The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Jedi Order Books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> New Jedi Order Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: New Jedi Order Books Reply with quote

I wonder how well the series sold. I was not a fan when they were being published. When I wanted Star Wars, I wanted my old, comfortable Star Wars.

Then, I read the comics series called Star Wars Invasion, and it was pretty good. That was my introduction to the Yuuzong Vong, and the comic did a damn good job of making me interested in them.

The series saw 19 books published over a period of a few years. But, there were also several cancelled books.

My impression was that the NJO books sold, but they didn't sell like gangbusters. I felt like the publisher kept trying to pump life into the series, but the public wasn't buying like they wanted them too.

This is only my gut feeling. I have no proof either way.

I know that the first book, Vector Prime, killed off Chewie, and that made national news.

Does anyone know how the series sold?

Have you read any of the books? If so, do you like them? Would you recommend them?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the writing very good for the most part, but some areas i didnt like (like the whole Vergre, the force is not good or bad, its who uses it crapola)...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly how well the series sold and my google-fu has failed to find that info, but my impression is that all Star Wars books sell pretty well. A comparison to other Star Wars series would be interesting, but I'm pretty sure that none of the books bombed.

I only bought the first book and never read it because I heard the spoiler that Chewbacca died. That really irked me because he is my favorite non-human Star Wars character. I get that he was harder to write for in novel form than show in film, but come on! You can't kill Chewie! I got rid of my copy, and Vector Prime was the end of me buying post-RotJ novels. I didn't know that Rogue Planet was a prequel era tie-in to NJO or I would have skipped that one. It was horrible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had to have a MOON dropped on him, to kill him though...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only way to kill a bulletproof wookiee.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It's the only way to kill a bulletproof wookiee.

LOL. And, it was close! The moon only had one damage die more than Chewie's STR rating.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he spent a force point... so it had to be a moon.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I found the writing very good for the most part, but some areas i didnt like (like the whole Vergre, the force is not good or bad, its who uses it crapola)...

I never read the series, having already grown tired of the EU books by the time we hit the Black Fleet Crisis series. The characters seemed frozen in amber to me, unable to actually grow or change. I get why they did that, but the whole thing just felt played out.

When I heard about the Vong, though, the whole thing struck me as more appropriate to Star Trek, and too far outside of what "Star Wars" was for me to bother. Hearing that they killed Chewie in the process just made me decide "Yeah, I won't be incorporating that into MY Star Wars canon."

That said, the notion of "The Force is neither good nor evil, but rather simply a force. How you use it is what matters" is interesting to me, and has been for a while. I like the idea of "grey Jedi" even though it somewhat contradicts what Yoda said about going down the path of the dark side.

Some of that, however, plays on how the Jedi were portrayed in the prequels in opposition to the Sith. That, like, the Jedi are always calm, cool, and collected, even detached, but the Sith are all about passion and emotion. That strikes me as a really unbalanced approach to the Force, and (in my mind) is a big part of why the Jedi fell.

So, the way I see it, there's nothing wrong with tapping into passion, even anger, in how you act as a Jedi. What matters far more is your ultimate motivation. Are you there to protect others, or to advance yourself? Are your goals fundamentally good or bad, and then is the way you accomplish them good or bad?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I never read the series, having already grown tired of the EU books by the time we hit the Black Fleet Crisis series. The characters seemed frozen in amber to me, unable to actually grow or change. I get why they did that, but the whole thing just felt played out.

I agree about the changelessness of the heroes. I bet LucasFilm wouldn't let them take too many liberties.

It's like Flash Gordon. He doesn't grow old or change. He's just Flash who loves Dale and hates Ming.

Quote:
When I heard about the Vong, though, the whole thing struck me as more appropriate to Star Trek, and too far outside of what "Star Wars" was for me to bother. Hearing that they killed Chewie in the process just made me decide "Yeah, I won't be incorporating that into MY Star Wars canon."

At the time, I would agree.

I find myself starting to hunger for it. I may start reading the series.

The comic I read, Invasion, did a fantastic job of setting a GREAT new and DIFFERENT bad guy. It's not the Sith again. It's not the Empire again. But, it's now something different and damn cool--very space opera--a warrior race who only uses organic technology.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I find myself starting to hunger for it. I may start reading the series.

The comic I read, Invasion, did a fantastic job of setting a GREAT new and DIFFERENT bad guy. It's not the Sith again. It's not the Empire again. But, it's now something different and damn cool--very space opera--a warrior race who only uses organic technology.

That's one of my main reasons i liked the Vong. They were NOT just rehashing the ole Empire/super-weapon of the week thing..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: