The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Coaxial hyperfuel. As we can see it is possible to boost ion engines with it in order to escape a powerful gravity well.

How do you see it in the game mechanics? Double the sublight speed and hull value (for the rule of “hull vs tractor beam”)?

This is clearly a short time boost due to stress on the ship's system.

Bump up as the restriction policy is lifted.

And, as another SW movie confirms it:

A mortally wounded character may be conscious.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Considering the D6 rule set, what aspects of the Star Wars universe have been changed in either the prequels or the new flms RO, TFA, and TLJ?

In other words: Where do the D6 Star Wars rules conflict with what is shown in the films?

I don't think anyone would ask this if a new D&D movie came out.

The writers violated a lot of deeply entrenched stuff in Star Wars. Turns out the best way to destroy the Death Star, any Death Star, was a small capital ship on autopilot that crashed into it in hyperspace. That is, apparently, the best way to wage naval warfare in Star Wars. Who knew?

Trying to reconcile the old game to the new movies is gonna be a real tough chore. I fear that way lies madness.

Adding new things in (like specialized the bowcaster discussion) is going to be a lot easier than trying to change rules.

On thing I'm going to add is a custom stormtrooper unit because, now it seems like those are actually relatively common.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movies so far have really only changed details, and with very few exceptions everything in the movies fits almost like hand in glove with the d6 rules
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
The movies so far have really only changed details, and with very few exceptions everything in the movies fits almost like hand in glove with the d6 rules

Yeah that's true, and I do tend to over react. But the changes to the implications of hyperdrive seem pretty big to me. For the most part all the Disney movies seem closer to the D6 universe than anything else. Particularly R1, which even had a Quixotic Jedi!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Yeah that's true, and I do tend to over react. But the changes to the implications of hyperdrive seem pretty big to me. For the most part all the Disney movies seem closer to the D6 universe than anything else. Particularly R1, which even had a Quixotic Jedi!

I’ve managed to explain the Hyperdrive issues to my own satisfaction by making them exceptions to the rule, in that the ship in question was specifically modified as an Intel courier, with advanced tech that allows it to do things other ships can’t.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has hyperdrives really changed that much?

Lets ignore the weight of the drives for a bit.

In rebels, like it or not, we see sabine and ezra simply carry the defender's hyperdrive like a suitcase.

so other than the sizes and weight, what else have seen change.

how they are used, when they have decided to make emergency jumps, r1 and tfa.

every other movie, including solo we them prepare for a bit, then pull a level and Pooooooooof........they are gone.

what do we see in solo, nothing actually new, just the insides of the engine and what happened when injecting the "juice"

we see this in many car movies all the time, yet nobody thinks it in any a change of the engine or how it works.

so other than details on the where and how with blind/emergency jumps, the weight of some hyperdrives

what is actually changed, not adjusted or tweaked, but actually changed?

I actually stuggle finding any majo changes at all in those regards
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes from the old D6 rules: Hyperspace jumps in the gravity well of a planet, receiving communications in hyperspace, it now looks like hyperdrive torpedo-ships piloted by droids should define warfare but for some reason don't. The implications for PC's are potentially pretty big.

I have never seen Rebels and have no plans to, so that's not an issue to me. Nothing against Rebels I just do not have that much time to watch TV.

Star Wars media has become like Star Wars merchandising. Used to be, there was so much merch (and still is) that you couldn't possibly collect it all, so you didn't even try to collect it all. Now there's so much Star Wars media to consume, trying to stay caught up on all of it feels impossible, so I don't sweat it.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
receiving communications in hyperspace

I think it was suggested for the first time in Dark Forces: Jedi Outcast - linked scene with Kyle and Luke.

In the same year AotC confirmed that homing beacons signals can be tracked and followed as the tracked ship is still in hyperspace. You do not need to wait for it to arrive at its destination. I guess in this case you do not calculate your own coordinates, just live feed from the beacon directly to nav comp.

And broadcasting a homing signal via hyperspace does not require large and bulky energy-consuming equipment. Devices are small, handful and efficient like Leia's and Kenobi's.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Has hyperdrives really changed that much?

Lets ignore the weight of the drives for a bit.

In rebels, like it or not, we see sabine and ezra simply carry the defender's hyperdrive like a suitcase.

WEG never officially addressed the weights for starfighter optional equipment, which of necessity would be far more compact than the drive on a light freighter. In a universe where anti-gravity tech is commonplace, the issue of weight can be hand-waved by the use of suspensors or some other form of weight-negation technology.

Quote:
so other than the sizes and weight, what else have seen change.

Rogue One makes this pretty clear. Jumping into HS while still deep inside a planet’s gravity well was far outside the purview of hyperspace travel under the RAW, as was altering course in hyperspace. The ability to send and receive transmissions in effectively real-time while in hyperspace was questionable as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

What do you mean? In which two movies have mortally wounded characters been conscious? Luke seemed conscious in a bacta tank, but i wouldn't call THAT him being mortally wounded.. Or are you on about Anakin after Obi-wan sliced him up on Mustafar.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

What do you mean? In which two movies have mortally wounded characters been conscious? Luke seemed conscious in a bacta tank, but i wouldn't call THAT him being mortally wounded.. Or are you on about Anakin after Obi-wan sliced him up on Mustafar.

I think he means ankain on mustafar and even later on the death star.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

That too, but as we know Jedi are different category = reduce injury and some other "cheating" 8)

In this example I meant last words of the following characters:
Attack of the Clones
Shmi Skywalker
Corde
Zam Wesell

Solo movie
Rio Durant
Tobias Beckett

Rogue 1
Chirrut Îmwe
K-2SO - this one took a lot
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Common sense should have always dictated that. As in the case of numerous mortally wounded Civil War soldiers dying slowly in hospitals while conscious. For example.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

In this example I meant last words of the following characters:
Attack of the Clones
Shmi Skywalker
Corde
Zam Wesell

Solo movie
Rio Durant
Tobias Beckett

Rogue 1
Chirrut Îmwe
K-2SO - this one took a lot

Zam is not conclusive because it could be that the dart poison takes a little time to work and when it does, instant death. But I do take your point on all these. It is common in movies for dying characters to get some final words before dying.

Specifically to "mortally wounded" and to the whole thread topic in general, I'd like to remind everyone that the purpose of the game is to simulate the cinematic reality of Star Wars for the creation of new stories that take place in the same universe of the films. Not everything in the movies has to conform to game mechanics. For example, other "wound statuses" not in the game rules can still exist in the universe the game takes place in, and it can just be that the PCs happen to never have some wound statuses we see in the movies. Your game's PCs not being conscious when mortally wounded doesn't make your adventures not exist in the same universe where some NPCs (film characters) are.

If you want a more realistic game system that has many more wound status than what's in the game, you are free to overhaul it and introduce that level of crunch. If you want, add "mortally wounded but conscious" and "mortally wounded and unconscious" to your damage charts. I have tweaked the wound system, and my tweaks actually address dying character last words without adding any wound status levels. As a GM option if a character game mechanical dies, the round after or even at the end of the encounter, the character may be able to say a few final words to whomever is around to hear it before becoming officially dead in the story. They can even be unconscious or seem dead and then wake up for final words. It doesn't change the outcome in the game, dead is still dead, but it's more cinematic. It isn't just for PCs. I've had mooks wake after a battle and say stuff like, "You Rebel scum won't so so well when the Inquisitor arrives" and then he dies. You an implement this without tweaking the damage chart if you want.

Whill's Damage/Wound System
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, "Able to talk while Mortally Wounded" is a perfectly acceptable use of a Character point (if you had a Force point, you wouldn't be dying, would you?). "If I must die, at least let me do it cinematically" might not apply to TK-421, but it might to FN-2187.

I mean, the game has a mechanic for things happening at a dramatically appropriate moment... while I can understand wanting a lot of simulationism, it's already nodding at narrativism in its design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: