The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnlksr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

I've started working on a campaign for my SWRPG group, which takes place in an alternate timeline twenty years after the Battle of Yavin.

Instead of building a second Death Star, the Galactic Empire instead constructs hundreds of Hurlothrumbic Generators, (From the adventure "The Game Chambers of Questal") to control the populations of planets in key star systems. The main villain will be Grand Moff Bandor (Due to the success of the Hurlothrumbic Generators, the Emperor promoted him).

I have never run the adventure "The Game Chambers of Questal", and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or advice in utilizing the Hurlothrumbic Generator in a game setting. Thanks!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated! I love reading this stuff.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

dnlksr wrote:
I've started working on a campaign for my SWRPG group, which takes place in an alternate timeline twenty years after the Battle of Yavin.

Instead of building a second Death Star, the Galactic Empire instead constructs hundreds of Hurlothrumbic Generators, (From the adventure "The Game Chambers of Questal") to control the populations of planets in key star systems. The main villain will be Grand Moff Bandor (Due to the success of the Hurlothrumbic Generators, the Emperor promoted him).

I have never run the adventure "The Game Chambers of Questal", and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or advice in utilizing the Hurlothrumbic Generator in a game setting. Thanks!

Welcome to the Pit, dnlksr! If you've never ran that adventure, how did you come up with this idea? Did you play that adventure as a player?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Hurlothrumbic Generator as part of the basis for my psychological effects house rule. If the effect is agreeable to you, just have the generator deliver a whatever-D strength effect rolled against the character's Willpower, then apply the effects of success or failure accordingly. You could even have the Fear effect upgrade to Panicked if the roll fails by more than a certain amount.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a Hurlothrumbic Generator is more suited to Dr Who than to Star Wars, and I happen to have read the Game Chambers of Questal - a long time ago.

In fact, come to think of it, the entire idea of an amusement park of death seems much more Dr Who than anything else, or perhaps original FASERIP Marvel Superhero (I remember the funhouse of death module with Arcade as the villain, for instance). Though I do think there was a Traveller module in Challenger Magazine way back that did something similar.

It does seem more energy efficient than the disintegrator chambers from the Mindharp of Sharu, or even the stasis cells from Star's End.

Wouldn't it be creepy if you included the decapitated biozombies, the Decraniated?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it seems like a non force way to actually duplicate some of the force powers, like aura of uneasiness.

I can actually see if researched for 20 years, as the TS indicated in his vision, that the effects could even be replicated of a lesser form of control mind and the like.

Nice concept...........
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the fact that it's tuned towards humans makes the Empire's prejudice against non-humans a touch more sinister... many nonhumans might be immune to the generators, so persecuting them is a doubled form of control... unites the humans against an enemy, and pushes the aliens to the periphery.
dnlksr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you've never ran that adventure, how did you come up with this idea? Did you play that adventure as a player?

From about two decades ago, my siblings and I had a sizable collection of the SWRPG books, which included "Classic Adventures: Volume Five". We never ran any campaigns or adventures, but we obsessively read every book we had. Sadly, all of the books were lost when our parents decided we were spending too much time with SWRPG books and threw them away.

When my new SWRPG group formed, I remembered reading about the Hurlothrumbic Generator and decided to incorporate it as a major plot point in our upcoming campaign.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

dnlksr wrote:
We never ran any campaigns or adventures, but we obsessively read every book we had. Sadly, all of the books were lost when our parents decided we were spending too much time with SWRPG books and threw them away.

I'm very sorry to read this. Sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

dnlksr wrote:
Whill wrote:
If you've never ran that adventure, how did you come up with this idea? Did you play that adventure as a player?

From about two decades ago, my siblings and I had a sizable collection of the SWRPG books, which included "Classic Adventures: Volume Five". We never ran any campaigns or adventures, but we obsessively read every book we had. Sadly, all of the books were lost when our parents decided we were spending too much time with SWRPG books and threw them away.

When my new SWRPG group formed, I remembered reading about the Hurlothrumbic Generator and decided to incorporate it as a major plot point in our upcoming campaign.

That is abuse!
dnlksr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the main characters of our campaign! We only have two people (not counting me) in our SWRPG group, and both have limited experience roleplaying. The first character is Tormax Ardellian, who is actually an NPC that I will control, hence the added skills and character points. Our campaign will probably start in the Corellian System, and we'll start out with a few cargo shipments to start with. We haven't been able to decide on a name for the ship yet though.

Quote:
Tormax Ardellian (NPC)
Tormax was once a member of a group of Corellian pirates who were double-crossed on Questal. He has a noticeable scar on the right side of his face from the incident. He barely escaped with his own life and eventually made it back to Corellia, where he started a new life, buying a used Corellian freighter.
Type: Freighter captain
Height: 1.85 meters
DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 4D+2, dodge 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Law enforcement 3D, planetary systems 2D+1, streetwise 3D
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Astrogation 4D, space transports 4D, starship gunnery 4D+2
PERCEPTION 3D
Con 3D+1, Gambling 4D
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 3D+2
TECHNICAL 3D
First aid 3D+1
Move: 10
Force Points: 2
Character Points: 10
Equipment: Comlink, hold-out blaster (3D), YT-1210 light freighter Duhac, 500 credits

Quote:
Andar Ardellian (PC)
Andar is the nephew of Tormax Ardellian, and is the first mate aboard the YT-1210 light freighter Duhac.
Type: Brash Pilot
Height: 1.77 meters
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 4D, dodge 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D
MECHANICAL 4D
Astrogation 5D, sensors 5D, space transports 5D, starship gunnery 5D
PERCEPTION 3D
STRENGTH 3D
TECHNICAL 3D
Space transport repair 4D
Move: 10
Force Points: 1
Character Points: 5
Equipment: Comlink, sporting blaster (3D+1), 250 credits

Quote:
Dhagro (PC)
Dhagro is a business partner of Tormax.
Type: Drall Merchant
Height: 1.21 meters
DEXTERITY 2D
Dodge 3D
KNOWLEDGE 4D+2
Bureaucracy 5D+2, business 5D+2, languages 5D+2, scholar 5D+2
MECHANICAL 2D+1
PERCEPTION 4D
Bargain 5D, sneak 5D
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 3D
Story Factors:
Honesty: Dralls are adamantly truthful.
Hibernation: Some Drall feel they are supposed to hibernate and do so. Others build underground burrows for the sake of relaxation.
Move: 7
Force Points: 1
Character Points: 5
Equipment: Comlink, datapad, 1,000 credits

Last edited by dnlksr on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandor and the Hurlothrumbic Generator Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
dnlksr wrote:
Whill wrote:

That is abuse!

Seriously, that's just plain wrong for a parent to destroy their kids' property like that. It's one thing to lock up a toy or the video games or such if a kid is misbehaving or needs to finish their homework first. But deliberately destroying books that don't even belong to them? Hell, why not take your entire SWRPG collection and throw them in a bonfire or something?

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade wrote:

Elsa: You came back for the book? Why?
Indy: My father didn't want it incinerated.

(See what I did there?)

dnlksr, I'm sure you love your parents and with good reason, but something like this I just can't condone. And yes, I'm well aware that this is off-topic and might very well hijack the thread, but just the idea of destroying any kind of books offends me deeply.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Heinrich Heine, from his play Almansor: "“Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen": "Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people."".

I'm also pretty much aligned with that sentiment - destroying books, pretty much any books, is even in extreme circumstances wrong. At the very least, whatever horrendous book you might consider burning might better serve as an example on what not to do.

To the NPCs and crew - you're lacking a little bit in repair skills. You might want to add an astromech droid or something. Maybe a T3 posing as an R-series droid, if you want to seed some adventure hooks in there. A WED-15 Treadwell might be a nice choice if you want to avoid any R2-Dclone problem.
dnlksr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
To the NPCs and crew - you're lacking a little bit in repair skills. You might want to add an astromech droid or something. Maybe a T3 posing as an R-series droid, if you want to seed some adventure hooks in there. A WED-15 Treadwell might be a nice choice if you want to avoid any R2-Dclone problem.

Thanks for the suggestion! I added an R5 astromech droid to the group.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a lot of players to have a great game. I often play with two or three players, and we always have a great time.

Just scale the adventure to the number of PCs. Instead of five stormtroopers, the PC run into two. And, with the two PCs do run into a full squad of stormtroopers, it is time to run.

Plus, there are droids, NPCs and hirelings that can round out the group, if needed.

Han and Chewie are a total of two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: