The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Personal shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Personal shields Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rules for that one scott... I like. Though i could see modding the roll, to 1, reroll, if a 1-2 fails perm, otherwise just no working, 2-3 no working but just for this time. 4-5 grants 1d protection, 6 grants 2d protection.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works in your game! I considered a lot of alternative ways to work the shield before settling on the one that worked best in my game.

One way to work shield generators and keep them balanced in the game is instead of being random, if they have a set amount of charge. Each hit takes away from the charge depending on the power setting of the generator. IE: The generator has 16D worth of power. A dial on the side goes from 0 - 4. If set to 4, each hit the PC receives is lessened by 4D, which subtracts 4D from it's power, leaving only 12D. when all the power is gone, the device is useless (or it must be recharged in a difficult manner).

Another way I thought of was to have the shield only protect against specific kinds of damage, which the user could set via controls on the device. The device would completely block all damage of a single type, but nothing else. With this method, the device had a random (3D) number of charges until it was rendered inert. Possible damage types were electricity (shock weapons), blaster kill, blaster stun, kinetic (melee damage, slugthrowers, arrows ect) and heat (laser, thermal detonator, flamethrower, ect) though you could easily add more.

There were others I thought of but I can't remember tham right now.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, scott.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when all the power is gone, the device is useless (or it must be recharged in a difficult manner).

Yeah, this isn't a bad idea. If you wanted to make it a little easier, you could always set them up to be recharged off of blaster packs. 1 pack = a full recharge, or it could take 4 packs for a full charge. (That would make it cost more without making it uber hard to recharge. It'd be a mite inconvenient, having to swap packs like that, so it'd be impractical in combat, but that's the price you pay for having a personal shield on...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: