The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can this work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Can this work Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but tracking through hyperspace (something the Alliance can do as well) isn't so much tracking their current progress through hyperspace as it is taking their exit vector data and extrapolating a series of possible endpoints.

For my own ideas concerning this concept, I was thinking along the lines of using this type of weapon in-system, having the projectile making only a microjump to reach a target. It might be possible to have a ship in one area of space launch a hyper-capable weapon at a vessel in another section of space through the use of a spotter ship, although both would need hypercomms, and the delivery would be MUCH more complicated. Better to have the weapon make a microjump from the outside of the system to a target somewhere insystem; the launching vessel could then theoretically escape quite easily if their attack fails.

I see this idea overall as a very expensive, hard to bring off exercise, but one that has merit nonetheless. It's something that could be done as a desperation move- something that isn't a part of standard warfare, but is a trick that is out there for use on occasion. I personally see it more as a trick up the Rebellion's sleeve, as they have more need of such desperate measures; but that's just my opinion. Others think it'd be an Empire move, as it would be costly. I don't see the debate ever reaching a settlement, but that's fine. It's all theoretical anyway, and therefore subject to interpretation. If, however, someone ever actually works out the stats and limitations for such a device, I'd love for them to post a copy here. There've been a number of good suggestions posted already. I do think that if anyone chooses to use such a device, it ought to be a very rare thing and should NEVER be manufactured in any sort of quantities, other than perhaps several at a time for ONE mission at a time.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a Kilrathi hunter-seeker missile (from a different sci-fi story). Is that what you're thinking of?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hunter seeker had a cloaking device.

They are talking about a hyperdrive, to bypass shields or planetary defenses.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chabit Rane wrote:
Yes a warhead Boomer would be very appropriate but allmost impossible to get. Not only that, very unheroic. Being a hero is the point of the game. If any PC (including mine) used a warhead style weapon the fun of the game is lost. Including character developement. Not to mention the price of the warhead. The Alliance did not use them (to my knowledge anyways) because it symbolized what the Empire would do.

Picture an Alliance Starfighter using one of these things. Its cheaper, but more life threatening to the pilot. I would only allow one shot, maybe two, per launcher. Reduce the range as well, say only 75%. All the while having to dodge fighters and the targets gunners. If the pilot made it, it would be a heroic feat. And the opponent would possibly be crippled.

All that for somewhere around 20,000 cr. only.

That plus, the rebel allaince would soon be low on capital ships, if the empire started using this tactic BACK against them....

Quote:
For my own ideas concerning this concept, I was thinking along the lines of using this type of weapon in-system, having the projectile making only a microjump to reach a target. It might be possible to have a ship in one area of space launch a hyper-capable weapon at a vessel in another section of space through the use of a spotter ship, although both would need hypercomms, and the delivery would be MUCH more complicated. Better to have the weapon make a microjump from the outside of the system to a target somewhere insystem; the launching vessel could then theoretically escape quite easily if their attack fails.

Actually, the best use i could see for something like this, was for planetary defense... You mine space around your planet, and the suystem itself, leaving only 2-3 ways in. This limits the attacking vectors for those wishing to take your planet. THEN you have spotters out, feading co-ordinates of the attackers, and prime a missile or two, for each ship, to hit it at a predesigned point (after testing it a few dozen times to know how long it will take the hyper-missile' to get there...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you could counter the mine field by sending in starfighters to clear them out. Then you'd be toast if you were seriously relying on it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the type of mines... Cannot remember their stats, but in one game we had, there were these mines (around 50m), that had an Ion burst in one arc out to 15 hexes further than any starfighter weapon (though at that range they were only 1d cap damage)..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: