The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Scout Rifle Concept for Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Scout Rifle Concept for Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So more in the lines of a reconfigurable weapon?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the only real difference is in scope positioning, with the scope well forward to accommodate the Scout Rifle mission. Apart from that, your rule for Range with or without a scope would seem more applicable to a house rule for scopes in general; say, having a scope increases a weapon’s maximum Medium and Long ranges 50-100%.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain technical real world factors that make it a little bit more complex than that.

First, a scope must be manufactured for long eye relief. You cant just put the scope anywhere on the rifle and it work properly. Eye relief is literally a specification on each different scope.

Second, the fact that the eye relief is long and magification is relatively low, the shooter can make much longer shots with precision AND swiftness than he could with the naked eye. Within the limits of the scope's performance, the shooter is significantly faster on target than through a conventional scope.

Lastly, the rifle itself must have some provision for forward mounting, whether the rifle was designed that way or modified to accommodate a long eye relief scope.

Basically, the only benefit to the scout configuration is that it is fast relative to normal "field" rifles with high powered scopes or plain iron sights.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically a "free" switching from the various ranges while still maintaining you aim?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the SWU version being a blaster equivalent of the M1A SOCOM Scout.

Semi-auto, chambered in .308 / 7.62 NATO, detachable box mag with a scout scope.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
One could even argue that the specializations under Blaster should really be an individual weapon or weapon type, rather than a 'class' of blaster; i.e. that to use a scout rifle specialization, the specialization is not Blaster: Scout Rifle, but rather Blaster: (specific model of scout rifle) (given that the DL-44 was namedropped in the description garhkal linked).

Well, in a way they do, with the DL-44 as listed in the core book as a possible spec, even though it should come under heavy pistols..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Basically a "free" switching from the various ranges while still maintaining you aim?

I guess it depends on how you run range bands in your games. In my experience, range is almost inconsequential in actual play.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I see the SWU version being a blaster equivalent of the M1A SOCOM Scout.

Semi-auto, chambered in .308 / 7.62 NATO, detachable box mag with a scout scope.

Yes.

(Interesting detail: the SOCOM is actually more of a "carbine" due to the requirement for different gas port tuning, reducing the power of the round leaving the muzzel. I envision the same set up but on the M1A Scout Squad; its longer barrel--18.5" as compared to the SOCOM's 16"--is a midpoint below the standard rifle's 22" barrel, but the length of the Scout Squad is sufficient to retain the same gas tuning as the full length rifle).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more confident I feel in saying that this mostly going to boil down to a rule for the scope, not the rifle. The SWU’s rules for weapon customization are much looser than those of the real world. If you want your rifle to be able to accept a scope of this type, then all that’s really needed is GM fiat. Naaman, I get that your SWU has a lot more granularity when it comes to personal weapons, but most gamers aren’t going to hold themselves to that level.

With that in mind, I’d probably just focus on the scope, and stipulate that it must be mounted on a blaster rifle, then add the initiative advantage on top of whatever range advantage modifier the scope provides.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally enjoy some subtle differences in blaster classes in Star Wars. The fact that most weapons do 5D, I feel is a disservice to the game. Especially when you have so many people complaining about the "Bulletproof Wookiee" effect. Sniper and scout weapons, I feel should do a little more damage than your basic rifle/carbine, for a few reasons. To name a few, 5D damage on a Sniper weapon is not very likely to drop most targets in a single shot, which sort of defeats the purpose of the weapon. In addition, scouts and snipers may have to contend with large beasts in the wild, in which a 5D blaster is little more than a pellet gun.

I'm okay with a weapon that does higher damage with a lower blast count, because things like ammo conservation in combat become that much more important. Yes, tracking ammunition is a little tedious, but so is have unlimited ammunition in a firefight, the blast pack only being empty on complications of the wild die.

I'm really looking forward to seeing his upcoming revised weapons, as I enjoy running SpecForce type campaigns, where weapons and tactics are an important part of surviving the mission.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out my re-write of the various blaster types? It's still broad categorization, but I tried to better balance the strengths and weaknesses between the different classes.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'd personally enjoy some subtle differences in blaster classes in Star Wars. The fact that most weapons do 5D, I feel is a disservice to the game. Especially when you have so many people complaining about the "Bulletproof Wookiee" effect. Sniper and scout weapons, I feel should do a little more damage than your basic rifle/carbine, for a few reasons. To name a few, 5D damage on a Sniper weapon is not very likely to drop most targets in a single shot, which sort of defeats the purpose of the weapon. In addition, scouts and snipers may have to contend with large beasts in the wild, in which a 5D blaster is little more than a pellet gun.

Hmm... so maybe things like sniper weapons that if you take a full round round action to aim, the next round you get a +1D or +2D to damage?

Just spit-balling an idea here.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm... so maybe things like sniper weapons that if you take a full round round action to aim, the next round you get a +1D or +2D to damage?

Just spit-balling an idea here.

That could be an answer. But, we've got the T-6 Thunderer which is a heavy pistol which does more damage than a dedicated sniper platform. I don't see why there would be an issue with a Sniper weapon doing 6D or 6D+2 damage.

Quote:
Have you checked out my re-write of the various blaster types? It's still broad categorization, but I tried to better balance the strengths and weaknesses between the different classes.

I may have some time ago... but I don't recall. I have been using an earlier draft of Naaman's work with my current game, and while super crunchy, I enjoy there being a a difference between weapon classifications and companies.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: