The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Missiles, Torpedos - Targeting and hitting Problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Missiles, Torpedos - Targeting and hitting Problems Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the current version...

Mostly I just treated missiles and torpedoes like any other weapon (range, fire control, damage, etc) but with the ability to make follow-up attacks if they didn't miss too badly.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Here's the current version...

Mostly I just treated missiles and torpedoes like any other weapon (range, fire control, damage, etc) but with the ability to make follow-up attacks if they didn't miss too badly.

Thanks

this is quite a really impressive possibility to handle it
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Nothing. Missiles are fire and forget. Not like spells in an ADND game where concentration's often needed to maintain the effect.

Actually this sounds feasible.. very like a modern drone. It's not how missiles are portrayed in any Star Wars media I have consumed, but might make an interesting jury rig?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Nothing. Missiles are fire and forget. Not like spells in an ADND game where concentration's often needed to maintain the effect.

Actually this sounds feasible.. very like a modern drone. It's not how missiles are portrayed in any Star Wars media I have consumed, but might make an interesting jury rig?

Actually, depending on the degree of technological development, missiles may still require constant guidance of some form. The AIM-7 Sparrow, for instance, required a constant radar lock from the launching craft, and would miss if that lock was lost. The AIM-9 Sidewinder was fire-and-forget but also very short range. It wasn't until the mid-90's when the AIM-120 AMRAAM was introduced that radar-guided missiles were truly fire-and-forget.

I tried to incorporate that into my system, with basic proton torpedoes requiring a constant sensor lock-on from the launching craft, while later proton torpedoes had a backup smart-homing guidance if the launching craft lost sensor lock.

Also, I had originally made concussion missiles essentially proton torpedoes in miniature (as in, requiring an active sensor lock-on). I've been trying to rewrite them to make them passive homing (ala heat-seeking or semi-active radar homing missiles), but haven't really come up with a rule for it that I'm fully comfortable with.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, I had originally made concussion missiles essentially proton torpedoes in miniature (as in, requiring an active sensor lock-on). I've been trying to rewrite them to make them passive homing (ala heat-seeking or semi-active radar homing missiles), but haven't really come up with a rule for it that I'm fully comfortable with.

Maybe a primitive AI like that would be like a single purpose droid? How tiny must the control unit on the training remote be.. that seems smart enough if it was fed the correct sensor data..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Maybe a primitive AI like that would be like a single purpose droid? How tiny must the control unit on the training remote be.. that seems smart enough if it was fed the correct sensor data..

Oh, this reminds me of a bad film I once saw where someone had to reason with the AI on a rogue bomb and persuade it not to go off with the use of phenomenology.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering we're talking about providing false sensory input to an AI acting as the guidance package for a missile, it's easier to just say ECM.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Oh, this reminds me of a bad film I once saw where someone had to reason with the AI on a rogue bomb and persuade it not to go off with the use of phenomenology.

Dark Star
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Dark Star

Oh my word, someone else has seen it.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come think of it.
Looking at our air to air missiles and how they track and acquire target we could argue using a sensor check every so and so to keep the"lock on"

A standard air to air missile tracks by "radar" or "sensors" of various advancement and are either meant for impact or close proximity burst, the damages are not very central to this.

Bit missiles can be out-flown nd they can loose their "lock" so I would use the mother vessel sensor every so and so often to, maybe each range band, to keep it locked on.

Alternative is to give the missile a sensor rating for close sensor range and use this to keep in track.

Basically if you get out of range he tracks with a -XD all the way to loosing the tracking .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: