The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How Do You Run Space Combat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How Do You Run Space Combat?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: How Do You Run Space Combat? Reply with quote

How Do You Run Space Combat in your games?

Do you use a hexmap or grid?

Do you describe to your players what you see in your mind's eye and play without visual aids or maps?

Do you use Star Warriors?

Do you run many space battles?
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Star Wars Micro Machines I use to represent approximate distances, with some counters used for height. I find it helps for the players (especially the pilot and gunner) to have an idea of relative positions as it can be difficult to describe things in such a way for us all to have a the same visualisation/spatial awareness.

I try to add narrative flair to help describe it all, rather than just move pieces on a board:
"You twist the controls sharply to the right, almost making the 180 degree turn you intended. The first 2 fighters are caught off guard and slam in to the side of the asteroid. The remaining TIE easily evades the ploy and lines up perfectly behind you" Moves ships to demonstrate

I don't tend to run too many space battles. Largely through fear of killing the entire party in a situation where they have little ability to act (aside from the pilot and gunner).
This means when it does happen the tension is heightened. and the pilot gets their chance to shine (without having to fear every game session will have the potential for her to kill the entire group by accident)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only use visual aids when it matters (the player asks, "what do I see" or some such). Other than that, it's pure narrative (other than dice rolling, of course).
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the group. I had one group a while back that couldn't follow my descriptions so we needed to use models. I broke out a gray Lego plate, make crude Lego facsimiles of the ships and put them on black one Lego cylinders to get the 3D effect. So every round I would change the board, adding or losing height, and repositioning the pieces so everyone could see where everything was.

My current group doesn't seem to need that level of detail. We've only done a bit of space combat, but they haven't needed me to draw anything out yet.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Run Space Combat? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
How Do You Run Space Combat in your games?

Do you use a hexmap or grid?

Yup. just like with cha vs cha or vech vs vech combat. I even add in markers for height, to give it that 3d feel. However, not every space combat do i bother breaking the markers/tokens out... Some groups just prefer 'minds eye', but others prefer the tactical approach using minis gives.

Quote:

Do you run many space battles?

Fighter vs freighter (pcs in the latter, enemies in the former), all the time. At least one combat per adventure session should imo be in space, and 1 on the ground..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to have a space combat sequence in almost every adventure because... Star Wars. (It can't always be the Empire so there are a lot of pirates in my SWU.) I usually don't use a hex map because space is three dimensional so a hex doesn't really represent it well. So it is usually described and somewhat abstract, but occasionally rough sketches are used here and there to assist.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
We only use visual aids when it matters (the player asks, "what do I see" or some such). Other than that, it's pure narrative (other than dice rolling, of course).

I run a varient of first edition, so it's entirely unreasonable to use a map.. but I use the occasional toy based visual aid in this way as well. It's much faster that way I find.

EDIT I am also playing about with a varient of those rules for on the ground combat, but it's in early playtesting so I can't really comment yet. Expect a post in the houserules section in a few months if it works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: