The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What will be The future of Thrawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What will be The future of Thrawn. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I don’t think they will tinker with Thrawn’s career too much. As a signature character of Legends, I think the intent was to port him over to Canon more or less reverentially as an olive branch to Legends fans. My theory is that the Benioff/Weiss film series will be an adaptation of the original Thrawn Campaign, set in roughly the same timeframe (5 years post-RotJ), and broadly falling out the same way.

That's an interesting idea. Thrawn will become a movie villain? I could be down with that, but who would be the main good guys? They aren't going to have Han, Luke and Leia. If they try to make Thrawn the hero of the story like Outbound Flight, that is probably a worse idea than a Boba Fett movie. They are making a Spider-Man villain movie where he is the hero (or "anti-hero" Rolling Eyes ). I have no interest in villain movies.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They already have a new Han and Lando. Luke and Leia are next. It’s inevitable.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrawn movie? Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

I don't think so. Having new young actors for Han and Lando playing younger versions of their characters is not the same thing as having new actors play versions chronologically in between the original actors portrayals. I actually remember a good amount of outrage at the announcement of Solo because how dare they ever have a different actor portray Han than Harrison Ford. Lucasfilm has announced that they will not recast Leia for Episode IX even though Carrie Fisher will never portray the character again. I don't see them trying to insert new actors playing these characters in between RotJ and TFA.

They should make a canon version of Mara Jade be the protagonist from the beginning. It will at least be honest instead of the dramatic bait and switch we got at the climax of The Last Command.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard suggested (by people with no authority) that Millie Bobby Brown would be a good match for young Carrie Fisher... at least, visually.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

I have my heart set on a comic book series called "Young Luke: The Moisture Farming Chronicles."
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, since they inserted Hayden Christensen into the RotJ finale, nothing is sacred.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Falconer wrote:

I have my heart set on a comic book series called "Young Luke: The Moisture Farming Chronicles."

I am reminded on chapters about whaling in Moby Dick.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Hey, since they inserted Hayden Christensen into the RotJ finale, nothing is sacred.

True, but Sebastian Shaw was 77 when he filmed the ghost scene. Even before the prequels, Anakin was never supposed to have been older than his master. Sebastian Shaw was fine for melty-face Anakin's death scene (thankfully Lucas never put prequel-Anakin there), but Shaw was always wrong for ghost Anakin, even back in 1983. When I first saw RotJ I remember thinking, Who is that grandpa standing beside Yoda? I've heard a lot of fans say that Anakin's ghost should have appeared as he did when he died, but he was all grey, melty and de-limbed when he died! One of my best friends said they should have put age make-up on Christensen to make him a more appropriate age, but I think that would look even dumber and it would still be What-If-Anakin-had-stayed-a-Jedi? So instead of looking like he never had in life (including 30-years older than the character), and instead of the ghost looking all gross as he did when he died, the ghost reverted to a way that he actually did look at some point in his past. It's the best possible solution.

Falconer wrote:
My theory is that the Benioff/Weiss film series will be an adaptation of the original Thrawn Campaign, set in roughly the same timeframe (5 years post-RotJ), and broadly falling out the same way.

I'd be interested in seeing this, but reportedly the two new film series will be unrelated to any prior films. If that is true, I don't see how setting the films in between prior films and dealing with the Empire, a clone of a dark Jedi and existing film characters is unrelated to prior films. Also, the live-action TV series under development will take place near this time period.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to belabor the point of the Force ghost, but, for me when Luke saw the face of his father (the same face he beheld for the first time after taking off the helmet), and he was whole, and smiling gently, and accepted into the company of Ben and Yoda, it was perfect. That is Anakin Skywalker, for me. Young, evilly-smirking Hayden just doesn’t work for me, there, at all. One has meaning for Luke, the other is a strange non-sequitur.

Whill wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing this, but reportedly the two new film series will be unrelated to any prior films. If that is true, I don't see how setting the films in between prior films and dealing with the Empire, a clone of a dark Jedi and existing film characters is unrelated to prior films. Also, the live-action TV series under development will take place near this time period.

It’s not “unrelated,” it’s “separate.” The press release was merely clarifying that that Benioff/Weiss were not going to be working on the previously-announced films, but rather that they were announcing a project that had never been announced before (basically, “Give it its own entry on IMDB/Wookieepedia!”). I don’t think we can assume from that any specifics of character and story.

That said, I’d be happy for the live-action TV series to cover the Thrawn Campaign. Or X-Wing. Or some sort of remix.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My theory is that the Benioff/Weiss film series will be an adaptation of the original Thrawn Campaign, set in roughly the same timeframe (5 years post-RotJ), and broadly falling out the same way.

Maybe we'll see the backbiting of the Tapani sector in their spin-off. It could be very "Game of Thrones".
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Not to belabor the point of the Force ghost, but, for me when Luke saw the face of his father (the same face he beheld for the first time after taking off the helmet), and he was whole, and smiling gently, and accepted into the company of Ben and Yoda, it was perfect. That is Anakin Skywalker, for me. Young, evilly-smirking Hayden just doesn’t work for me, there, at all. One has meaning for Luke, the other is a strange non-sequitur.

I always figured the SebAnakin was Anakin, made whole by his redemption in the Force... he looked as he would have looked, had he not fallen to the Dark Side.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Falconer wrote:

I always figured the SebAnakin was Anakin, made whole by his redemption in the Force... he looked as he would have looked, had he not fallen to the Dark Side.

How he would have looked, had he not fallen to the Dark Side... and lived for 30 more years after RotJ. Ghost of Sithmas past, present and future?

The actor was a full 30 years older than the character when he died. That's far from perfect for me. Of course I never meant to imply that what it was changed to was perfect. It's not. IMO Hayden Christensen's best performance in Star Wars was the immolation scene. Everything else is adequate or subpar, including the odd smirking RotS-Anakin's head on Sebastian Shaw's undamaged Jedi body. Sebastian Shaw played Anakin in his de-masking and death scene because Lucas really wanted Sebastian Shaw. His age didn't really matter since he was had melty-faced make-up. I'm pretty sure the Force Ghost scene with the Sebastian Shaw appearing as What-If-Anakin-had-never-become-Vader was something Lucas thought of after casting Shaw so made do with the same actor face of the death scene. Shaw's ghost is actually What-if-Anakin-had-never-become-Vader-and-also-lived-for-30-more-years-than-he-did.

I'm glad its perfect for some though! You're certainly not alone in enjoying 100% disbelief suspension with "Grandpa Skywalker". My only point in "belaboring" this is because it is my experience that most people that have no trouble with it have criticized me for even noticing that Sebastian Shaw is way too old to play Anakin's father. I've been made to feel that I am committing some sort of sacrilege by stating the reality of a miscast actor for the character age. How dare I snap those nostalgia googles?!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Anakin Skywalker is meant to be about 59 years old at the time of RotJ, and, I think Shaw pulls it off, with a little help from makeup and the fuzziness that comes with being a ghost.

My dad went through chemotherapy when he was about that age, and it made him look way older than Shaw looks in that scene. Many later sources have posited that dark side use ages you, which is pretty idiomatic, if you think of the wizard in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: