The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Routes are Freeways
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hyperspace Routes are Freeways
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Hyperspace Routes are Freeways Reply with quote

I just learned something new.

For several years, friends have encouraged me to watch Clone Wars (and Rebels). Even though I'm a comics reader, the cartoons really aren't my thing. But, hey, what the heck.

So, I started with the Clone Wars movie, and I' just starting the second episode of the series. It's OK. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it. As I said, it's not really my thing.

But, I'll watch some episodes for now.



Why am I posting?

I learned, though this recent top of the toe into the Clone Wars series, something new about Hyperspace Routes.

I understand that the Clone Wars series is canon.

In the movie (I think--it may have been the first episode of the series), the Separatists have cut off the Jedi Knights and the Clone Army from the outer regions by taking control of the hyperspace lanes.



Now, I knew that there were major hyperspace lanes, but I didn't realize that going through hyperspace meant--like looking at a road map--taking certain space routes to get to your destination. I thought doing that would get you to your destination quicker, but I didn't realize how imperative it is to keep these space lanes open.

They're freeways. Close them down, and you can control traffic in the galaxy.

Which...all of a sudden, the dispute over taxation of the hyperspace routes in Episode I starts to make more sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Clone Wars revelation. Hyperspace jumps have a minimum distance, based on the size of the ship.

"With a ship that size it will be difficult to chart a course that is less than ten parsecs."

Wow. What does this say about micro-jumps in-system? That can't be done with certain sized ships!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Clone Wars still. It looks like the communication in hyperspace idea has been around a long time--it wasn't a new idea presented in Rogue One.

It happens in the Clone Wars series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11521
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's still 'disney' new canon... Not old Lucas canon.
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But that's still 'disney' new canon... Not old Lucas canon.


True. I was just shocked that the idea wasn't new with Rogue One.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 10545
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who spends an inordinate amount of time dealing with freeways, I can say with some authority that it is, at best, an imperfect metaphor. There are many ways in which they differ, as well. Most obviously, it is impossible (or at least a very, very bad idea) to come to a dead stop in the middle of a freeway, then turn around and head the other direction.

It does make sense (also based on my experience) that larger vehicles might require more room to make a jump, what with mass and momentum affecting acceleration and deceleration. In the case of micro jumps, as seen in the HttE trilogy, this is where a backup drive might be useful, as the much lower relative speed will shorten the accel/decel distances.

As for comms, strictly speaking, the only place I can recall it being explicitly stated as impossible was the Black Fleet Trilogy, so it isn’t outside the realm of possibility. However, just because something is possible does not mean it should be common. My thinking is that it should be the province of full-up holo-comm systems, and limited to the Empire as of the Battle of Yavin. The Alliance would, in turn, make use of a less effective (but also less expensive and harder to trace) method of sending precordered text or audio messages via burst transmissions.

One comm restriction that does still stand from HttE is that deflector shields disrupt both hyper and sub space comms...
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
dunderhead marajain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But that's still 'disney' new canon... Not old Lucas canon.


Wait...isn't Clone Wars a Lucas thing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As someone who spends an inordinate amount of time dealing with freeways, I can say with some authority that it is, at best, an imperfect metaphor. There are many ways in which they differ, as well. Most obviously, it is impossible (or at least a very, very bad idea) to come to a dead stop in the middle of a freeway, then turn around and head the other direction.


Well, it is a metaphor, and all metaphors fall apart is pushed to far. But, one can take a turn around on an interstate, which is, basically, coming to a dead stop and then going the opposite direction.





Quote:
In the case of micro jumps, as seen in the HttE trilogy, this is where a backup drive might be useful, as the much lower relative speed will shorten the accel/decel distances.


Are micro jumps even possible anymore, with the new canon? HttE is Legends, and Clone Wars is Canon. See my post above where, in the CW, there are ship size restrictions to making short jumps--with distances like ten parsecs being the minimum jump range.





Quote:
As for comms, strictly speaking, the only place I can recall it being explicitly stated as impossible was the Black Fleet Trilogy, so it isn’t outside the realm of possibility. However, just because something is possible does not mean it should be common. My thinking is that it should be the province of full-up holo-comm systems, and limited to the Empire as of the Battle of Yavin. The Alliance would, in turn, make use of a less effective (but also less expensive and harder to trace) method of sending precordered text or audio messages via burst transmissions.


The hyperspace communication I just saw in CW happened with the Holo comm, to Senator Bail Organa's ship, the Tantive IV, while in hyperspace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 10545
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Well, it is a metaphor, and all metaphors fall apart is pushed to far. But, one can take a turn around on an interstate, which is, basically, coming to a dead stop and then going the opposite direction.

The problem is that, depending on the interstate, there can be quite a few miles before the next turn around.

Quote:
Are micro jumps even possible anymore, with the new canon? HttE is Legends, and Clone Wars is Canon. See my post above where, in the CW, there are ship size restrictions to making short jumps--with distances like ten parsecs being the minimum jump range.

I'm disinclined to throw out a piece of the EU just because some writer for a kids' comic series decided to throw in a plot point without either knowing or caring what precedents he was trampling on. If there is no way to avoid incorporating said plot point without changing the EU, I may reconsider, but even then, whatever changes must be made to the EU will be as minimal as possible. In this case, still permitting micro jumps if the ship's backup hyperdrive is used incorporates both ideas without requiring excessive change.

Quote:
The hyperspace communication I just saw in CW happened with the Holo comm, to Senator Bail Organa's ship, the Tantive IV, while in hyperspace.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that an Imperial Senator would have a Holo Net system built into his personal transport. We have also, in the past, discussed various sectors of the galaxy having local holo-net-in-miniature systems that permit real time holographic communication within a sector or between neighboring sectors.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
dunderhead marajain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1404

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
We have also, in the past, discussed various sectors of the galaxy having local holo-net-in-miniature systems that permit real time holographic communication within a sector or between neighboring sectors.


That's actually an interesting idea. In RO, the ship was in deep Imperial territory. What if they were pigging backing the signal off the wide-spread Imperial network in that sector?

Maybe in other sectors, hyperspace communication like what we saw in RO is not possible because there is no network to use.

Space is big. There could be different things possible in different regions of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Commander
Commander


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 402

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
We have also, in the past, discussed various sectors of the galaxy having local holo-net-in-miniature systems that permit real time holographic communication within a sector or between neighboring sectors.


That's actually an interesting idea. In RO, the ship was in deep Imperial territory. What if they were pigging backing the signal off the wide-spread Imperial network in that sector?

Maybe in other sectors, hyperspace communication like what we saw in RO is not possible because there is no network to use.

Space is big. There could be different things possible in different regions of it.



Hyperspace communications....hmmm I think it is limited from way point to waypoint and then relayed between them.
At least for that era, now development seemed to go fast in the same era so I would say what we see of that holocom communication through space or even hyperspace is canon but in my opinion part of research onging.

I would also allow with the right communitions equipment and relays to have little or no delay.

I look at it as "internet, star wars version" and where use the earth as our web area, they ahve it larger, t a galactic level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 10545
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where we did most of our discussing.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
dunderhead marajain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0