The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Old Republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Old Republic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is in fact a fan made ebook for the Old Republic. I recently posted a copy in the tools forum under the Kotor thread. That might help in recreating a republic campaign. I know it uses a lot of details, stills, and imagery from the Kotor game. It may need some modification, but I hope it helps.

As for the Technological advancement debate, I would only like to point out that any advancement is not so simple as just improving one detail, not when you are talking about mechanical constructs and devices as advanced as what appears in Star Wars. Both sides have made valid points, but the most valid point is the limits of materials and physics, which is why technology has reached an overall standstill in the SW univers. From the point of the trilogy, x0.5 Hyperdrives are considered experimental, tempermental, and dangerous, and are the most recent available, previously it was x1, which were only common on military grade ships of the republic. Even making small adjustments to a blaster's plasma couplers, or capacitors may generate unforseen effects that can damage the firing mechanisms, cause malfunctions, etc, because the materials can't handle it. It needs a breakthrough of Materials as well as energy conservation, electronics, physics, and a number of other fields. Even with expanding technology and explosive scientific growth you reach a point where the limits of the technology and materials at hand are reached, and development slows down. I feel quite comfortable with seeing that in the SW universe they may have reached such a point. Sure there are small advances here and there, but nothing big. Another contributor is arrogance and lethargy. The society has become so comfortable with the way things are, they are perfectly willing to accept there is no need to develop something new. There are a number of other factors, socialogical, economical, scientific, that effect the advances of culture and science, and far too many too trivialize in a galaxy of a thousand thousand worlds by simply comparing them to one world that we live on.
In the end, each GM has final say in the game they run. Any GM can introduce any technology. I often introduce rare technology or different technology on some outer rim world...and you can bet when the empire comes and they resist they will be purged (oops, technological advancements lost to the ages).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: