The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Deus Ex Machina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Deus Ex Machina Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:
"Ah'm givin' her all she's got sir, but if ah give 'er any more she's gonna explode! Ah tried shovin' a weiner in the warp drive mechanism but it didn't do a wee bit a' good...

By the way, would ya happen to have a wee bit a' mustard on the bridge?"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Smirk: "Schlok?"

Schlok: "No mustard, Captain."

Someone used to listen to Dr. Demento, it seems. Wink

Grimace, my brother! 8)

Smirk: "Analysis, Schlock?"

Schlock: "It seems Lieutenant Snot is about to eat a weiner without mustard, Captain."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Hope this helps Reply with quote

I have been in similar conditions, from both sides. As a player, the GM would use his "NPC" (that he would play when someone else GMed) to save us. I stopped him from doing that by "attempting to kill the NPC off every time I could. The only drawback was I had to make new PCs on a regular basis. Being killed, falling to the Dark Side, party attacking my, etc. Even after me & the GM talked about it (he was dense, even as a player). I as a player do not like the limelight stolen from me.

As a GM, I have had players try not to solve their own problems by having someone else solve them for them. Example: they would not fight an opponent at all unless they knew for a fact that they could not be beaten. A lot of times they would try to get someone else (NPC) to do this for them. Solution: reduced XP or NO XP if they got someone else to do it for them.

But for your problem this is what I suggest. TALK TO YOUR GM ABOUT IT. If he (or she ) is reasonable then taking about it should work. If not, start killing the NPC (be ready to make another character just in case). I even used character points, sometimes force points to do so. But I say Talk to your GM. If you tell him you are not happy about something he's doing in the game, he should listen. Most GMs listen to their players and those that do not lose a lot of players.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hope this helps Reply with quote

Chabit Rane wrote:
I have been in similar conditions, from both sides. As a player, the GM would use his "NPC" (that he would play when someone else GMed) to save us. I stopped him from doing that by "attempting to kill the NPC off every time I could. The only drawback was I had to make new PCs on a regular basis. Being killed, falling to the Dark Side, party attacking my, etc. Even after me & the GM talked about it (he was dense, even as a player). I as a player do not like the limelight stolen from me.

As a GM, I have had players try not to solve their own problems by having someone else solve them for them. Example: they would not fight an opponent at all unless they knew for a fact that they could not be beaten. A lot of times they would try to get someone else (NPC) to do this for them. Solution: reduced XP or NO XP if they got someone else to do it for them.

But for your problem this is what I suggest. TALK TO YOUR GM ABOUT IT. If he (or she ) is reasonable then taking about it should work. If not, start killing the NPC (be ready to make another character just in case). I even used character points, sometimes force points to do so. But I say Talk to your GM. If you tell him you are not happy about something he's doing in the game, he should listen. Most GMs listen to their players and those that do not lose a lot of players.

That's the crux of it. Just hope that you get a GM you CAN talk to, rather than one who wants it HIS way every time. Get one of those, you need to start looking for another group right away. Chances are his players have been cowed into letting him have his way all the time. Maybe he bribes them by making sure their characters get plenty of shiny new items they haven't earned, but it isn't worth it. Far better to have to work to get the stuff and have a reasonable GM.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks J.Skyler. And a good thing for a GM is this: LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYERS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the idea of the party ganging up on the GM's NPC and vaping him. If he's big and bad enough to wipe out the whole party, then that NPC should be running with a more advanced group.

If he's that big and bad, the group should lay plans to obtain high explosives, get the NPC in the middle of them and then set them off. You won't be able to keep the procurement of such items from the GM, but if you're issued them as part of the adventure you can then just use them at your discretion. The GM can know WHAT you're getting as long as he doesn't know what you're DOING with it. Give him no chance of survival. If nothing else, have your Jedi character go up behind him and run him through with his lightsaber. Automatic DSP for sure- UNLESS your GM wakes up at that point and listens to reason. Be sure to explain why you did that- DSPs are a HUGE deal for Jedi characters. They normally aren't willing to risk getting them knowingly. If that doesn't get the GM's attention, it's time to find a new GM.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on that. Finding a good GM is sometimes the hardest thing to do in any RPG. GMing is more than knowing the rules and enforcing them. Its about fun and being fair to the players as a whole. If you cannot have fun, why play?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The GM is also a storyteller. If he can't keep the action flowing, and in an entertaining way, then someone needs to either help or replace him.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my players help me all the time. Half of the time my players end up creating the adventure themselves (instead of me). Just point them in a general direction and watch the fur fly. They motivate the adventure and sometimes even create the next one too.

But take heart, freedom allowed, the game will be at good and at best remembered for years.

Idea: Have a forum of how characters have died in embarassing ways? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there's a thread that's kinda about that. It's here...http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

Go check it out and add yours!
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hardest thing to do in any RPG is not finding a good GM, it's BEING a good GM.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. You need to make sure you're impartial, period. Even if you're playing with your best friends in the world, in the end the dice determine the fate, NOT the GM's personal preferences. If you can do that and you're even halfway creative, but willing to put the time into research and preparation, you'll make a great GM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: