The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
Been getting my SW fix from talking about space bird people for the Adventurers Journal, so I haven't been to the Pit in a while.

On the original question, the hyperspace jumps and gravity wells thing was really unexpected. I think both stories could have been told (Episode VII and VIII) without messing with the established "rules". Along with that is the "hyperspace jump ram attack". Good thing it was in a movie, because if it was a game it just became broken.

What of the mods Rogue one made, where someone can jump inside a planet's atmosphere/grav well.?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowcaster.

This must operate like a semi-automatic pistol. You've got to cock it one time when you load a new clip of ammo , but with each shot, the firing action blows the crossbow string back.

Each ammo magazine holds six rounds of ammunition--those you can see on Chewbacca's bandoleer.

What's confusing is that there are some pictures of the bowcaster that doesn't show a string.

You'd think the weapon would be silent, too. Yet, it sounds like a blaster being fired. Maybe that sound is the bolts arming when they are fired from the caster.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems seeing the bowcaster as a launcher, with the bolts doing the damage and most of the sound
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies seems to have made more than the A180 a configurable blaster.

I am beginning to wonder if some manufacturers maybe do prodice a "main" line of blasters that in fact are configurable.

From what I know metal unpowered swords are also canon
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Bowcaster Reply with quote

My first post on the forum, so hello everybody!

Indeed D6's version of bowcaster needs some update.
In D20's version bowcaster has more punch than DL-44. It looks like this for damage value:
Blaster DL-18 - 3d6
Blaster DL-44 - 3d8
Bowcaster - 3d10

So in D6 it should be like 6D with 1 m radius area damage (Han taking out 2 troopers with one shot on Takodana)
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

In D20's version bowcaster has more punch than DL-44. It looks like this for damage value:
Blaster DL-18 - 3d6
Blaster DL-44 - 3d8
Bowcaster - 3d10

So in D6 it should be like 6D with 1 m radius area damage (Han taking out 2 troopers with one shot on Takodana)

Welcome to the pit, and yeah the bowcaster is very very underpowerd in SWD6, so your suggestion makes sense
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Blaster DL-18 - 3d6
Blaster DL-44 - 3d8
Bowcaster - 3d10

Wow. You've either been looking at the conversion charts I've made or you've done your own sets of math and arrived at a similar conclusion. Either way, sounds about right to me if you're looking at the d20
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowcaster Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Blaster DL-18 - 3d6
Blaster DL-44 - 3d8
Bowcaster - 3d10

Wow. You've either been looking at the conversion charts I've made or you've done your own sets of math and arrived at a similar conclusion. Either way, sounds about right to me if you're looking at the d20

I had no opportunity to check your charts (yet). Just did some comparison from the source materials d6 and d20.

In d20 this damage is on the level of heavy repeating blaster. Only E-web and blaster cannon have more punch - 3d12. Heavy reperating blaster has 7D but it fires only in autofire mode. Bowcaster does not, so 6D seems to be the fair damage for me.

PS. After Solo movie, DL-44 carbine mode should be introduced to the rules. 8)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

What of the mods Rogue one made, where someone can jump inside a planet's atmosphere/grav well.?

Yeah, I'm kinda struggling on what to do with that. You can say that off screen someone was frantically stripping out and bypassing safety protocols. And while that may work for a "do or die" in Rogue One, it still doesn't feel true to what's going on on screen.

Though if anyone just could make a jump to hyperspace within a gravity well, then it REALLY makes one wonder why the Rebels had to make it past the Star Destroyers in ESB. Why not lift off and then jump. Seems like a lot less risk.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda struggling on what to do with that. You can say that off screen someone was frantically stripping out and bypassing safety protocols. And while that may work for a "do or die" in Rogue One, it still doesn't feel true to what's going on on screen.

Though if anyone just could make a jump to hyperspace within a gravity well, then it REALLY makes one wonder why the Rebels had to make it past the Star Destroyers in ESB. Why not lift off and then jump. Seems like a lot less risk.

I think you guys are on the right track. I think jumping inside a gravity well and atmosphere were always possible, but always risky. Those things trigger the hyperdrive cut-out safety measures because they are gravity and mass. You have to deactivate the safety measures to do it, and the danger lies not necessarily in the immediate jump, but what might be in your path ahead after you make the jump. With the safety measures turned off, there is nothing to cut out the hyperdrive as you plow into something. So it is one of those things that can be done, but should not be done.

The Hoth system had a big asteroid field which is why the Rebels hid there, so turning off the cut-out to get past the Empire from the atmosphere could fly them right into an asteroid a split second later. The Rebels probably had a better chance escaping with the hyperdrive safety measure on and the ion canon on their side to disable star destroyers than they would have if they had disabled the cut-out and gone to lightspeed before clearing the Empire and asteroid field. In Rogue One, giant pieces of the Jedha City mesa were falling all around them so it was worth the risk of shutting off the cut-out and escaping the cataclysm they were in the middle of.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I'm kinda n on screen.
struggling on what to do with that. You can say that off screen someone was frantically stripping out and bypassing safety protocols. And while that may work for a "do or die" in Rogue One, it still doesn't feel true to what's going o

Yep. Makes Interdictors almost useless as all you need to do is just shut down the safety protocols to escape. Confused
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I'm kinda n on screen.
struggling on what to do with that. You can say that off screen someone was frantically stripping out and bypassing safety protocols. And while that may work for a "do or die" in Rogue One, it still doesn't feel true to what's going o

Yep. Makes Interdictors almost useless as all you need to do is just shut down the safety protocols to escape. Confused

If all you have is an Interdictor, sure. But if you have some TIE fighters out there to keep the ship from getting into a good hyperspace jump point, or to try and cripple the ship if they try, then a lot more people will become reasonable.

It may also be that the ability to cut out the safeties on your hyperdrive is something that has to be specifically enabled... like, 90% of civilian ships won't do that, and if the Empire finds that you did, they give you the imperial equivalent of a ticket and a stern talking to (i.e. impound your ship and sell you into slavery). If you're a smuggler or a rebel, for whom that's already the penalty, you might as well. If you're Joe Picolo, the pilot of the Cool Shot that does water runs to Tattooine, you probably don't bother.

(Completely unrelated, but I am reminded of the Sathra inhibitors in Fading Suns... travel through hyperspace causes religious visions and addiction without them, but that just means some people have them disabled)
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

If all you have is an Interdictor, sure. But if you have some TIE fighters out there to keep the ship from getting into a good hyperspace jump point, or to try and cripple the ship if they try, then a lot more people will become reasonable.

Yes. True, if you drag the ship out of hyperspace in midjump. It has to have safefty active for unforseen dangers. Then TIEs have to be quick and precise to disable such ship. But if its before the jump, gravity generator won't help.

MrNexx wrote:
It may also be that the ability to cut out the safeties on your hyperdrive is something that has to be specifically enabled... like, 90% of civilian ships won't do that, and if the Empire finds that you did, they give you the imperial equivalent of a ticket and a stern talking to (i.e. impound your ship and sell you into slavery). If you're a smuggler or a rebel, for whom that's already the penalty, you might as well. If you're Joe Picolo, the pilot of the Cool Shot that does water runs to Tattooine, you probably don't bother.

Yes. But how many players are good citizens, obeying the laws? My guess is that team outlaw tech first modification will be single-switch for easy turn on/off the safety protocols. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Blaster DL-18 - 3d6
Blaster DL-44 - 3d8
Bowcaster - 3d10

In the past, we've discussed the Bowcaster in depth here.

My take (here) was to turn bowcasters into a broad classification of weapons - from single-shot breech loaders to selective-ammo semi-auto weapons slung under the barrel of modern blaster rifles - that all used the same type of ammunition (of which there were multiple types, depending on the intended use).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Yes. But how many players are good citizens, obeying the laws? My guess is that team outlaw tech first modification will be single-switch for easy turn on/off the safety protocols. Very Happy

WEG never discussed the possibility of a blind jump, but it must be presumed that the potential consequences are pretty severe. Several of the results on the Hyperdrive Mishap table mention near collisions that cause the hyperdrive to cut out early, so what would happen if the cut-out wasn't able to cut out?

IIRC, this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't recall exactly where. Pretty sure it was one of Wajeb's hyperspace discussions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: