The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corkman321 wrote:
Good day! I just got done looking through some of this material (and joined the R.P.) and wanted to say that I'm going to try and incorporate some of this into our home game.

Welcome to the Pit!

Naaman wrote:
For some reason, your post count shows as 0.

I saw that. The post was originally triplicated but his post count was zero. I deleted two of the three and it still shows zero. I looked at his account in the admin panel and I can't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't know what's causing that. I'll be interested to see if the post count corrects itself after more posts.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
You know, what if you just make unarmed combat (i.e. no weapons at all) be a Stun weapon. Minimally armed (brass knuckles, standard knife) might upgrade this to lethal damage.

In a situation like this, Wookie Climbing Claws might simply serve to give wookies an option for lethal damage... and you can even then have a ruling on using the claws, that they are inappropriate to use on someone not armed (including other Wookies who are not bearing actual weapons).

Could be. But, there is a theme for this thread that implies we are talking about characters with a military skill set. Not every soldier is a world class martial artist, but every soldier is trained to kill with bare hands (even if at only the most basic level).

That being said, I would want to retain the potential for lethal damage via unarmed attacks. It occurs to me that melee weapons in general would need an overhaul in order to fit into this system. I may get around to this, but my next project will be lightsabers (a detailed system of building/designing lightsabers and using them in combat). From there, I may develop some usable concepts for melee combat.

I was thinking about the brawling damage thing and have come up with an idea.

There are a couple of ways it could go, so I'll just cover all of them.

We know it is possible to inflict real damage with bare hands/feet. But, in general, a weapon is preferred over fists/feet. But if we look at what is statistically most common, there are more untrained people than trained people.

Also, physical strength matters.

So, using humans as an example, what if you needed training in brawling to cause lethal (that is, wounded or higher) damage? So, 3D in brawling. But, since the training is so basic, you could impose a penalty on the damage roll (say -5) if the attacker chooses to cause lethal damage.

Then, at 4D (professional level) there is no more penalty. At 5D and up, you get a +1 bonus on damage for each full D above 4D.

However, there are some considerations. Suppose a human and a wampa got into a fight. The wampa isn't trained in brawling per se, but it has 7D in strength. Now, I don't particularly have a problem imposing a -5 penalty on the wampa's damage, as I feel its strenth attribute is more representative of it physical constitution than its martial skill. A similar issue arises with wookiees who have a strength of up to 6D. But it seems that lethal damage should be possible.

Perhaps an untrained character who rolls 10 over the attack difficulty should get lethal damage? This would facilitate naturally strong brutes being able to overpower their prey and still get a meal without a weapon, or perhaps a wookiee fighting a gaggle of ewoks and "Hulk smashing" them into oblivion.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics Skill

Some uses for the tactics skill I have been mulling over.

Characters with the appropriate specialization can use other skills in special ways not normally covered by the skill in question.

Tactics: Close Quarters Battle

Compressed Ready:
Requirements: Blaster 3D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When wielding a blaster pistol, if the first action you declare in a round where both sides are surprised is an attack with your pistol, you gain a +1D bonus to your initiative roll.

Muzzle Thump:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 4D

A character may use his blaster skill to make a melee attack against an opponent by jabbing the muzzle of his blaster rifle (or other long gun) at the target's body (typically the chest or face). Roll the blaster skill (or whatever specialization the character has that applies to the weapon in hand). Damage is Strength +3D, but can never be more serious than stunned. Once per round, a character may use this technique as a free action in conjunction with firing his blaster at the same or a different target.

Zipper Drill:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When firing your blaster, after rolling damage, but before the result is determined, you may choose to fire an additional 1D+2 rounds of ammunition (this counts as an additional action) to add +1D to the damage roll you just rolled. Treat this extra die like a bonus die from spending a character point (it explodes on a 6).
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Tactics Skill

Muzzle Thump:

A character may use his blaster skill to make a melee attack against an opponent by jabbing the muzzle of his blaster rifle (or other long gun) at the target's body (typically the chest or face). Roll the blaster skill (or whatever specialization the character has that applies to the weapon in hand). Damage is Strength +3D, but can never be more serious than stunned. Once per round, a character may use this technique as a free action in conjunction with firing his blaster at the same or a different target.

I'll be stealing this one.

The others I already have versions of.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was but a young private fresh out of basic training when a special forces NCO taught me that one.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Tactics Skill

Some uses for the tactics skill I have been mulling over.

Characters with the appropriate specialization can use other skills in special ways not normally covered by the skill in question.

Tactics: Close Quarters Battle

Compressed Ready:
Requirements: Blaster 3D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When wielding a blaster pistol, if the first action you declare in a round where both sides are surprised is an attack with your pistol, you gain a +1D bonus to your initiative roll.

Muzzle Thump:

Zipper Drill:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When firing your blaster, after rolling damage, but before the result is determined, you may choose to fire an additional 1D+2 rounds of ammunition (this counts as an additional action) to add +1D to the damage roll you just rolled. Treat this extra die like a bonus die from spending a character point (it explodes on a 6).

Came up with another option for Compressed Ready:

You gain a +1D to your dodge skill in a CQB environment if some kind of cover is available to you while you are wielding a pistol.

For me, this more accurately expresses the reasons why I prefer a pistol over a carbine in very tight quarters (there are many who disagree with me on this, preferring the power of a carbine/SBR over the handiness of the pistol).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on Compressed Ready: in a fight “where both sides are surprised” just be normal initiative?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But the context is CQB.

In CQB, there are two "modes."

Stealth: the "attackers" move through an area undetected at a "slow" pace until a threat is encountered. If the threat detects the attacker, then both sides are surprised (roll initiative normally). If the attacker remains undetected, they gain all the benefits of surprise.

Dynamic: In a dynamic scenario, stealth is eschewed for speed and violence of action. Generally, a threat will be hiding/preparing for an attacker they already know is coming due to an explosive breach or other means of "dynamic entry" (an entry with no regard for stealth). Depending on the tactical savvy of either side, an attacker may still be able to surprise the threat or vice versa.

The point being that, after initial contact, the initiative bonus no longer applies unless a situation occurs where both parties lose track of each other and then discover each other again later.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting on the Move

Sometimes, it is necessary to stay mobile while projecting force at a live threat.

A character with at least 4D in tactics may use the following option:

A character may move at his normal speed (in most cases, 10m) while firing his weapon simultaneously. This movement also counts as the character "dodging" ranged attacks directed at him (as he moves from cover to cover, for example).

In this case, two actions are being taken simultaneously (the attack and the dodge). Under normal circumstances, each skill would suffer a -1D penalty.

However, using the tactical option, a character may choose to displace the penalty to his dodge roll so that it instead applies to his blaster roll, taking a total of -2D on blaster, while rolling his full normal dodge skill.

Example:

Rebel Rick is advancing on an imperial bunker and needs to move from cover to cover while addressing the imperial soldier who has maneuvered to his flank. He moves quickly to the next piece of cover while firing his blaster (somewhat hastily) at the imperial troop.

Rick's blaster skill is 6D and his dodge skill is 5D+2. He chooses to take a -2D penalty to his blaster skill, rolling 4D to attack the enemy, and retaining his full 5D+2 against any shots fired at him during his movement.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Shooting on the Move

Sometimes, it is necessary to stay mobile while projecting force at a live threat.

A character may move at his normal speed (in most cases, 10m) while firing his weapon simultaneously. This movement also counts as the character "dodging" ranged attacks directed at him (as he moves from cover to cover, for example).

In this case, two actions are being taken simultaneously (the attack and the dodge). Under normal circumstances, each skill would suffer a -1D penalty.

However, using the tactical option, a character may choose to displace the penalty to his dodge roll so that it instead applies to his blaster roll, taking a total of -2D on blaster, while rolling his full normal dodge skill.

Example:

Rebel Rick is advancing on an imperial bunker and needs to move from cover to cover while addressing the imperial soldier who has maneuvered to his flank. He moves quickly to the next piece of cover while firing his blaster (somewhat hastily) at the imperial troop.

Rick's blaster skill is 6D and his dodge skill is 5D+2. He chooses to take a -2D penalty to his blaster skill, rolling 4D to attack the enemy, and retaining his full 5D+2 against any shots fired at him during his movement.

Interesting. I think I like it. But, then again, I've enjoyed all of your updates for tactical combat.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Shooting on the Move

Sometimes, it is necessary to stay mobile while projecting force at a live threat...

I already have movement occurring during other actions (movement occurs over the course of the whole round, instead of RAW which unrealistically has all movement for a round occur during a single action segment of the round). That technically means other actions a character takes happen during their movement.

I like the concept of using tactics to shift the MAPs around between combat actions. I hadn't thought about that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Shooting on the Move

Example:

Shouldn'tt hat be three actions, one for the shot, one for the dodge AND one for the move??
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on if you want to count moving as an action that imposes MAPs, I guess.

But, I look at dodge being dependent upon the ability to move OR using a combination of speed and obstructions to deny an opponent a clear or easy shot. In other words, a character who isn't moving, isn't dodging.

Another way to say it would be that I view dodging as "built into" movement.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Depends on if you want to count moving as an action that imposes MAPs, I guess.

But, I look at dodge being dependent upon the ability to move OR using a combination of speed and obstructions to deny an opponent a clear or easy shot. In other words, a character who isn't moving, isn't dodging.

Another way to say it would be that I view dodging as "built into" movement.

RAW, "cautious movement" (up to half your Move score in meters) is a free action in Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate terrains. (This is drawn from pages 101 to 103 of R&E)

Very Easy terrain is flat, clear, ground with no obstacles. A starport, or a Death Star corridor. There may be cover, but it's large enough to not count as an obstacle unless you're intentionally going over it. This would also be fighting on the skiffs and roof of the sail barge in ROTJ.

Easy is flat but uneven. A park, or fields. I'd count this as the scene in TPM where Qui-gonn first encounters Maul, on the sands of Tattooine, or perhaps the arena floor in AOTC... fairly natural ground, with minimal stuff on the ground (until the bodies start piling up).

Moderate terrain is rough ground, or any area with many obstacles... holes, rocks, thickets, bushes. Here, we'd be looking at Endor... a forest where most of trees are big, and the forest floor is fairly clear... not flat and empty, so there'll be branches, bushes, and roots, but also not the mess that is the flat places in somewhere like Dagobah.

Given this, a human (move 10) can move about 5 meters as part of a Dodge (or over the course of a round) without receiving MAPs for the movement. If I move 5 meters (about 13.5 feet), I probably have a lot of options for places to take cover, especially in Easy or Moderate terrain. In places like the Death Star (which I think we can agree is mostly Very Easy terrain, with some exceptions), there may be cover like the buttresses along the wall, or a pile of boxes in a hangar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 17 of 24

Jump to: