The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help Me Find...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Help Me Find...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Help Me Find... Reply with quote

I thought I had read something about a minimum amount of time usually needed after a ship exits hyperspace before it can re-jump to hyperspace again. Something about a hot drive coil or something.

I know that the Hasty rule allows for jumping inside of one combat round, but the question is...what if you just exited hyperspace? Can you jump that fast?

I may be confusing my games...maybe I'm thinking of Traveller.

But, I could have sworn that I saw something about a minimum amount of time a ship needs after exiting jump before it can jump again.

Am I losing my mind?

Do you know where I might have read that?
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-universe there certainly is a time before "the hyperdrive is ready" in every instance I've encountered hyperdrives and mentioning of how they work, but can't say I know the game's rules for ships too well. It may refer to having to calculate for a new , safe route, but the coil cooldown or something seems like a reasonable limiter too.

What if someone had two hyperdrives installed on their ships? Then someone might be able to jump again almost immediately, even with the coil cooldown or whatever. On the other hand hyperdrives are expensive, as they aren't built to smaller crafts like TIE-fighters, or another example is from Phantom Menace when Watto tells Qui-Gon it's better to buy a new ship than trying to buy a new hyperdrive.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
In-universe there certainly is a time before "the hyperdrive is ready" in every instance I've encountered hyperdrives and mentioning of how they work, but can't say I know the game's rules for ships too well. It may refer to having to calculate for a new , safe route, but the coil cooldown or something seems like a reasonable limiter too.

What if someone had two hyperdrives installed on their ships? Then someone might be able to jump again almost immediately, even with the coil cooldown or whatever. On the other hand hyperdrives are expensive, as they aren't built to smaller crafts like TIE-fighters, or another example is from Phantom Menace when Watto tells Qui-Gon it's better to buy a new ship than trying to buy a new hyperdrive.

Hmmm... that could be an interesting option, if the coil thing is true.

Jump to point A. Use backup hyperdrive to make a jump to point B. That should give you time to jump to point C using your main hyperdrive.

It wouldn't be a method to increase speed, but rather to rapidly s*** position to throw off pursuit.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the hot drive coil part, but there is a yellow box in the second column on page 118 of The 2nd ED R&E under the heading 'Make Calculations for the Jump to Hyperspace' that may have some of the Information you are looking for Wajeb Deb Kaadeb

Xain
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And IIRC of that, it mentions
character making an astrogation roll needs to make
calculations for the jump to hyperspace.
Calculating a route takes one minute if the character
is using a well-travelled route or is using precalculated
coordinates. (In emergencies, a character
can try to jump into hyperspace in one round instead
of one minute.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
I don't know about the hot drive coil part, but there is a yellow box in the second column on page 118 of The 2nd ED R&E under the heading 'Make Calculations for the Jump to Hyperspace' that may have some of the Information you are looking for Wajeb Deb Kaadeb

Xain

That's not quite it. IIRC, it was a section that talked about typical journeys, and the minimum number an Astrogation difficulty could be reduced to.

I could have sworn it was in SW, but maybe it was Traveller.

I'm getting old. I forget these things. Crying or Very sad
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any restriction like that in RAW, technologically speaking, though I would definitely agree with it logistically. The trick of entering hyperspace lies in the "hyperspace calculations" that everyone is familiar with. To me what this means is about calculating the vectors and trajectories through Space. So even if you have two or more sets of calculations pre-loaded into your nav puter, the pilot has to take the time after arriving in realspace, to align the ship to the exact coordinate and absolute "direction" in 3-D that matches the second set of programmed trajectories, before he can launch the second jump. That is the practical constraint of immediately re-entering hyperspace.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the FTL drives needing time to cool off, reenergize, etc. is a common trope from battletech to babylon 5.. In starwars, I suppose you might do something like having two main drives rather than a main drive and a backup. Combined with two NaviComputers (or additional droid brains slaved to the unit as seen on the falcon..) perhaps it allows for rapid jumps in the fashion suggested? One might then have an entire extra course preset, and a fresh hyperdrive to employ.. merely requiring two switches to be flipped before executing another jump, correct?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC there is a rule (can't remember where) about you can't physically have 2 primary hyperdrives. They interfere with one another. Hence why it takes a little time if your primary s*** the bed, to switch over to use the back up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: