The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Are R2-D2 and C3PO Being Phased Out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Are R2-D2 and C3PO Being Phased Out?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Are R2-D2 and C3PO Being Phased Out? Reply with quote

We've seen little of them in the two main sequence movies. We've seen a lot of BB-8 (and, I admit, I love the little droid).

Are our favorite astromech and protocol droid going the way of everything else from the original trilogy, being left behind to make room for the new?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are R2-D2 and C3PO Being Phased Out? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
We've seen little of them in the two main sequence movies. We've seen a lot of BB-8 (and, I admit, I love the little droid).

Are our favorite astromech and protocol droid going the way of everything else from the original trilogy, being left behind to make room for the new?

It certainly seems like it. All to appease the little kiddos who much prefer BB-8 over R2 or 3po.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely because Antony Daniels can't keep doing it forever, and Kenny Baker is dead.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Threepio and Artoo are being "phased out" as in a premeditated plan to reduce their screen time to eventually eliminate them. These movies are being made one by one with no overarching plan. The characters just aren't being written for much screen time. It is more likely that they are filling a quota just to include them at all because they're beloved classic characters in every SW movie.

I'm pretty sure Anthony Daniels will do whatever the role requires. And Kenny Baker being gone (RIP) doesn't have much impact because even by RotJ in 83, they were already using the remote-control more than human Artoo. He was a part of TFA just to have his name in the credits of the Disney relaunch.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These movies are being made one by one with no overarching plan. The characters just aren't being written for much screen time. It is more likely that they are filling a quota just to include them at all because they're beloved classic characters in every SW movie.

And to some of us fans, that lack of a plan, does seem to scream that they are slowly but surely being written out, much like all the other older characters seems to be.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And to some of us fans, that lack of a plan, does seem to scream that they are slowly but surely being written out, much like all the other older characters seems to be.

Every generation gives way to the next one. I don't at all feel that TFA "wrote Han out" of the story, even knowing that Harrison Ford would only return if Han was killed off. My favorite Star Wars character had an instrumental role in the story and got an epic death. Han Solo got to be the Ben Kenobi of TFA! That gave much more to Star Wars than it took a way. Luke got a pretty fitting death in TLJ too. I'm not upset for the classic trinity not continuing on indefinitely in the films. Let them go out with a bang. The only one that has to be "written out" of the story is Leia because the actor died, and it may not be through offscreen character death.

Artoo isn't human anymore and Anthony Daniels will keep doing Threepio as long as he is physically able. I'm a bit upset at the reduction of these original droid roles. I even like BB-8, but I wish Artoo and Threepio could have bigger roles in the films. I just think they're straining to find ways of including them at all, not that they are intentionally and slowly phasing them out according to some premeditated plan.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: