The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Why are lightsabers Banned by the Empire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Why are lightsabers Banned by the Empire?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Why are lightsabers Banned by the Empire? Reply with quote

In canon and most legend sources we know the story, the jedi and the jadda jadda.

However the lightfoils were not, though not common as blue milk they had little to no restrictions in the empire as a whole.
the difference is 1D flat damage, depending on crystal and construction rules as well as modifications done.

so why then ban the lightsaber and not the foil?

and how would a stormtrooper, or some other non dark side force user, or trained to recognize A from B distinguish between the two?

I didn't want to necro a 12+yr old thread here on lightfoil
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the lightsaber is basically the symbol of the Jedi. So it is essentially a symbol of the persecuted, religious minority.

The lightfoil was almost exclusively used in Tapani sector, and then mostly by privileged Imperial nobles. A Stormtrooper would likely not question a noble to any significant extent.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Because the lightsaber is basically the symbol of the Jedi. So it is essentially a symbol of the persecuted, religious minority.

The lightfoil was almost exclusively used in Tapani sector, and then mostly by privileged Imperial nobles. A Stormtrooper would likely not question a noble to any significant extent.

I know both these reasons, but isn't it really the same weapon?
only with lesser quality crystals used and not force imbued.

So it is like banning blaster A because of whatnot, but allowing Blaster A1, A2 and A3, but blaster A is banned.

I really don't see much difference, other than the weapons will "work with" the force.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that lightfoils are also illegal.

During the Imperial Era, they have an availability of 4,X. X meaning illegal.

Quote:
Being a thirds son in a lesser family in your house did not exactly mark you for greatness. Resentful that most of your parents' attention focused on your older brothers and bored with your life, you looked elsewhere for a sens of belonging, pride, and excitement. You found your niche among the small and exclusive band of young nobles called the saber rakes. As a saber rake, you dress as dashingly as you can afford, amuse yourself with your companions, and practice the art of dueling with the lightfoil-a small and petite (and banned) version of the classic lightsaber

The above is the copied background from the Saber Rake Template.

I think that the Rakes manage to 'get away' with using them, because they're used behind closed doors and only among other nobles, they don't have duels out in public. Money and exclusivity allow them to operate.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
My understanding is that lightfoils are also illegal.

During the Imperial Era, they have an availability of 4,X. X meaning illegal.

Quote:
Being a thirds son in a lesser family in your house did not exactly mark you for greatness. Resentful that most of your parents' attention focused on your older brothers and bored with your life, you looked elsewhere for a sens of belonging, pride, and excitement. You found your niche among the small and exclusive band of young nobles called the saber rakes. As a saber rake, you dress as dashingly as you can afford, amuse yourself with your companions, and practice the art of dueling with the lightfoil-a small and petite (and banned) version of the classic lightsaber

The above is the copied background from the Saber Rake Template.

I think that the Rakes manage to 'get away' with using them, because they're used behind closed doors and only among other nobles, they don't have duels out in public. Money and exclusivity allow them to operate.

yeah seems reasonable.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the way it is in the US right now, so if its a question of "why" then chalk it up to government incompetence and political placating to certain groups of people.

Mamatried wrote:
Zarn wrote:

I know both these reasons, but isn't it really the same weapon?
only with lesser quality crystals used and not force imbued.

So it is like banning blaster A because of whatnot, but allowing Blaster A1, A2 and A3, but blaster A is banned.

I really don't see much difference, other than the weapons will "work with" the force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Add to that, imo the imperials probably kept tabs ON all saber rakes and foil dilettantes, just in case one may have croped up force powers..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Add to that, imo the imperials probably kept tabs ON all saber rakes and foil dilettantes, just in case one may have croped up force powers..

That could make for an interesting Imperial campaign: the PCs are members of the Inquisitorus who have to quietly investigate rumors of Force-sensitives among the saber rakes and need to be discreet because the saber rakes' connections to noble families. And then there's the question of what the Inquisitors do next when a Force-sensitive saber rake happens to be a member of a very well connected Imperial noble family who won't take kindly to having one of their own kidnapped....
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That could make for an interesting Imperial campaign: the PCs are members of the Inquisitorus who have to quietly investigate rumors of Force-sensitives among the saber rakes and need to be discreet because the saber rakes' connections to noble families. And then there's the question of what the Inquisitors do next when a Force-sensitive saber rake happens to be a member of a very well connected Imperial noble family who won't take kindly to having one of their own kidnapped....

Or, of course, perhaps the party of non-Imperials needs to find a lightsaber and force instructor, which leads them to the saber-rakes... and a hidden Jedi, who knows a few things worth teaching.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That could make for a great campaign!
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say the same thing, that sounds like a great campaign idea
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That could make for a great campaign!

Mamatried wrote:
I was about to say the same thing, that sounds like a great campaign idea.

Thanks. As a former player of Vampire: the Masquerade (and still a big fan of it), I've had a bit of experience in political intrigue RPG campaigns. I can't remember where I read it (maybe it was implied by General Madine in The Rebel Sourcebook?), but I remember reading that one reason the Rebellion had an advantage against the Empire was that many Imperial officers were greedy backstabbers who wouldn't hesitate to inform on a superior if it meant they could slide into a cushier job.

I remember reading somewhere else that the Emperor even encouraged infighting among his advisors so that they would concentrate on backstabbing each other rather than try to overthrow him. Which indeed makes sense of the goal is to remain in power, but it does nothing for the long term health of the Imperial government if everyone is on the take. Then again, this is the Emperor we're talking about here, so that's almost certainly a feature and not a bug.

So yeah, an Imperial campaign that reflects the notion that your fellow Imperials are at least as dangerous as the Rebels rings true to me. The idea that you can't blast your enemies or slice them up with your red lightsaber means that you have to find more...unconventional methods to get rid of your enemies makes this Inquisitorus campaign idea even more interesting.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

I remember reading somewhere else that the Emperor even encouraged infighting among his advisors so that they would concentrate on backstabbing each other rather than try to overthrow him. Which indeed makes sense of the goal is to remain in power, but it does nothing for the long term health of the Imperial government if everyone is on the take. Then again, this is the Emperor we're talking about here, so that's almost certainly a feature and not a bug.

IIRC that was in the imp sourcebook..

Sutehp wrote:
So yeah, an Imperial campaign that reflects the notion that your fellow Imperials are at least as dangerous as the Rebels rings true to me. The idea that you can't blast your enemies or slice them up with your red lightsaber means that you have to find more...unconventional methods to get rid of your enemies makes this Inquisitorus campaign idea even more interesting.

Man, as a fellow VTM fan, i'd LOVE to play in an intrigue based SW game like that..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: