The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Overcoming Scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Overcoming Scale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Overcoming Scale Reply with quote

I have been kicking around the idea of overcoming scale by using a combined action and wanted to know what others thought of this.

Overcoming Scale
When using combined actions, for every three extra actions, one level of scale can be overcome. This gives no additional damage or benefit. Additional extra actions can be "spent" normally for additional damage, etc.

Example: Four Y-wings are attacking an Imperial-I Star Destroyer. The commander makes his command roll and can add in his additional three pilots. He decides to spend these actions to upgrade the ion torpedoes from starship scale to capital ship scale damage.

This does bring up the question if starfighter's can carry capital ship killing ion torpedoes. My thoughts would be yes, as we already have planes that carry ship-killing missiles.

What do the rest of you think?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume each ship must expend a torpedo?
How many attack rolls are made?

You may want to limit the maximum damage that can occur when using this (such as destruction of a specific system, rather than outright destroying the entire capitol ship with a single volley).
WillTasker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Overcoming Scale Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Example: Four Y-wings are attacking an Imperial-I Star Destroyer. The commander makes his command roll and can add in his additional three pilots. He decides to spend these actions to upgrade the ion torpedoes from starship scale to capital ship scale damage.

I think you're onto something here but it requires more fleshing out. Namely, there should be penalties - something like -2D for the commander (skill check plus the act of combining the units into one force) and -1D for the other pilots (as they're acting as a unit). Obviously in this case, if you're counting munitions like we use to on occasion, you'd have to mark that down on the ships.

So maybe a little like the Heir To The Empire Force power, where C'Boath controls the TIE fighters, I guess? (My memory on that rule is fuzzy, someone jump in with clarification)
thedemonapostle
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that the combined attacks would act more like fire linking weapons and just use the rules for linking weapons to increase the damage.

in regards to the can starfighters carry anti-capital ship munitions question, i would say yes as in much the same way real world fighter jets can carry nukes. while the larger nukes typically require a dedicated bomber for their delivery, smaller nukes can be carried by fighter jets. for star wars i would say that the larger anti-capital ship munitions are just too big for your starfighters requiring something more along the size of a light to medium space transport for proper delivery, but an x-wing, y-wing or more likely a k-wing could carry an anti-capital ship missile/mine/bomb that does somewhere in the area of 4D to 6D capital scale damage if not more.

now for ion torpedoes the damage would probably be around 8D - 9D starfighter scale. which, iirc, is around 2D - 3D capital scale. now if you and a few friends use command and all shoot an ion torpedo at a capital ship it will do somewhere in the area of 10D-11D starfighter scale or 4D-5D capital scale ionization damage. if you were all carrying anti-capital ship ion torpedoes and did the same action as before and the base damage is as suggested above then your combined damage would probably be around 6D-8D capital scale ionization damage. now that is a credible threat to an ISD.

i would say that a new rule to overcome scale isnt needed that you just need to be a little looser with the rules.

by your rule couldnt someone just get a couple dozen guys with blaster pistols and use command to take control of their actions and just shoot at anything and then destroy it at around or greater than death star scale?

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: