The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battery Dice for Capital Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Battery Dice for Capital Ships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
At the risk of reopening an older post, I had a question about how this might apply in a specific situation. Say a Victory Star Destroyer is attacked by a Nebulon B, a Corvette, and several fighter Squadrons. The rebels obviously want to split up.. so with one ship in the front arc, one in the side arc, and fighters to the rear, how do you determine which battery dice you can use to overcome MAP using this system?

Well, the Battery Dice conversion I posted above was based on the x2 = +1D formula, so if you are splitting the Battery Dice between multiple targets in the same arc, just turn that formula on its head and subtract 1D of Battery Dice every time the number of targets in that Fire Arc doubles.

Obviously, this will be harder to do with odd numbers of attackers, or attackers that don't cleanly fit with the doubling progression (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.). I see three possible ways to handle this:
    1). Rounded Up: Say you have three attackers; just round it up to four, then reduce the Battery Dice by -2D

2). Rounded Down. Same three attackers, but round down to two, then reduce the Battery Dice by -1D

3). Tiered. Three attackers again, so you split the guns so that half of them are firing at one attacker at -1D Battery Dice, then take the other half of the guns, split them in half again with an additional -1D Battery Dice, so that you are engaging one target (presumably the largest) with -1D Battery Dice and two others with -2D Battery Dice.

Also, something occurred to me while I was thinking of this. While most ships in the RAW have weapons with only a single fire arc, a lot of the ships I redid the stats for have weapons that can fire in more than one arc. I wasn't sure how I could apply multiple fire arcs to battery dice, but what I'm thinking is splitting the Battery Dice into Fixed and Discretionary. For example, a ship might have 1D Battery Dice in the Front, Left and Right Fire Arcs, with an additional 1D Discretionary Dice that can be put into any one of those arcs.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Dice for Capital Ships Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Something I've been toying with is, rather than giving ship stats a specific number of weapons, simply saying that a ship has turbolaser batteries, and then giving a D rating that is used as a dice pool when allocating fire. For example, rather than saying an ISD I has 60 turbolaser batteries allocated equally between the Front, Left and Right Arcs, the stat would read like so:
    Turbolaser Batteries
    Fire Arcs: 4D Front, 4D Left, 4D Right
That number can then be allocated by the ship's captain as a bonus to Damage, Fire Control, or could cancel out MAPs when firing at multiple targets.

While most of us are used to using the numbers generated by WEG, the simple fact of the matter is that we game in a system where fans have the dedication to pore over the various models and come up with actual numbers for how many turbolaser batteries a given capital ship may have.

That's why I'm wondering if a non-specific D rating might be less prone to dispute in stat writing. It won't really matter exactly how many guns an ISD has, because the Battery Dice would just be an aggregate rating of how well the various cannon can coordinate their fire.

Thoughts?

So basically you fire 'one' cannon and apply the dice pool to damage or to hit or to cancel maps?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Dice for Capital Ships Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
So basically you fire 'one' cannon and apply the dice pool to damage or to hit or to cancel maps?

Correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: