The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Finn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Finn Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I notice that the First Edition rules do take the approach that the Lightsaber can be handled by anyone without training.

Check out page 31, under Dexterity Blank Skills. The lightsaber is used as an example of how to create/use a Blank Skill in the game.

And the quote from ANH is referenced:

Quote:
Luke: What is it?

Ben: Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

Then, page 49 flat out says that anyone can use a lightsaber without training. But, those trained in the Force can use the weapon in special ways.

In the hands of a Jedi, though, the weapon becomes more than what it is to everyone else. A Jedi's Control skill is added to increase the weapon's damage.

If a Jedi's Sense skill is higher than his Melee Parry skill, then he can substitute for the higher code when using the lightsaber to parry. And, there's a chance to damage a target's limb or weapon when parrying.

This fits what we see Finn do rather well.

isn't this sort of "allowing a human" to use the wookie bowcaster.
now I know this is a skill under dex, but is it something a human is familiar with?

As such is is like yes a human could use it, but only a wookie (is strong enough)to master it.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I notice that the First Edition rules do take the approach that the Lightsaber can be handled by anyone without training.

Check out page 31, under Dexterity Blank Skills. The lightsaber is used as an example of how to create/use a Blank Skill in the game.

And the quote from ANH is referenced:

Quote:
Luke: What is it?

Ben: Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

Then, page 49 flat out says that anyone can use a lightsaber without training. But, those trained in the Force can use the weapon in special ways.

In the hands of a Jedi, though, the weapon becomes more than what it is to everyone else. A Jedi's Control skill is added to increase the weapon's damage.

If a Jedi's Sense skill is higher than his Melee Parry skill, then he can substitute for the higher code when using the lightsaber to parry. And, there's a chance to damage a target's limb or weapon when parrying.

This fits what we see Finn do rather well.

isn't this sort of "allowing a human" to use the wookie bowcaster.
now I know this is a skill under dex, but is it something a human is familiar with?

As such is is like yes a human could use it, but only a wookie (is strong enough)to master it.

The Bowcaster is the other example in the section! Razz
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhkal, you totally misread my post.
Dewitt667
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. This my first post here and thank you for letting me voice my two cents. Sorry for any grammar and/or spelling errors.

I always thought, do to lightsabers blades having no weight or mass. It made it harder to index where the blade truly is when in motion and this was compounded by the blade’s field creating momentum when swung. The fact that the on screen fight scenes use circular motions and swings and there are very few straight up hacking motions in the first six movies. Do to these circular motions and movement a normal person, without the enhanced control and perception of a force user, would has major issues using a lightsaber outside of a controlled environment like a training center.

As far as Fen’s use of a lightsaber, I think the writers missed an opportunity. I left the theater thinking he was force sensitive and that is why his conditioning broke and the ease he could wield a lightsaber and could hold his own both against one of his own with one and fend off Kylo Ren for a time without any training with it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Dewitt667.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would *love* to see , on-screen, a random thug grab up a dropped lightsaber while it's owner was unconscious or distracted and start swinging it around...maybe slash through some conduits, maybe take out an opponent...and then promptly lop off one of his own arms or legs.

Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR one of his comrades..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always considered everyone can use a lightsaber as a melee weapon attendre her own risk with dexerity skill.
Jedi just overpower this weapon with the Force (reflect blaster shot, raise ability to hit and doing more damage).
In m'y game (house rule) lightsaber skilsl are advanced skills. Players have to learn (A) Shii-cho lightsaber combat form first (4D in melee parry and melee weapons needed). Then they are prerequisites to learn other forms.
Learning the way of the lightsaber take lots of time with this rule and then is conform with EU.
My 2 coppers

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: