The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zero Gravity movement/combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Zero Gravity movement/combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Zero Gravity movement/combat Reply with quote

I've recently needed to make up a system for zero-G movement for an adventure. I stole some of the stuff from Starfall, but that was pretty thin - not really a well fleshed-out mechanic. I got enough of the framework in place on time to have something workable for that adventure, but I'm considering getting the rest done so there's something complete. I have 2 variants in mind - simple with minimal realism, and moderately complex with greater realism (of course true realism would be nearly impossible and no better than a decent simulation anyway).

BUT - perhaps somebody already has effective Zero G home brew already. Any suggestions where I should look?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a Zero grav skill, though cannot remember which book it is from. If you have it you can roll it for your dodges
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First place I saw it mentioned was in Rules of Engagement, the space ops trooper has it, not sure exactly if it has the rules for it there.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are rules for zero-g combat in The Far Orbit Project. I'll check it out.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant comment on the combat skill, i haven't found that yet but this is from the book: planets of the galaxy volume one: page 14.

Movement In Zero Gravity
Characters can float up to 5 meters per round and have no control over direction unless they have something to push off against, in which case they float 10 meters. Increase the difficulty of all Dexterity and Strength checks by 2 (excluding checks to resist damage). Combined actions are not possible. Characters attempting a full dodge will smash into any object in their path (taking 3D stun damage). Each combat dodge counts as two actions. Characters will be able to control their flight by firing blasters or projectile weapons as a means of propulsion, but this requires a moderate Mechanical roll to control direction. Similarly characters who fire weapons in combat will be pushed away unless they are braced against a wall.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually in DarkStryder: The Kathol Rift, page 46:

"...In zero gravity, all difficulty numbers for Dexterity attribute and skill checks are increased by two. In addition, no combined actions are possible and any character trying a full dodge smashes into an obstacle for 3D stun damage. Normal dodges count as two actions. Characters trained to work or fight in zero-g conditions receive no penalties. Firing blasters in zero gravity sends the shooter off in the opposite direction that the weapon is pointing (this may be used as a tactic for moving in zero gravity - characters must make Moderate Mechanical rolls to control flight)."

Zero-g training is not a skill, it's a Special Ability that negates the zero-g penalties.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this up with some questions.

If in zero gravity, and someone's trying to brawl/melee, are they limited on their parry rolls?

The statement of
Quote:
"...In zero gravity, all difficulty numbers for Dexterity attribute and skill checks are increased by two.

Doesn't clarify if that's Two categories of difficulty, or just +2 difficulty...

So if mongo the merc, chopped with his vibro axe, while in zero grav, would his effective melee combat score be increased?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic necro!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Epic necro!

Indeed, almost nine years (just short 2 months and 3 days).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Bringing this up with some questions.

If in zero gravity, and someone's trying to brawl/melee, are they limited on their parry rolls?

The statement of
Quote:
"...In zero gravity, all difficulty numbers for Dexterity attribute and skill checks are increased by two.

Doesn't clarify if that's Two categories of difficulty, or just +2 difficulty...

So if mongo the merc, chopped with his vibro axe, while in zero grav, would his effective melee combat score be increased?

Seems to me that opposed skills are a wash, but this rule could be exploited by using brawling instead of melee combat: brawling is a strength skill, and therefore not subject to the difficulty increase, while brawling parry is a dex skill and therefore penalized.

I'd like to see something that isn't skill based as the answer. Perhaps pay a CP cost to learn how to "swim" in zero-G.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Epic necro!

Indeed, almost nine years (just short 2 months and 3 days).

True, but i'd rather use an older thread than make a new one..

Quote:
Seems to me that opposed skills are a wash, but this rule could be exploited by using brawling instead of melee combat: brawling is a strength skill, and therefore not subject to the difficulty increase, while brawling parry is a dex skill and therefore penalized.

Maybe, but based on what Ifurin posted from the planets collection, it also impacts str rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: