The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would you allow this character in your game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Would you allow this character in your game? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the kids at the academy before the clone wars, Luke's training on Dagobah, and Rey's training in Last Jedi. 106 days to go from 0D to 4D.

Luke and Rey started farther along than 0D. That's part of why neither one of them needed to spend 106 days. But that's not what I want to focus on. I'm making a theoretical padawan character, I'm thinking about those kids at the academy.

The kids are trained by Yoda until they are ready to go off an be apprenticed to a Jedi. How trained are they before they get chosen by Jedi Knights to start their apprenticeship?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's the character sketch I have right now for the character.

- Born 200-300 years before the clone wars.

- Sent to the Academy as a young child after a standard midi-chlorian test

- Excelled in his jedi studies under Yoda.

- When it came time to be chosen as a padawan by a Jedi Knight, no one chose him. He was assigned to the Jedi Services Corps, against his heavy protests.

- He was sent to his first assignment via passenger ship.

- Pirates attacked the passenger ship. They fought off the pirates, but lost their hyperdrives and communications, among other systems.

- They traveled to the nearest system via relativistic travel. They only experienced a month, but arrived hundreds of years later under the rule of the Empire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a ship hit 'relativistic' speeds to where time dilation becomes that big?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed the technology was already there. It is a matter of accelerating fast enough and handling the acceleration. Star Wars has acceleration compensators and advanced engines.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-for-humans-to-ever-travel-at-or-near-the-speed-of-light-If-not-what-is-the-fastest-we-can-possibly-go
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zarn! Good to know
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated. Swapped out Absorb/Dissipate Energy for Enhanced Attribute. As much as I love the idea of blocking blaster bolts with my hands, Enhanced Attribute is more useful, more practical, and since that's the force power that you use for force speed and force jump, every Jedi seems to know it.

Control Powers
Enhance Attribute
Accelerate Healing
Concentration
Control Pain

Sense Powers
Combat Sense
Danger Sense
Life Detections
Life Sense
Magnify Senses
Receptive Telepathy
Translate

Alter Powers
Telekinesis

Sense & Control
Lightsaber Combat
Projective Telepathy

Control and Alter
Accelerate Another's Healing

Control, Sense & Alter
Battle Meditation

Not a very strong starting character, I admit. Those sense powers are surprisingly useful. I'd probably keep danger sense up most of the time, then drop it when combat starts to bring up Combat Sense and then Lightsaber combat.

I'm tempted to swap out Magnify Senses for Beast Languages, but I think Magnify would see significantly more use in most games. Although, if I ever did use Beast Languages, I think I would really enjoy that. I'd talk that over with the GM before I decided anything.

I haven't played in a Star Wars game since I posted this, just GMed them. I may bring this guy in as a GM character at some point. I really like the concept of a Youngling/Padawan from centuries past showing up in the Rebellion time period. I'd love to play it out.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm rewatching Clone Wars on the Netflix, because Rebels is likely never coming to Netflix what with Disney's new streaming service threatening to start sometime in the next 20 years. As I'm watching the show I'm analyzing the powers the characters are using, trying to fit them into the D6 system.

I can't help but think I'd be doing a better job of this with my 3D force skills, 1D regular skills padawan than these guys are doing as full Jedi. As a GM I've got most of the powers memorized. I know the mechanics behind them.

I'm almost shouting at the screen, "Use Life Sense to track Cad Bane!" or "You're about to enter combat, drop Danger Sense and roll Combat Sense so next round you can roll Concentration and Starship gunnery!" Or "Telekinesis to the knee! Telekinesis to the knee!" Or "Why are all the Jedi out in the field? Where's the one master sitting on the bridge keeping Enhanced Coordination up? The skill bonus your entire fighting force will get from Enhanced Coordinationis extremely useful."

And is it just me or do these guys never use sense powers? So many of their problems could be solved with Life Detection. You're on guard duty, keep up Life Detection and Danger Sense. Granted, this would make it harder for the writers...

The villain is making an escape in his starship, reach out with the force and take the keys out of the ignition, or hit the off button, or better yet, the eject button. That would be hilarious, and effective.

All of this just makes me want to play the character more.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sw-e.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12256
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control 1D
Alter 1D
Sense 1D

All this makes sense as a starting character, as well as using 6D to improve the skills to 3D each.

According to the rules you learn ONE force power pr PIP, though it said that on creation you get ONE power pr 1D you start with.

1D+1, 1D+2
each grants ONE power if you have a teacher
this means equals to THREE (3) Powers pr D above the initial 1D (for starting characters)

So a character should have 6 powers (slots for each of the skills) + 3
1 each for the first 1D, then +1 power pr pip

this is why you NEVER make a force user from start, but check the "force sensitive" slot at character creation

It is also said, though it would NOT be a starting character (unless boosted)
that you CAN lean at individual cost extra powers.
This means that you can at 3D in all three force skills know ALL powers and ue them for what the 3D value is worth
this cost cp though

from a fluff perspective and one at least for the most part supported by RAW
you can have padawans with a huge number of powers, even more powers than their skill level would indicate
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've started a character as force sensitive and tried to learn jedi skills as I've gone along it took forever and most of the time I couldn't get the skills activated without using CPs, and the more CPs I used the less I had to spend on leveling Jedi skills. A Catch 22. It was frustrating.

Starting with Jedi skills lets me play with the powers I want to from the onset. Granted, I won't be able to rush into combat, but I don't plan on playing the character like a murderhobo. Using force powers well is what appeals to me about this character. It's hard to use force powers you don't have.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
When I've started a character as force sensitive and tried to learn jedi skills as I've gone along it took forever and most of the time I couldn't get the skills activated without using CPs, and the more CPs I used the less I had to spend on leveling Jedi skills. A Catch 22. It was frustrating.

Starting with Jedi skills lets me play with the powers I want to from the onset. Granted, I won't be able to rush into combat, but I don't plan on playing the character like a murderhobo. Using force powers well is what appeals to me about this character. It's hard to use force powers you don't have.

it can be a catch 22, it is part of the challenge

What i always found somewaht silly was that the force skills go towards the attribute dice on creation, leaving only 15D bot the mundane attributes, where as a force sensitive (only) character with no force training have his full 18D, and just like a force trained character, after creation it is given that they either learn their new powers by them selves, at the higher cost of cp and time and all that.
Or that they quest and find a holocron containing some knowledge on learning certain pwers, or they find a teacher.

However

D 3D
K 2D
P 3D
M 2D
S 3D
T 2D

C 1D
S 1D
A 1D

and

D 4D
K 3D
P 3D
M 2D
S 3D
T 3D

C 0D
S 0D
A 0D

These two are very differen and the latter one is by far more powerful.

How many CP is a 1D to ALL SKILLS under one attribute?
Which and how many attributes have 1D less than a mundane character.

How useful is a 1D to force powers

What is the cost to rise a SKILL (not attribute) for an already force sensitive?

Now if we sacrifice skill dice to raise the force skills to 2D
we now have 3D less on skills in total

meaning unless we can compenzate on 1to 1 basis with our selected powers in ANY AND ALL skills and attributes with the force sensitive non trained ( the one with no rank in control, sense and alter) at creation.

give both 100Cp, the force trained now has to either spend this on the force , devide them, or spend them all on the mundane skills to match up the non trained force sensitive, who has 3D more in attributes, giving an actual 1D to ALL skills under these attributes, in addition to 3D more to skills.

the force sensitive, will not suffer a CP cost higher than the "jedi" after creation, and the +3D to attributes and +3D (or more), makes the force trained at a disadvantage he can never catch up to.

If we look at many of the "iconic" characters we see 18D +Any force skill dice, leaving them at a minimum 21D or them being force sensitives, untrained in the force skills with 18D and using CP through training

Luke has 18D, he was a force sensitive but NOT trained in the force before he met Ben.

I would make a fore sensitive character, spend 0D on force skills, then use in game CP to learn these either by my self or through questing.

if you give both 100 CP, the +#D attribute and +3D to 6D to skills makes any force sensitive but untrained character by far superior to any "jedi" at equal CP after creation, as they may not be better in the force, but they are in all other skills, and need not use the force for things the "jedi" musrt
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Control 1D
Alter 1D
Sense 1D

All this makes sense as a starting character, as well as using 6D to improve the skills to 3D each.

According to the rules you learn ONE force power pr PIP, though it said that on creation you get ONE power pr 1D you start with.

So a starting character at 3d in each, by logic should have 9 powers total. Not 21...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

So a starting character at 3d in each, by logic should have 9 powers total. Not 21...

We argued this out last year in this thread. RAW 2E R&E states you can learn one power for every pip you improve a force skill after 1D. RAW makes no distinction between learning those skills at character creation or as you play the game.

As a GM you have the prerogative to limit that.

Mamatried, I would argue that the trade off is having those powers the entire time. Yes, characters that start out with 18 attribute dice and are force sensitive will theoretically end up with a higher total in skill dice at the end of the game. With this character I want to start as close to being a Jedi as I can, and I accept those limitations.

Personally I think this would be a great deal of fun.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
With this character I want to start as close to being a Jedi as I can, and I accept those limitations.

Personally I think this would be a great deal of fun.

Fun fun, the "jedi" builds are always interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: