The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

-1D from wound question...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> -1D from wound question...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: -1D from wound question... Reply with quote

I think I already know the answer to my question, but I had enough doubt that I thought I'd ask it anyway.

My old 2nd ed GM screen finally bit the dust... falling completely apart in the middle of last week's session. I decided to use the PDFs (that I am proud to say I got here) to make a custom screen for myself. I used pages from a handful or scources. One of those sources was the 2nd ed. Revised GM screen. One of the damage tables said for wounded: "...-1D to all actions until healed." I thought... hmm... "Just to actions?" I got to thinking about it more and I started wondering if I had been deducting the -1D from Strength to resist damage wrongly. When many low to mid challenge enemies have 2D strength... reduced to 1D by being wounded once... makes them pretty worthless very quickly. I had noticed before that anytime a minor character gets wounded, he's pretty much worthless in the rest of the battle... assuming he manages to last more than one more round, of course. So... then I looked it up in the Revised 2nd ed. rulebook. Sure enough, it said, "...-1D to skill and attribute rolls..." I am planning to go by what I have always done, which is the way the book says... reducing Strength to resist damage when wounded... unless someone says something to convince me otherwise.

Any comments would help ease my mind. Thanks.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we started playing under my current GM we tried it out 'by the book' and found that everyone was going down way to easily. So we changed it so that soaking isn't effected by the wound penalty.

The reason they have it so it effects all skills and attribrutes, is because the pain will cloud your mind (effecting knowledge, perception, tech and mech) and all that jumping around and lifting things will agravate the wound (Dex and Strength).

So in the end it's up to you as to how you want your game run. Hard, fast and dangerous, or hard, slower and dangerous.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same for our gaming groups : there is no penalty to strength to resist damage.

(however we keep the -1D STR penelty for melee damage)
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here in my group we do not apply the -1D for strength checks to resist damage. everything else gets the -1D.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for the good explination, I have it. Regardless of whether you use hit location or not, the first thing you have to consider is that the character is not getting hit in the exact same place each time. (Unless the attacker is making called shots to like an organ or something. Even getting hit in the arm twice is very likely different parts.)

So you really just think about it, the body can only handle so much damage (wound levels) but if you wound my arm, does that make my leg weaker at soaking? No, it wouldn't. Even if you narrate injuries to be very specific, after determining a wound to the torso the GM says "The club hit you squarly in the chest. As soon as you recoil you feel a sharp pain in your side. You're pretty sure he broke your rib, you might want to make sure he didn't rupture an organ though. (Quite a graphic description.) That injury however doesn't affect the person's ability to resist more damage, just to move comfortably. (ie, the -1D to actions and attributes.)

The other thing you have to look at is how subtracting dice from resists affects combat. If two identical PC's are fighting with a str+2D weapon each; the first to hit would likely score a wound. Now, he is more likely to hit again, not be hit himself, and when he hits is likely to score an incapacitating hit. You reduce combat to a compitition of who get hit first, as that person will lose (almost definatly unless they were supior to start).

Anyways, there's the reason for why soak shouldn't be affected, and what happens to comba twhen you run it where soak is. Although I'm sure you've seen probably the real bad things that can and do happen that way. (While some games do run combat where it's all about who hits first, I really don't like that.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you want an official answer, you can look at some of the ISB Intercepts in the back of select Adventure Journals and see that, according to WEG, soak rolls are NOT reduced due to injuries.

Hope this helps.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into this discussion over on the holonet a while back. It does say under resisting damage (iirc) that the str roll is not impeeded by wounds or Maps...
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
If your looking for the good explination, I have it. Regardless of whether you use hit location or not, the first thing you have to consider is that the character is not getting hit in the exact same place each time. (Unless the attacker is making called shots to like an organ or something. Even getting hit in the arm twice is very likely different parts.)

So you really just think about it, the body can only handle so much damage (wound levels) but if you wound my arm, does that make my leg weaker at soaking? No, it wouldn't. Even if you narrate injuries to be very specific, after determining a wound to the torso the GM says "The club hit you squarly in the chest. As soon as you recoil you feel a sharp pain in your side. You're pretty sure he broke your rib, you might want to make sure he didn't rupture an organ though. (Quite a graphic description.) That injury however doesn't affect the person's ability to resist more damage, just to move comfortably. (ie, the -1D to actions and attributes.)

The other thing you have to look at is how subtracting dice from resists affects combat. If two identical PC's are fighting with a str+2D weapon each; the first to hit would likely score a wound. Now, he is more likely to hit again, not be hit himself, and when he hits is likely to score an incapacitating hit. You reduce combat to a compitition of who get hit first, as that person will lose (almost definatly unless they were supior to start).

These are exactly some of the things that I was thinking about when I made my oppening post. I'm really glad that I decided to post this question now. The reactions here are not what I expected. I like the hit location idea. I have always tried to keep my D6 game very simple and tried to avoid doing anything that might make combat, especially, slower. Maybe I'll come up with some home-brewed rules on specifically what skills and attributes are affected by a hit in a certain body location.

Again, thank you guys a lot for all the great advice. I'll make good use of it.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't need house rules for select skills affected by hit location, so long as you consider the penalty a combination of movement and pain; with pain being the more important of the two. If I get blasted in my left arm, shooting gun with my right is more difficult just because I have to concentrate on ignoring the pain and everything I need to do to shoot the gun. It's almost like when injured you're required to "take an action" to overcome the pain to act, and you could view the penatly due to injury as almost a MAP in a way. Or you could just view it as a penalty due to lowered range of motion. Either way, the point is really that you're just injured.

The only real "modifier" you might have to make is reduced movement. A leg hit could really slow you down, but it doesn't have to. A leg hit could slow you down I would guess 1-3 off move depending on where it hit and how bad (at least a wound). I would say, perhaps you could just roll a D6 and the player loses 1D6-3 off move. Then half the time their move wouldn't be affected and they have equal chance for the -1, -2, and -3 penalties. But it's your game, if you want to make select skills affected by certain injuries, go for it. It could get really complex though, because getting hit in your off arm would be different than your good arm; and a shoulder hit is very different than mid arm. (In fact, any joint shot would be far worse than a non-joint injury.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How i handle limb damage, is thus:

If called shot is successful, limb iis rendered unusable until healed on a damage roll of Incap. It is rendered useless until bacta treatment on a Mortally wounded result, and is torn off (cut off etc) on a dead result. An incap to the limb, gives just a wound to the whole body. A MW or more, knocks the person out.
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: dice penalties to strength Reply with quote

I know we've strayed from the topic into the area of wounding specific body parts, but I happened to be looking up something in 2nd edition revised and expanded, and came across this:

Quote:
A character always rolls his or her full strength to resist damage (even if wounded), although disease and other circumstances may reduce a character's strength dice.

It's on page 80, 6th bullet point under free actions. You don't need a house rule for this.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reduce everything by -1D except strength to resist damage.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: dice penalties to strength Reply with quote

entropy wrote:
I know we've strayed from the topic into the area of wounding specific body parts, but I happened to be looking up something in 2nd edition revised and expanded, and came across this:

Quote:
A character always rolls his or her full strength to resist damage (even if wounded), although disease and other circumstances may reduce a character's strength dice.

It's on page 80, 6th bullet point under free actions. You don't need a house rule for this.

Ahh! Thanks, Entropy. I don't remember reading that before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: