The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chewie used his claws in TFA?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Chewie used his claws in TFA? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Chewie used his claws in TFA? Reply with quote

I remember hearing somewhere, I think it was from some excerpt that in one of the TFA novelizations that after the death of Han, Chewie used his claws and killed a stormtrooper.

Wouldn't this make him a madclaw?

Now I could be wrong and the books never said such a thing, and I sort of hope I am, I have not read them yet
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a "madclaw". Where'd you get that?

And, what is it?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookies have huge claws, used for climbing, among them there is an honor thing about never using the claws in combat, doing so brads them madclaws and outcasts
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Wookies have huge claws, used for climbing, among them there is an honor thing about never using the claws in combat, doing so brads them madclaws and outcasts

Oh, yeah. I think I remember that. Maybe from the Thrawn Trilogy?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Here it discusses that Chewie killed a FO stormtrooper after Han died in TFA junior novelization.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yes. Here it discusses that Chewie killed a FO stormtrooper after Han died in TFA junior novelization.

Does this make Cheiwe a madclaw?

Or are the nuances in their honor code on using the claws?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Whill wrote:

Does this make Cheiwe a madclaw?

Or are the nuances in their honor code on using the claws?

It seems that in Legends that would make him a "madclaw", but TFA does not exist in Legends. And according to Wookieepedia the term madclaw does not exist in canon. Yet anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, madclaws got jossed (or at least remains unconfirmed) in canon?

We're through the looking glass, people. Shocked
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the idea of wookiees having claws in the first place.
There is no evidence in the films.

It seems like something someone thought would be a good idea; "They live in trees? Claws would help them climb..." (Lots of primates climb just fine without climbing claws)

Which led to the problem of why they were never seen, considering they would be pretty effective when used by such a robust and powerful species.

"Oh...well...it's really dishonourable to do it in a fight. No one would respect you."

I tend to think restrictions like that would fall by the wayside when fighting the Empire that was enslaving your species.

But that's just my opinion.

I had hoped wookiee claws would get jettisoned with the EU...but if it has made the way into the TFA canon...I guess it's not going anywhere. Which means they will still need a reason why Wookiees haven't been using them...which means some concept of 'It's dishonourable' which logically means...madclaw concept likely continues, even if under some other name.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I'd have interpreted the madclaw restriction as applying when fighting someone who isn't equally armed... or another wookie. So, you can use your claws against someone with a knife or a sword or a club, but it's wrong to use them on the little ones not blessed with claws.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
There is no evidence in the films … the problem of why they were never seen …

It doesn’t bother me. In six hours of movie footage it wasn’t shown, so what? It makes sense the way Zahn portrayed it, and it’s a neat thing for a RPG. Humans consider it dishonorable to scratch with fingernails in combat, so, why not wookiees? Not sure about the “madclaw” concept per se; I’ve not come across that before.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

It doesn’t bother me. In six hours of movie footage it wasn’t shown, so what? It makes sense the way Zahn portrayed it, and it’s a neat thing for a RPG. Humans consider it dishonorable to scratch with fingernails in combat, so, why not wookiees? Not sure about the “madclaw” concept per se; I’ve not come across that before.

Yes I agree that there are certain types of attack that we don't typcally use as humans; see as less than honourable; fingernail scratching, hair pulling, groin punching.

Heck there was a time in the Western culture when kicking in a fight was considered something only girls do.

But to just give wookiees claws as an afterthought and decide they can't use them... it seems more likely to me that wookiee unarmed fighting would have developed around such formidable natural weapons, not despite them.

Again, pure opinion, but if I was going to have wookiees have claws, I would have justified Chewbacca not having any because the Empire de-clawed their slaves.

Personally makes more sense than, "Don't use your natural weaponry...because...we will call you a madclaw...and...tease you...or something."

Smile
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Falconer wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Yes I agree that there are certain types of attack that we don't typcally use as humans; see as less than honourable; fingernail scratching, hair pulling, groin punching.

Heck there was a time in the Western culture when kicking in a fight was considered something only girls do.

But to just give wookiees claws as an afterthought and decide they can't use them... it seems more likely to me that wookiee unarmed fighting would have developed around such formidable natural weapons, not despite them.

Again, pure opinion, but if I was going to have wookiees have claws, I would have justified Chewbacca not having any because the Empire de-clawed their slaves.

Personally makes more sense than, "Don't use your natural weaponry...because...we will call you a madclaw...and...tease you...or something."

Smile

LOL

Yeah the concept seems strange, to me it seems it is due to their extreme strenth, and when even the worst of the worst of outlaw wookies have this bushido like honor concept, then it makes for a cool Mechanical in game offset and makes sense that not even against the empire would they use them and thus, well no need to declaw them, but yes you do have fair points.

To me if such a code were to exist more than vaguely in eu/canon (as in the action, not the code), then it would make sense to have situations where the claws could still be used, like to free the homeworld, against formidable odds or something.

Also think game mechanics if we add claws as str +1D or more to a wookie hehe *droooooooooooool*
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

That's an interesting option.

In the game Fading Suns, there were the Vorox, six-limbed giants. In order to engage in the (generally more repressive) galactic society, most of them had to have all of their venomous claws removed... but nobles were able to keep one.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

I know, I greatly enjoy watching 1960s Batman—including Season 3 with Yvonne Craig. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: