The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

time to put on/take off armor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> time to put on/take off armor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: time to put on/take off armor? Reply with quote

Say the party is not in 'combat gear' but are carrying it to where they are going. How long would you say it would take to say put on a suit of standard combat armor?
A combat jumpsuit?
Flak vest.?
Power armor?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat armor? If you've got people helping you, probably less than 10 minutes.
Combat jumpsuit? If you've got people helping you, probably less than 5 minutes.
Flak vest? Less than 5 minutes, solo. Back when I was doing my mandatory service in the army, we had our gear on (with cold weather underoos) in less than 5 minutes, provided it was stored properly.
Power armor? Putting on a space suit takes about 30 minutes. Let's say that power armor is half that, about 15 minutes.

In comparison, with help, a pilot preparing to fly the U2 can get his pressure suit on in about 5 minutes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not a "Get it put on in combat" time frame..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, no. Maybe a blast vest or blast helmet - using an action or two to just jam it over your head and not giving a hootin' heck about straps and so on. Heavier armor? I don't think so.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This calls for an EXPERIMENT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24y_ZmxRHg
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
This calls for an EXPERIMENT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24y_ZmxRHg

Phenomenal channel. Still, you'd expect armor with starwars level tech to be much faster, no? I agree that helmets and vest/jacket style light armor should be a matter of a number of MAP compliant actions (or 1-2 full round actions at most), but even high end powered armor might well have magnetic fitting assisters, static locks, etc. precluding the need for a helper.

Powered armor is almost certainly more "boarded" than "donned" in my opinion. I can't find it on google presently, but in one of the WEG books there is an image of a bodysuited stormtrooper getting into a spacetrooper I armor through a hatch in the back.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen of the armors, stormtrooper-esque
they seem to have clasps on the sides of the torso armor platings, much like a vest, fastened in the sides and not in the front.

The leg, arm, and possibly shoulders seems to be attachable.

now with this in mind, I would say going from no armor to full armor is a lengthy thing, hence why the troopers use the armor THAT much and in almost every job they do.

Getting it on partly, as in getting the chest piece I would allow in 1-2 rounds, after all pulling a ring over your head and hooking clasps in the sies doesn't take long.

Now once we begin to go with the attachable arm and leg plates I would argue they combined take quite some time.....so a couple of minutes, maybe even as much as five.

I don't see armor being on and off in the field, so whatever time it take to done, is done well in advance.

Picking up an armor and getting into it.....if you are lucky and the armor fits, then I would give it at least twice the normal time, maybe up to 15 minutes depending.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
...Getting it on partly, as in getting the chest piece I would allow in 1-2 rounds, after all pulling a ring over your head and hooking clasps in the sies doesn't take long

Are you suggesting that armor partially donned in this fashion would function as an ad hoc blast vest?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
...Getting it on partly, as in getting the chest piece I would allow in 1-2 rounds, after all pulling a ring over your head and hooking clasps in the sies doesn't take long

Are you suggesting that armor partially donned in this fashion would function as an ad hoc blast vest?

An ad hoc blast vest ....at best, yes maybe I actually didn't consider that, more on how long it take to put the "vest" over your head, and then clamp it shut.

I suppose it could be used as an ad hoc in this case, but who dones armor in the field, and if you don't want to show off, then have an armored bodyglove, or something.

I can't imagine when donning an armor in combat would ever happen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: