The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has the Movies changed?

The overall star wars fan base?
It seems it has become very polarized
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One thing i've noticed in most all SW cap ship engagements, no shields are actually seen, other than the one that was on the main mon cal ship in rogue one, and the one holdo and co were fleeing on. The rest really didn't appear to have any. All fire i saw, seemed to impact hull.

Also i keep wondering, how ships can get 'under' the shields, but missiles don't? If a ship is a physical object, thus it can pass through 'ray' shielding as if it wasn't there, why then don't missiles also ignore them?

I wonder if maybe just imperial ships lack shields?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

No doubt.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:
One thing i've noticed in most all SW cap ship engagements, no shields are actually seen, other than the one that was on the main mon cal ship in rogue one, and the one holdo and co were fleeing on. The rest really didn't appear to have any. All fire i saw, seemed to impact hull.

Also i keep wondering, how ships can get 'under' the shields, but missiles don't? If a ship is a physical object, thus it can pass through 'ray' shielding as if it wasn't there, why then don't missiles also ignore them?

I wonder if maybe just imperial ships lack shields?

Its not just imperials..
Go back to phantom menace, and did you see ANY examples of shields on those droid control ships? Or the naboo fighters?
Or in ATOC, in the jedi Aersprite vs slave 1 fight?
Or in ROTS, in that opening cap ship fight? I don't remember seeing a single impact of any weapon's fire on a shield.
Or when we got to ANH, where the ISD was firing on the tantave IV..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the only time you see the shields is when they completely block a shot? Like, if you partially block a shot, the shield effect doesn't show, but in those rare instances where the shield eats the entire blast, then you see the shield effect?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rebels: Here the Jet Pack, or Rocket Pack have changed from a short burst flight, like we see boba fett do.

Sabine and Ezra are in sustained and controlled flight, the same can be said about the trooper that foloowed them.

How will this play out in a houserule thing?

I could think of allowing sustained and controlled flight for a while , maybe up to an hour, with a max flight cieling of maybe 500 to 1000 meters.

After the pack is empty and dead weight until refuled, maybe some are one time use as well.

I just noticed this was changed in rebels, when watching it over again
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
What if the only time you see the shields is when they completely block a shot? Like, if you partially block a shot, the shield effect doesn't show, but in those rare instances where the shield eats the entire blast, then you see the shield effect?

So was that what the cruiser was doing in TLJ? Blocking the entire shots coming at it??

Quote:
I could think of allowing sustained and controlled flight for a while , maybe up to an hour, with a max flight cieling of maybe 500 to 1000 meters.

Perhaps if you decide to stay aloft, you can use back to back fuel charges to keep flying??
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
What has the Movies changed?

Yup. Too true. Sadly.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Its not just imperials..
Go back to phantom menace, and did you see ANY examples of shields on those droid control ships? Or the naboo fighters?

Droid control ship - it's only mentioned in few scenes, incuding battle on Naboo when torpedoes could not get through and pilot says "deflector shield is too strong!"

Naboo fighter - visible only after system restart of Anakin's fighter inside the droid control ship.
Naboo fighter shields

garhkal wrote:
Or in ROTS, in that opening cap ship fight? I don't remember seeing a single impact of any weapon's fire on a shield.

There were shield impacts in RotS. In fact it's the only movie that shows it so clearly. Check these blue flashes on the hull
Droid control ship shields
There are visible in few scenes there, especially in the one ending the long shot of Jedi starfighters at the beginning.

garhkal wrote:
Or when we got to ANH, where the ISD was firing on the tantave IV.

Yes, due to the technical capabilities (and budgetary issues) I guess we have to assume that shield at work is when those flashes appear between laser shots on both ships but no damage is visible. [/url]
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Thx1138 wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, in wanted by cracken there was a ship that did use a backup hyperdrive set at I believe a x1/2 multiplier and its primary was set at an x3 I believe, in the text for the ship I think I recall it saying that the ship would use its backup hyperdrive as its primary hyperdrive but kept the x3 as a way of masking it true capabilities. If that's the case, I don't see why some ships might modify there hyperdrive to have a quick switch system allowing for a way to keep the full capabilities of the ship hidden.

I recall something similar, but I just skimmed through Wanted by Cracken and couldn't find it. This does seem slightly over the top to me, though. It seems unlikely that a x1/2 hyperdrive would be mistaken for a x9 or x10 drive on a visual inspection of the type one might get from an Imperial Customs ship. It's be like trying to disguise a V-12 as an Inline-4.

It was in Tramp Freighters.

You guys are thinking about the Redshift runner, I guess. It's on page 16 in Stock Ships. Primary x1 Backup 1/2x (cleverly disguised, of course)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
You guys are thinking about the Redshift runner, I guess. It's on page 16 in Stock Ships. Primary x1 Backup 1/2x (cleverly disguised, of course)

Good catch. So it would seem that WEG, at least by implication, felt that the backup could be used even if the main hyperdrive was not damaged or inoperable.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Straxus wrote:

Good catch. So it would seem that WEG, at least by implication, felt that the backup could be used even if the main hyperdrive was not damaged or inoperable.

Yup. In my game, I'm assuming that changing from one hyperdrive to another is a bit like changing a tire on a car. It takes a little while, and is a bit of hassle, but not super difficult unless you are completely clueless about what to do - or lack basic equipment. But it is also possible to rig a system to change drives with the flip of a few switches, but this is not standard on ships, and would take some time, money, skill and tools/parts to do.

I remembered the Redshift Runner, because I've been toying with the idea of letting the PCs getting hold of it, but without knowing about the super-backup, until they actually have to use it. Perhaps you even need to fiddle with the astrogation computer to compensate, because it appears to be a x12 drive?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is too tangential, but it makes me wonder whether the two hyperdrives could be used at the same time to reduce travel times at the expense of fuel consumption.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Perhaps this is too tangential, but it makes me wonder whether the two hyperdrives could be used at the same time to reduce travel times at the expense of fuel consumption.

I doubt this, but I do think a super uder astrogation check, can influence even a x12 hyperdrive to actually for that jump act as if much faster.

If we look to the kessel run (no spoilers) we know this was done in 12 parsec, which is not a measure of speed, but distance.
To me this indicates astrogaton drive hyperspace time reduction
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by the rules, you can attempt to shave off time on your trip by opting to add to the difficulty of your astrogation roll..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: