The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building a Droid...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Building a Droid... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Am I the only one who sees the equipment on templates as "suggestions suitable to the character type, pending GM approval"?

No, I believe that's exactly what I've been promoting.
Raven Redstar
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind giving Droids certain pieces of add-ons as equipment, so long as they don't grant large inherent bonuses to skills, or get used to counteract weak skills or ones the droid is not programmed with.

I've never had a player who wanted to play a droid, ever, in almost 20 years of playing and running Star Wars. I think it's largely because droids are usually viewed as a "Sidekick" character, and all players want to be the star of the show.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't mind giving Droids certain pieces of add-ons as equipment, so long as they don't grant large inherent bonuses to skills, or get used to counteract weak skills or ones the droid is not programmed with.

I've never had a player who wanted to play a droid, ever, in almost 20 years of playing and running Star Wars. I think it's largely because droids are usually viewed as a "Sidekick" character, and all players want to be the star of the show.

Over the years, i think i've met only 2 players who EVER were willing to give droid pcs a chance.
Zarn
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; it's rare to see anyone interested in a droid pc.

Last edited by Zarn on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kytross
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried making a player droid many times. I find the official rules are inadequate.

My house rule for PC droid creation is simple: Treat them like a PC.

Specifically a human. 18D Attribute dice, 7D Skill dice. All attributes are 2D minimum, 4D Maximum.

I treat attachments like gear. Make sure each player get roughly the same amount of stat boosts from their gear as the other players do.

If you want to use the official droid creation rules, good luck!
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I've tried making a player droid many times. I find the official rules are inadequate.

Specifically a human. 18D Attribute dice, 7D Skill dice. All attributes are 2D minimum, 4D Maximum.

I treat attachments like gear. Make sure each player get roughly the same amount of stat boosts from their gear as the other players do.

You know, what if we switched that up?

Droids are built with 7D attribute Dice, and 18D skill dice. This would make the default droid pretty generally lousy at most things (1D attributes), but of average competence in one area (2D attribute), and with a lot of specialized knowledge (18D skill dice).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

Seconded. A droid PC is going to be an exceptional droid anyway.

Again, I recommend the Advantage / Disadvantage system from D6 Space to give it some structure. Attachments that provide bonuses to skills and attributes can be treated like Special Abilities, whereas basic attachments like the saw on an Astromech can be treated as starting equipment.

One thing that might be fun for a Swiss Army Droid like the Astromech is an Omni-Gadget. There was a DC super heroes game a while back that used these for Batman’s utility belt, and he could basically invent a gadget for a specific purpose as needed mid-game. There were limitations and penalties, but it always seemed in the films as though Artoo always had some new gadget that did just what he needed it to do at any given moment. That could be a fun incentive for an Astromech character.
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

Right on!

MrNexx wrote:
You know, what if we switched that up?

Droids are built with 7D attribute Dice, and 18D skill dice. This would make the default droid pretty generally lousy at most things (1D attributes), but of average competence in one area (2D attribute), and with a lot of specialized knowledge (18D skill dice).

A whole lotta nope to this! IMO, attribute dice and skill dice should not be equated (including being reversed).

CRMcNeill wrote:
Seconded. A droid PC is going to be an exceptional droid anyway.

Thirded!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Again, I recommend the Advantage / Disadvantage system from D6 Space to give it some structure. Attachments that provide bonuses to skills and attributes can be treated like Special Abilities, whereas basic attachments like the saw on an Astromech can be treated as starting equipment.

One thing that might be fun for a Swiss Army Droid like the Astromech is an Omni-Gadget. There was a DC super heroes game a while back that used these for Batman’s utility belt, and he could basically invent a gadget for a specific purpose as needed mid-game. There were limitations and penalties, but it always seemed in the films as though Artoo always had some new gadget that did just what he needed it to do at any given moment. That could be a fun incentive for an Astromech character.

Good ideas!
Registration & Log-In Help
Kytross
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

If you decide to use this method, I recommend not allowing your PC droid to use software, aka skillware, to improve skills. This has the potential to seriously unbalance the game. I tell my players that this droids advanced brain is incompatible with standard skillware.

The advantage to being a droid is that you don't need to eat or breathe, you can survive in space without a suit, and you can always be repaired even after your character 'dies.'

The disadvantage to playing a droid is that you can not heal naturally. You must be repaired. Also, you may be owned and society tends to treat you like property.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Krytoss.

I've had a few Droid characters over the years in my games from Assassin to Probe Droids. The standard rules can work but I found it easier to do just as you did and treat them as a PC.

They pick a core model, I come up with Attribute Min/Max based on the flavour of the design and they get standard 18/7D.
I let them have as many attachments from the core model as I think is 'fair' in balance with the other PCs or even appropriate attachments to the new concept.

My most recent player was a Labor Droid that had been modified by criminals to slice so he got a scomp link/data access attachment in his finger!

No Force points, repair not heal and upgrades skills with CPs.

Kytross wrote:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: