The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Template Reuse?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Template Reuse? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Ah. I guess I could have been more clear in my premise. My main point was just to question if any GM would allow the same template to be reused verbatim in the same campaign universe. I think that would be silly, but it seems that some GMs would disallow certain templates from even being a player option because it being reused would be silly (1) as if the GM had no authority to just require the second PC to make some changes so it is not identical and (2) as if some templates would be somehow be ok to be repeated identically while others aren't.

Interstingly enough, and perhaps not surprisingly, for me, its really hard when a character dies because I have to quickly whip up a mew one if I want to rejoin the game. I can say that everytime I can recall doing this, the game just lost its thrust for me. It was like just going through the motions.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kytross wrote:
If the Ewoks were from the same clan, leaving on the same ship. And maybe they didn't stowaway, maybe they traded with a smuggler who was on Endor's moon to harvest fungus to make the spice Rockna blue. Or maybe they were live captured by a hunter who sold them to a private collector or a zoo, etc.

I've had a lot of people play Ewoks, myself included, there's different ways to get them off Endor's Moon.

Just because they left the planet the same way doesn't mean they have the same backstory. What did they do for their clan? Hunter? Shaman? Farmer? Builder? What was their family life like?

Thing is, how well known to the universe WAS endor, before the empire put the DS2 there??

Legends has it well enough known to be a designated nature sanctuary during the Republic... not well known, but it wasn't a completely obscure ball that no one had heard of before the base was put there.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor/Legends
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as per that article
Quote:
Endor was set aside as a protected nature reserve during the Galactic Republic, giving it the name Sanctuary Moon. Few spacers had ever heard of Endor, let alone visited the moon. Of those who had, there were two types: those who continued on their way, not wanting to waste their time on such an unimportant puffball of a moon and those who had crash-landed in the forests due to the stellar anomalies, such as the Endor Gate black hole, in the area. These travelers were forced to scrabble for food and shelter along with the natives.

As ships disappeared in the region, the Endor moon earned a reputation as a "desert island in space," and was usually given a wide berth.

Certainly seems though it might have been known about, it was avoided like the plague.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

If a character dies, I wouldn't allow the player to reuse the character with a new name and the same or really similar backstory.

"No, that was not me, Sven is dead. I am his cousin. My name is Sven."
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Interstingly enough, and perhaps not surprisingly, for me, its really hard when a character dies because I have to quickly whip up a mew one if I want to rejoin the game. I can say that everytime I can recall doing this, the game just lost its thrust for me. It was like just going through the motions.

Use the template for The Outlaw, and say they lost everything when your other PC died! Is it just me or does The Outlaw template seem to be The Outlaw Josey Wales?

[/quote]
Legends has it well enough known to be a designated nature sanctuary during the Republic... not well known, but it wasn't a completely obscure ball that no one had heard of before the base was put there.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor/Legends[/quote]

I always wondered why it was called the Sanctuary Moon. Learn something new every day.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

If a character dies, I wouldn't allow the player to reuse the character with a new name and the same or really similar backstory.

Sven's dead. Long live Sven!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Sven's dead. Long live Sven!

Sven's dead, baby. Sven's dead. *starts chopper and rides off*
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking at the movies (the original trilogy) as a group of players playing the game. I propose that when Obi-wan was killed the player created a new character, Lando. I would also propose that the GM gave instruction that the character of Lando had to be drastically different from Obi-wan. So no reusing templates.

As a side thought I had the notion that a character's background should be a little vague. The character's background could be revealed thought a campaign (Han's player never having any knowledge of Lando and that Lando owned the Falon before the GM revealed it after the session with the hoth escape). The character's background could even be an entire one-off adventure (Solo: Star Wars Story) for that player to play, with the other players playing other characters from the "main" character's past. And each player could have a turn to explore their character's back story.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
When looking at the movies (the original trilogy) as a group of players playing the game. I propose that when Obi-wan was killed the player created a new character, Lando. I would also propose that the GM gave instruction that the character of Lando had to be drastically different from Obi-wan. So no reusing templates.

As a side thought I had the notion that a character's background should be a little vague. The character's background could be revealed thought a campaign (Han's player never having any knowledge of Lando and that Lando owned the Falon before the GM revealed it after the session with the hoth escape). The character's background could even be an entire one-off adventure (Solo: Star Wars Story) for that player to play, with the other players playing other characters from the "main" character's past. And each player could have a turn to explore their character's back story.

Oh, my poor sweet summer child, you simply HAVE to take a look at Darths and Droids. Someone has long since made a years-long webcomic out of the idea of reimagining the Star Wars movies as a gamer group.

They already did the Prequel Trilogy and then the Original Trilogy and they're almost through Rogue One, and then they're going to do the Sequel Trilogy. (I haven't heard anything about them adapting Solo, but I wouldn't put it past them.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: