The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using One Note for Gaming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Using One Note for Gaming Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I saw a video recently where someone suggested using OneNote to organise game stuff.
I have it on my computer, but when I opened it I could not understand how it was supposed to work.

It too me a week or so to figure it out but once I did I have no idea how I missed it all these years. I ran a 10 hour session last night. We all had One Note up. All the character sheets were on it as well as all the information.

I have One Note that came installed with my computer and I have an older One Note 2016. So I had one GM's notebook for myself with all the information in it. The other notebook was shared between us. So when the players stole an imperial shuttle and one of them didn't know what it looked like (I know.....I know....) I was able to google and drop the picture into the notebook right then and there for them to see.

I would copy the notes they needed to see or map layouts from the GM's book to the players when they needed to see them. Drop maps. Ship stats.
It is one of the most fantastic tools I have ever used.

I still do not know how to use all the features. There are ways to add video and audio clips to the notebooks. I have not tinkered with it yet. I did make this morning a new notebook just for the players' characters. It contains the characters used on this mission that may be saved for anther mission later. That was so I could just close out the notebook and archive it.

There are a a bunch of tutorials on how to use it. I have looked at a couple. A bunch more I probably need to look at.

http://www.nerdsourced.com/use-onenote-to-buff-your-rpgs/

That is the link my buddy sent me when he first started using it.
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Urban Spaceman wrote:
I saw a video recently where someone suggested using OneNote to organise game stuff.
I have it on my computer, but when I opened it I could not understand how it was supposed to work.

This was the video I watched to get me started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COScoRiI1fM. I just substituted Star Wars for D&D. Also, the edition of OneNote I have is different than the one in the video (my tabs are on the left, not on top).

The tabs on the top are for One Note 2016. The newer one has the tabs on the left. I actually have both installed and use them at the same time. The One Note 2016 is a bit hard to find. A friend of mine actually hooked me up with the file for it. I installed it and pinned it to my toolbar with the other one so I didn't always have to open MS Office which I do not have.

If you don't have an active office subscription they say some things are disabled in the new One Note that are not disabled in the older One Note 2016. I have not figured out what they are but that is what I have read.

If I am looking at the DnD, Pathfinder or SWd6 rule sets I prefer the older version with the top tabs. It seems to be easier to navigate for particular rules. For my games I prefer the left tab. It seems to be quicker when changing things on the players.
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is two different shots of the SWd6 rule set I copied into one note for easy reference. One is the 2016 version. It has the top tabs. The other is the newer version with the side tabs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AfPBIG4yc32bVIR91m_-p84wQFxfVtFU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ft6mZ1dxHs0kP6vBhFnLcupKKYzYUllk

To me the 2016 has the better feel for the rules. Since it is more massive as far as sections I seem to find things easier. Since the game notebooks tend to be smaller the side tabs are not a problem as I am typically in one section or page for a while.

This is the view in the older One Note of the game I ran last night.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ptjDDpE8eiO1QFpuYuqsosyWGasUJNZD

And this is the view in the newer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0IVbyfm0Da0BGB9tVmXzUq53Mv1dY_7

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. But as a tool I can access from home, work or on the road it really is fantastic.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RyanDarkstar and ReverendKeaton. I have some spare time coming up soon, so will try and spend some of it looking at OneNote.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess i will have to find a copy to download, i don't have it on my pc (yet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: