The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

LS combat's bonuses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> LS combat's bonuses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: LS combat's bonuses. Reply with quote

It seems a lot of the problems people have with lightsaber combat, is the high bonuses it gives to jedi when they get in the 5d region.
But remember, using the force is an action, just as is shooting or dodging.

So lets take John jedi. he has 6d in his lightsaber skill, 5d in control and 5d in sense. He is only activating LS combat and making 1 attack this round. No one is shooting him (the gm randomly rolled for it), so he needs not make any dodges or parries.
He is taking a total of 3 actions (1 control roll, 1 sense roll and 1 attack). This gives him -2d to all actions. So Lightsaber skill drops from 6d to 4d. AND his control/sense each drop from 5d to 3d...
So net effect, is he goes up 1D for his damage and to hit pool....
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: problems with ls combat Reply with quote

Quote:
So net effect, is he goes up 1D for his damage and to hit pool....

Even in the terrible (my opinion) R&E rules on multiple action penalties for force skills, I think he's still getting a +3D to damage. You don't actually lower the base damage of the lightsaber as well, do you?
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly looking at the 2nd Edition R&E (and more specificly at the example of lightsaber combat), considering only lightsaber combat active and one attack (so 3 actions), the totals (modified by multiple actions = -2D) are :

skill = lightsaber + sense (minus multiple actions) = 6D + 5D - 2D = 9D
damage = 5D+/- control (minus multiple actions) = 5D +/- (5D-2D) = 5D +/- 3D (from 2D to 8D damage)

But if I remerber correctly, that was not like that in 2nd Ed :
skill = lightsaber + sense (minus multiple actions) = 6D + 5D - 2D = 9D
damage = 5D+/- control (not modified by M.A.) = 5D +/- 5D (from 0D to 10D damage)

And I think that it should be the same in 2nd R&E since the book also says "[...] add your sense dice to lightsaber skill and add or substract control dice to lightsaber damage" (and so I think there is an arror in the example in 2nd Ed R&E)

Let me explain why (IMO).

I agree that Force skills are modified by multiple actions. But damage is never modified (for example brawling damage is not modified by multiple actions).

Moreover here, we add the skills dice codes to hit and to damage, not the effective skills (in my opinion dice code is not the same that effective skill value : it is not modified by multiple actions. It is just what is listed on your character sheet)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is what i am disagreeing with, and think it should be the other way. And to entropy, no his base damage with the LS does not drop, . I made a mistake tere... thanks for catching it.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people already complain that Jedi are too powerful in combat because of the damage they can do with the LS. I've never had a problem with applying the MAP to control bonus to the lightsaber's damage. (Otherwise, in my opinion, it gets excessive, and some of the other non-jedi players end up frustrated also)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger problem for this Jedi is, with MAP, his control and sense are down 2D each before making the role to raise lightsaber combat. It is going to be tricky to make that difficulty 15 on the control roll to raise the Lightsaber Combat. Hope he has CP handy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: