The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force point with multiple actions..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force point with multiple actions..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Force point with multiple actions.. Reply with quote

When using a force point with multiple actions do you subtract for multiple actions first or do you double it then subtract? Any quoted West End Games sources would help.
john brewer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote: "A player may spend one Force Point in a round; all skills, attributes and special ability die codes are doubled for the rest of that round" (R&E, p. 84).

Sounds to me like you double the score. Then subtract for actions. At least that's how I read it.

John
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Double, then subtract.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has always done the Double-Then Subtract. And we've doubled the amount of allowed actions as well (This started out as a cemamatic thing for Crunch, and became a house rule.).

Gets really insane when Oota uses one for his... 7D or 8D (I forget which) of Blaster skill. Which makes for 8 Actions at a 12D or 14D.

Then goes "John Woo" Blasters Akimbo style, gets two shots per action at -1D to the Primary Hand and -2D for the Off Hand. 8 Shots at 11D or 13D and 8 Shots at 10D or 12D.

With T-6 Thunderer Heavy Blaster Pistols. "The Most Powerful Hand Blasters In The Galaxy".

Before you ask, no, he isn't a Munchkin, just a really, really, *REALLY* experienced PC with a love of carnage. Oldest PC in the group, and the second one made by his Player (The first character sheet had been lost by the GM after one game.).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we had this discussion a little while ago (or maybe it was on another board), but the R&E states that you apply all die penalties after you doubble.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
My group has always done the Double-Then Subtract. And we've doubled the amount of allowed actions as well (This started out as a cemamatic thing for Crunch, and became a house rule.).

Gets really insane when Oota uses one for his... 7D or 8D (I forget which) of Blaster skill. Which makes for 8 Actions at a 12D or 14D.

Then goes "John Woo" Blasters Akimbo style, gets two shots per action at -1D to the Primary Hand and -2D for the Off Hand. 8 Shots at 11D or 13D and 8 Shots at 10D or 12D.

Yeah, we had a guy in my gaming group who played a gunslinger and did a similar kind of thing when the group got ambushed by a squad of stormtroopers. The GM's jaw hit the floor when he uttered the words: "I spend a Force point." Twisted Evil
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? My group used to do subtract die penalties, then double. I'm not sure why. But I guess it just seemed ok to me at the time. Although subtracting afterwards makes for much more potent use of the force, with possibilities for some very amazing stuff to happen.

I may try it that way. And we'll see which works better for the group.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunch killed and wounded alot of Veteran Stormies under Force Point abilities.

With his bare hands. In his rage, he kinda forgot that he had his force pike on him. Embarassed
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always done double then subtract however any bonus for equipment (fire control on ship guns or scopes on blasters) are not doubled and come in after subtractions.

Yeah I woked out that my Esoomian character (10D brawl 7D strength) has a dice pool of 20D when spending a force point and does 14D damage.

Fortunately it's never come up as something I've needed
Trask
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. You don't double penalties for multiple actions, you don't double penalties for armour or wounds or the like, but likewise you don't double bonuses, be they for fire control, maneuverability or damage (a STR+2D vibroknife remains STR+2D, just STR is now doubled)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been under one gm who did it differently, but the others (as well as me) double the skill THEN take off for MAPS and wounds.

That other Gm did it strange.. Start out with doubling the base skill, then after the SECOND action start to apply MAPS, at the following rate..
Frst action = full
Second action = full
third action = -2d
Forth action = -2d
Fifth action = -3d
Sixth action = -3d
Seventh action and so on....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: