The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill, remind me, what was FFG's first canon product?
Falconer wrote:
The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Of course Falconer is correct.

cheshire wrote:
Hmm... very interesting. I'd kind of gone off buying the FFG SW line...

Me too. They stopped being carried at my local retail outlets so I can't look at them before I buy. I've got three of the books in an Amazon list but they are just too expensive to buy site unseen.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started reading them, but I think there was only one that I ever finished cover to cover, and I didn't feel quite inspired for running a game. Part of that is probably had to do with where my gaming groups were at the time (i.e., both being GMed by someone else, and one of them being Doctor Who). The art is gorgeous, and they put quite a lot of time into developing a high-quality book, but I'm just not finding myself enough into the mechanics, and the fluff hasn't been carrying it for me on its own so far in the profession-specific books.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the more I look at this product description, and how they're listing it with the rest of their products, I'm beginning to wonder how this particular book came to be. They set up their "three product line" concept to cater to gamers running different flavors of games. It looked like they weren't planning on developing media tie ins when they started their RPG line. I'm wondering if this particular media tie-in came from an internal set of ideas, or whether it came from pressure from the license holder. LFL had put pressure on WotC in the past to create media tie ins, and even had a sit-down with WotC while their RPG books were on hiatus, resulting in a few RPG stats getting sprinkled into one of their miniatures products to satisfy their contracts.

I'd be interested if FFG gives any hints as to the hows and whys they came up with this book given how it fits in so differently from their other book concepts.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as far as I can tell, Dawn of Rebellion looks like the very first FFG book to be designed to cater to all three of the game lines at once. Not that I'm an expert with any sort of knowledge of the FFG Star Wars stuff. I like some of their fluff, but their game system looks so clunky to me that only a guy with a complexity addiction could have any hope of being able to play it, never mind enjoying it.

Even so, I'm still looking forward to this book if for no other reason that it will likely be a huge help to us Womp Rat Press guys working on the R1 and Rebels S2 & S3 books. I hate that we have to wait anywhere from 3 to 6 months for this book for what hopefully will be very useful fluff for our books.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complexity addicts, lol. Yeah, the GM for the FFG Age of Rebellion convention adventure I played in was even making a bit of fun by saying that "FFG prints money".

cheshire wrote:
You know, the more I look at this product description, and how they're listing it with the rest of their products, I'm beginning to wonder how this particular book came to be. They set up their "three product line" concept to cater to gamers running different flavors of games. It looked like they weren't planning on developing media tie ins when they started their RPG line. I'm wondering if this particular media tie-in came from an internal set of ideas, or whether it came from pressure from the license holder. LFL had put pressure on WotC in the past to create media tie ins, and even had a sit-down with WotC while their RPG books were on hiatus, resulting in a few RPG stats getting sprinkled into one of their miniatures products to satisfy their contracts.

I'd be interested if FFG gives any hints as to the hows and whys they came up with this book given how it fits in so differently from their other book concepts.

My impression is that the game license is a very different situation under Disney. FFG announced their three-RPG product lines in 2012, and 2.5 months later the Lucasfilm sale to Disney with new movies was announced. Fying in the face of Disney's "everything is canon" policy, FFG RPG material continuity was across-the-board regulated to Legends status. I can think of no reason why FFG would not want to do canon movie tie-ins, which tells me that they were disallowed by Disneyfilm, with now only two exceptions. The only motivation I can think of for Disneyfilm restricting FFG from canon tie-ins would be to make it easier on the story group for managing canon continuity.

The flaw with my theory is that the story group is doing a piss-poor job at managing publishing continuity without much RPG material to account for, so it really makes me wonder if they are really even trying that hard. If not, then what would be the big deal is having canon RPG material?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the feeling that the RPG section is a secondary concern for them, with the miniatures games being their primary thing. Pity, that.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I have the feeling that the RPG section is a secondary concern for them, with the miniatures games being their primary thing. Pity, that.

That may be, but it's not like they're neglecting the FFG RPG. There's a whole lotta RPG fluff and crunch, contracted Star Wars art, and MSRP value below!

Beginner Games
Edge of the Empire
Age of Rebellion
Force and Destiny
The Force Awakens

Edge of the Empire RPG

EOTE Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Beyond the Rim
The Jewel of Yavin
Mask of the Pirate Queen

Supplements
EOTE Game Master's Kit
Enter the Unknown
Suns of Fortune
Dangerous Covenants
Far Horizons
Lords of Nal Hutta
Fly Casual
Special Modifications
No Disintegrations

Age of Rebellion RPG

AOR Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Onslaught at Arda I
Friends Like These

Supplements
AOR Game Master's Kit
Stay on Target
Desperate Allies
Strongholds of Resistance
Lead by Example
Forged in Battle
Fully Operational
Cyphers and Masks

Force and Destiny RPG

FAD Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Chronicles of the Gatekeeper
Ghosts of Dathomir

Supplements
FAD Game Master's Kit
Keeping the Peace
Nexus of Power
Savage Spirits
Endless Vigil
Disciples of Harmony

Era sourcebooks for all three RPG lines
Dawn of Rebellion
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFG RPG: Dawn of Rebellion video review

My local FLGS got this in yesterday and I picked it up. The book is indeed for use with all three of the FFG RPG lines. From my quick thumb-through, there is a lot of potentially useful fluff, including stuff from Rogue One. Above is a brief overview of the book by Nathan Butler of Star Wars Timeline Gold fame. Nathan mentions the GM campaign story arcs planning section in the back which looks promising. Nathan doesn't mention that the book features info on Death Troopers and Shore Troopers. The art is overall good, up to par with all the rest of the FFG Star Wars line.

But one thing that really stood out to me is that it has art, stats, and capsules for all the major SW Rebels characters but it does not include any images from the TV show. The character images are drawn in the style of all the rest of the whole RPG line style, so they don't have the cartoony ridiculous-looking large eyes, etc. These characters look more realistic and now it is much easier for me to imagine them existing in the Star Wars universe.

Dawn of Rebellion on Wookieepedia
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
FFG RPG: Dawn of Rebellion video review

My local FLGS got this in yesterday and I picked it up. The book is indeed for use with all three of the FFG RPG lines. From my quick thumb-through, there is a lot of potentially useful fluff, including stuff from Rogue One. Above is a brief overview of the book by Nathan Butler of Star Wars Timeline Gold fame. Nathan mentions the GM campaign story arcs planning section in the back which looks promising. Nathan doesn't mention that the book features info on Death Troopers and Shore Troopers. The art is overall good, up to par with all the rest of the FFG Star Wars line.

But one thing that really stood out to me is that it has art, stats, and capsules for all the major SW Rebels characters but it does not include any images from the TV show. The character images are drawn in the style of all the rest of the whole RPG line style, so they don't have the cartoony ridiculous-looking large eyes, etc. These characters look more realistic and now it is much easier for me to imagine them existing in the Star Wars universe.

Dawn of Rebellion on Wookieepedia

Hot damn, FINALLY! Thank you, Whill, for posting this. I'm gonna take a look at this video to see what's what with this book. I'm definitely gonna need to procure a copy of it myself. Oliver Queen and the rest of us working on our D6 fanbooks for RO and Rebels Season 3 are definitely going to take a gander at this.

Just finished watching the video review. Yeah, this is definitely relevant to our work. I'm sure some redundancies are going to pop up, but better to have the info in this book than not.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good looking book. Sure wish D6 were the rule system, though.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Hot damn, FINALLY! Thank you, Whill, for posting this. I'm gonna take a look at this video to see what's what with this book. I'm definitely gonna need to procure a copy of it myself. Oliver Queen and the rest of us working on our D6 fanbooks for RO and Rebels Season 3 are definitely going to take a gander at this.

Just finished watching the video review. Yeah, this is definitely relevant to our work. I'm sure some redundancies are going to pop up, but better to have the info in this book than not.

You're welcome.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Damn good looking book. Sure wish D6 were the rule system, though.

Me too! Although it would overlap with the aforementioned Rebels season guides, it might not be too much trouble for someone to make a stat conversion document for this book like all the ones done for the WotC books. That way you'd have the D6 stat companion for all the fluff already in the book. This is probably one of the best FFG books so far, up there with the Hutt book they put out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few reservations regarding the system.

Now for a very knowledgeable GM, well versed in Star Wars the game could be fun and good.

But there are too many things I don't understand, like how the force works in the game, as if the emperor ever risked "doubt" as in being fuled by light side and thus having to take strain to fry people with his lightning.

Or Vader choking the officers.

I don't understand this concept, though I suspect it is a rather clumsy way of making the force neutral.

Now having played the game a few times, it has dawned on me that skills and the like can not be fully translated from D6, but I did get the feeling that the pilots were pilots in name only.

The pilot templates from D6 at lest by default put the pilot as a skilled to a professional level in his job, while I feel FFG since it does not give these default, you risk too much being the ace pilot that can't fly, the master sniper that never held a weapon etc etc.

Now I know how the dice woeks and the green ones we can very roughly compare with a D& attribute default level in regards to skills.....

I would actually have liked the system more if the 110/120 starting xp to build was reduced to 40, but you was given a template that more correctly reflect the name and aspect of the role and class/jod you actually do.

so your finished start being transformed into a template ( this more correctly to me reperesent actual traning) then get 40 or so to make it unique, compared with the 7D to skills we are used to from D6.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with FFG Star Wars and Canon discrepencies.

Lets look at the various classes, their names and what they are supposed to represent.
Take Storm Troopers, and then look at how the specializations work.

We can agree that stormtroopers are soldiers, so the specializations makes sense.
The Trailblazer could work to represent the scout troopers, though they would more
accurately be actual scouts, from the explorer class.

Looking further at their actualy canon training and what skills they should have.

Here we begin to break the game, we begin to accumulate a large number of starting XP
ALL Stormcommandos that ever served in the empire was first stormtroopers, and as
part of their commando traning they were graduates of the flight acadmy, making them
each and every one a qualified TIE fighter, in addition to being stormtroopers.

Looking at the stormtrooper tranining, we know from canon (all canon, not just movies
but everything canon) that stormtroopers are tranied in piloting AT-sts as part of their
recruit training, which should by default give them the all terrain pilot talent for free
as well a skill rank for free in the skills related to their training.
Ranged light+heavy, gunnery, and most likely a few more.

Totaling at least the full 110/120xp build and more, as a mere default for the private

The best fix in my oppinion will break the game, but it is to allow a free pick of any talent
from any tree without actually buying the tree.

Allow the soldier Commando, to pick talents from Ace-Pilot and be allowed this without
buying the pilot tree, or be allowed the pilot tree as a class tree for soldier.

It makes no sense to me that a stormtrooper is that only in name and in no way reflects this
in skills or talents, comapered to the actual canon we see.

Looking at the jedi classes, they should all get free lightsaber, after all they have trained
with one since they could walk, and ALL jedi are trained in them.......

-But this game is from a time when there are no jedi and ONLY then, that is freedom to
be creative, we can play ANY Era without jedi

Unless you can with no added XP cost pick freely from any other class' specializations and talents
then this game's ruels can not actually emulate star wars, neither as seen in the movies
or as seen/referecned to in canon.

How can I without breaking the game by adding 1000s of extra xp, make a true reperesentation
of a stormtrooper, one that by default needs more than the soldier class specs?

I am of the mindset that if a game system can not mechanically allow something, even a minute detail
from actual canon, then the system is wrong for that spesific setting.

I like the system, but to me it is not star wars, when the Stormcommando is a name, and
not an actual stormcommando, havin zero elements of their actual coanon elements, then
maybe a good system is not for the setting.

I have have played around and tried to make some house rules to remedy this, by turning
the classes int premade templates, ignoring the normal rules for creatio, like addin the
Pilot Specialization for free to the soldier, so that the commandos couls actually be what
they are in canon, among the best, even among the best pilots, as they for the most part
pilot the "elite" intercaptors.

But take the commando spec, comaper it to the pilot spec, and then ask who is the better pilot,
answer is the pilot spec, but the comando is both.....and he didn't have to stop being a soldier change his
class, BUY a new spec, he was sent to flight school as part of his training.

so the way the talents and such is built makes no sense, a jedi knight in this game knows about
1/4 of what a youngling padawan actually knows in canon, and he can't use a lightsaber even
unless he actuall paied to learn it later in life.

It is like the professional driver that had never even seen a car, but hey in FFG that
is what the drivers are......forget their actual training.

Then we can argue that we never actually see in the movies any of the things I have complained
about, we don't see commandos pilot the interceptors, we see only fractions of trainings
we only see specialized all terrain pilot man those vehicles and so forth.
We only see stormes in groups, we only see them do this and that.....

does this say they ONLY ever know this, we don't see them eat or drink, so why didn't the rebels wait 5 days
and the entire empire had died of thirst?
We never see reloads, nor do we see actual modifications made, or things added or removed
from armors, etc.

We don't see any of this, but reloads and armor mods are part of the game, so why not make all of canon part
of the game, even the things we don't see.

Looking at the way ships are made here, it is to a miniature boardgame adaptation, not a RP one.
All the ships sharing a silhouette is not the same size, nor the sme shape.
We have from cnon/eu scourses where sil 3 ship are actually carried inside sil 3 ships........not allowed by rules.

custoizing ships, liek the canon corvus, none of the rules so far allows this ship to exist, and then it is actually
the game system that is flawed to the setting, not the otherway around.

How do you guys out there solve the issues with canon/rules discrepencies.

How do you solve a ship having 7-8 actual modifications done to it, but a system allowing upt to 2
maybe 3 with certain talents, that should not actually be required.

Anyone regardless of talent can by a ship, if this ship is X, and the rules do not allow X, and this is actually canon
then the rules are flat out wrong.

The only thing you need to modify a ship to any lenght is time, money and a shipyard......not a set number of
hardponts, that include spending one to change the paint .

if in the real world you can remove an armor plate and replace it with another material plate, then the system
should allow this........since it is supposed to be so " realistic"

So far I have found little I actually understand about this system and how it even remotely connects to star wars.

I would call it a star wars rpg, if I renamed the D&D orc with wookie, and renamed the scorcerer jedi consular
it would be D&D with some star wars inspired names.

And FFG is not a star wars game at all, but a RPG system with added star wars names, not any actual themes
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away at the moment, so don't have the FF books to hand, haven't played in this system (but am planning to run it) and don't want to get too far involved here where D6 is it the prime focus.

But, regarding the Pilot example, you can have a certain amount of points allocated to the relevant career skill (piloting - planetary or piloting space), as can anyone, but it's the career talent tree that gives them the edge over other people and can get the best out of the vehicle (i.e. making it go faster, or more it difficult to hit).
The talent tree allows a pilot to be one with a vehicle, not just fly from A to B.
Anyone who wants to play a pilot but doesn't spend points in piloting should reconsider their career choice!

I'm not quite sure why you are trying to relate the Conflict/Morality concept to the Emperor and Vader. However, we do know Vader had conflict within him, and Anakin did things that he knew were wrong, but he felt justified in doing.
The FF system doesn't seem to much different to the D6 idea of "gain a DS point, roll a D6" method. Gain Conflict, roll a dice, gain or lose Morality.

For the Stormtrooper stuff, if the default character creation won't let you build what you think you need to have, then change it, or find a reason why your trooper isn't up to scratch. Maybe they were injured and left on a battlefield for dead, or didn't finish their training for some reason?
Remember though that as NPC's, the Stormtroopers are Minions, and only really a threat to PC's in a group. What you are describing sounds like a Rival or Nemesis level (good for a PC, but if all stormtroopers were that deadly then PC death would be a regular occurrence).
D6 Stormtroopers don't have any of the skills you've mentioned either, and start with 2D in all attributes except DEX (I think), so would also need some additional explaining if you were to create one as a PC.

I also think it's slightly wrong to label the system as "supposed to be realistic", as it's a narrative system, not a simulation. The concepts are presented as a guideline, which is why things like Range/Distance/Silhouette are vague rather then precise.
There are also ways to add Hardpoints to items. I'm sure one of the Career Talent trees lets someone do this.

Canon is evolving too, so even something put in a book written tomorrow could be out of date after the next film. It's your game, not FF's or WEG's, so make things how you and your group want them to be.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: FFG SW RPG Reply with quote

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/10/rise-of-the-separatists/

The second era sourcebook was announced, Rise of the Separatists. It says it deals with the early Clone Wars era. Maybe they hope to also release a late Clone Wars era book that will incorporate the new episodes of the TV show that they are making.

---

And here are two free adventures released by FFG, adapted to D6:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lbxkww88gp9c370/AABxwGT5SlBMzMP9CktDfZqga
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: