The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ewoks (primitive characters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ewoks (primitive characters) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Several years earlier, the first one an Ewok tribe chieftain who was abducted along with a Yuzzum and a Dulok by an Imperial Survey Corps scientist to study the indigenous sentient lifeforms on the Forest Moon of Endor, a possible place being considered to complete construction of the first Death Star (Later, Scarif ended up being chosen over Endor).

Was Scarif the system where the DS was built? I thought it only an Imperial Database collection point. The DS was built by the Geonosians, I thought.

In the canon book, Tarkin, it was built in orbit of Geonosis.

As far as I know the only thing ever built by the empire on endor was the support base for the shileds, with ds2 at least built in the later stages over the planet.

I too thought it was genosis or something, with scarif holding the "imperial data storage" or something, as there were nothing in rogue one indicating any DS construction around the planet
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tarkin book says that it was built in sections at different locations, non of them in contact with each other. Which is one of the reasons the first one took so long.

The main superstructure was built in orbit of Geonosis.

In Rogue One, we see that the Super Laser has been delivered from wherever it was built and deliver to the superstructure.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way on the topic of ewoks.

Now them being "therapy ewoks" as pr canon, this could help them learn more tech related skills.

However I came to think maybe the ewoks should be stated out concerning STR to 2D+2/4D+2, as at least in "our beloved" old eu they were described as follows.

Despite their small size, Ewoks were physically strong enough to overpower combat-trained Humans.[3] The Human Mace Towani likened their appearance to "little bears,"[6] though they were sometimes referred to as "mini Wookiees."

-From wookiepdia.

Now given the canon article as well as the eu both actually do make the ewoks know to the galaxy back to at least some time before the clone wars.

Ewok jerky and the like....they were even food.

Looking at their feats of strength I would argue 3D may not be enough.

It would be hilarious though with a 1 meter tall "wookie strength" furball, but I would not go as far as to give them wookie strength, but Would maybe consider above 3D at least.

I am looking for a ewok tech template I found, I'll post it once I find it again
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Several years earlier, the first one an Ewok tribe chieftain who was abducted along with a Yuzzum and a Dulok by an Imperial Survey Corps scientist to study the indigenous sentient lifeforms on the Forest Moon of Endor, a possible place being considered to complete construction of the first Death Star (Later, Scarif ended up being chosen over Endor).

Was Scarif the system where the DS was built? I thought it only an Imperial Database collection point. The DS was built by the Geonosians, I thought.

As far as I know the only thing ever built by the empire on endor was the support base for the shileds, with ds2 at least built in the later stages over the planet.

I too thought it was genosis or something, with scarif holding the "imperial data storage" or something, as there were nothing in rogue one indicating any DS construction around the planet

I indicated Scarif was where the Death Star completed construction. It began construction on Geonosis, and at some point after the hyperdrive was installed it was moved to Scarif to be completed. We see it getting completed in Rogue One.

I didn't refer to anything being constructed at the Forest Moon of Endor. I indicated that Endor was scouted out as a possible place for the first Death Star to be completed. The suggestion is that the Empire ended up choosing Scarif over Endor for the first Death Star, but then when they had to construct a second Death Star, they used Endor. Finally, I never even hinted at either Death Star literally being constructed on the surface of any planet or moon. When a planet or moon name is stated as a construction location, I think it goes without saying we were talking about in orbit around that body.

I really like the idea that the Ewoks were underestimated in part because an Imperial scientist falsified data about the inhabitants to cover his own failure. This scout scientist originally worked with Director Krennic and thought he was off the hook when the Emperor chose Scarif, but then when they had to have a location to complete the second Death Star they used Endor. The scientist then puts out a secret bounty on the Ewok chieftain to make sure his fraud doesn't get uncovered, and when he discovers the existence of the PC during the campaign he also puts out a secret bounty on him too. This scientist is a main antagonist working in secret even from the Empire he is a part of but he mystery will slowly be revealed over the campaign. When the Emperor puts his plan into motion to trap the Rebels at Endor, he recalls the scientist to Endor as the Empire's supposed leading expert on Endorians. When my son's character finally finds his father and they try to return to Endor, they'll find out that the Empire is there so the only way to get back there may be to allow themselves to be captured by the bounty hunters where they will have a final confrontation with the Imperial scientist who set everything in motion by abducting the chieftain all those years ago. They'll help save their people and defeat the Empire.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "old" version where the empire considered them harmless, until some storimes did something wrong, killing a ewok maybe and from then they turned to the monsters, one comic tells of a stormie happy to surrender, saying the ewoks used drums in the night and left "parts" here and there for display, and psychological warfare.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

I indicated Scarif was where the Death Star completed construction. It began construction on Geonosis, and at some point after the hyperdrive was installed it was moved to Scarif to be completed. We see it getting completed in Rogue One.

I didn't refer to anything being constructed at the Forest Moon of Endor. I indicated that Endor was scouted out as a possible place for the first Death Star to be completed. The suggestion is that the Empire ended up choosing Scarif over Endor for the first Death Star, but then when they had to construct a second Death Star, they used Endor. Finally, I never even hinted at either Death Star literally being constructed on the surface of any planet or moon. When a planet or moon name is stated as a construction location, I think it goes without saying we were talking about in orbit around that body.

I really like the idea that the Ewoks were underestimated in part because an Imperial scientist falsified data about the inhabitants to cover his own failure. This scout scientist originally worked with Director Krennic and thought he was off the hook when the Emperor chose Scarif, but then when they had to have a location to complete the second Death Star they used Endor. The scientist then puts out a secret bounty on the Ewok chieftain to make sure his fraud doesn't get uncovered, and when he discovers the existence of the PC during the campaign he also puts out a secret bounty on him too. This scientist is a main antagonist working in secret even from the Empire he is a part of but he mystery will slowly be revealed over the campaign. When the Emperor puts his plan into motion to trap the Rebels at Endor, he recalls the scientist to Endor as the Empire's supposed leading expert on Endorians. When my son's character finally finds his father and they try to return to Endor, they'll find out that the Empire is there so the only way to get back there may be to allow themselves to be captured by the bounty hunters where they will have a final confrontation with the Imperial scientist who set everything in motion by abducting the chieftain all those years ago. They'll help save their people and defeat the Empire.

This makes for a very cool campaign
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It would be rare for a GM to have more than one Ewok PC, but if so, what GM would have them have the same stowaway story? "A special background" doesn't mean they would all have the same special background.

Its not the DM who comes up with the player's character backround though. Its the player..
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
It would be rare for a GM to have more than one Ewok PC, but if so, what GM would have them have the same stowaway story? "A special background" doesn't mean they would all have the same special background.

Its not the DM who comes up with the player's character backround though. Its the player.

So you're harping on this little thing? Sometimes I swear you're trolling me. It's the GM who approves a character's background. What's stopping a GM from saying, "Nope, I already had an Ewok PC that stowed away on a ship. Think of something else."? It's such a simple solution to a non-problem.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Its not the DM who comes up with the player's character backround though. Its the player.

So you're harping on this little thing? Sometimes I swear you're trolling me. It's the GM who approves a character's background. What's stopping a GM from saying, "Nope, I already had an Ewok PC that stowed away on a ship. Think of something else."? It's such a simple solution to a non-problem.

because there are groups where the fun of the player is in the foreground. I would not allow myself Ewok as a PC but know enough groups where this is not a problem
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
t;]I still think that, with primitive species, it works best to designate certain skills off-limits for defaulting, perhaps until a certain number of CPs have been spent to improve skills off that list... so, your Ewok can't default to Mechanical or Technical skills on the list until they've spent 10 CPs to improve skills on the list (representing that they've gained some basic knowledge of galactic technology and can now generalize).

As detailed in my previous post above this one, I don't think the RAW game system adequately deals with Ewoks and primitive characters, and I don't think having a bunch of skill limitations works best. I also don't feel that PCs starting play primitive and having to buy into attribute defaulting is particularly balanced.

So after moving a couple skills around I have a system that addresses NPC primitiveness. Kno, Mec and Tec having attributes of 0D, 0D+1, or 0D+2, and those each mean different things with respect to skills in addition to those being the starting points for raised skills. Non primitive NPCs will have at least 1D in these attributes.

Whereas I prefer a subsystem with only minimal impact on the system around it... one that can be plugged in to existing material, rather than needing to rewrite races and NPCs to accomodate my views of the system. It's a stylistic difference.

If you design a primitive trait, it can be applied (or slightly modified) for any species you want to manage, and bought off like any mechanical disadvantage. Did a PC die and the player express interest in playing one of the local aboriginal Ithorians who've never seen a repulsorlift, much less a starship? I don't need to redesign Ithorians to represent a primitive one... just slap primitive on there.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I still think that, with primitive species, it works best to designate certain skills off-limits for defaulting, perhaps until a certain number of CPs have been spent to improve skills off that list... so, your Ewok can't default to Mechanical or Technical skills on the list until they've spent 10 CPs to improve skills on the list (representing that they've gained some basic knowledge of galactic technology and can now generalize).

As detailed in my previous post above this one, I don't think the RAW game system adequately deals with Ewoks and primitive characters, and I don't think having a bunch of skill limitations works best. I also don't feel that PCs starting play primitive and having to buy into attribute defaulting is particularly balanced.

So after moving a couple skills around I have a system that addresses NPC primitiveness. Kno, Mec and Tec having attributes of 0D, 0D+1, or 0D+2, and those each mean different things with respect to skills in addition to those being the starting points for raised skills. Non primitive NPCs will have at least 1D in these attributes.

Whereas I prefer a subsystem with only minimal impact on the system around it... one that can be plugged in to existing material, rather than needing to rewrite races and NPCs to accomodate my views of the system. It's a stylistic difference.

If you design a primitive trait, it can be applied (or slightly modified) for any species you want to manage, and bought off like any mechanical disadvantage. Did a PC die and the player express interest in playing one of the local aboriginal Ithorians who've never seen a repulsorlift, much less a starship? I don't need to redesign Ithorians to represent a primitive one... just slap primitive on there.

I've already re-statted my PC species anyway because RAW is not perfect and I am qualified to rewrite things for my own game. That said, my "0D Attributes" is a primitive character subsystem I can plug in for any existing species without each individual species having to have its own set of default skill limitations. It makes the stat write-ups for these species briefer and neater. It has a very minimal impact on the system around it. My subsystem is a simplification I applied to RAW.

But yes I have it my way and choose to not have primitive PCs at even the start of a campaign, and that is a GM stylistic difference.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Its not the DM who comes up with the player's character backround though. Its the player..

In my games, the player is welcome to come up with his own, but in practice, it is usually a joint effort between player and GM.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ewoks Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've already re-statted my PC species anyway because RAW is not perfect and I am qualified to rewrite things for my own game.

RAW is not perfect? The hell you say! Shocked
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a 0D+1 or 0D+2 improve their attribute, since CP costs for attribute improvements are tied to the die code?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
How does a 0D+1 or 0D+2 improve their attribute, since CP costs for attribute improvements are tied to the die code?

3D to 3D+2 is a 0D+2 increase.
or did I misunderstand your question there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: