The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

STAR WARS Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> STAR WARS Galaxies: An Empire Divided Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you play SW Galaxies?
YES - I have played from Day 1 (and lived through the updates)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
YES - Now that NGE has gone live, its the SW MMO I have wanted
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
NO - I used to play it but the new update, NGE, spoiled it for me
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
NO - I have no interest in playing this game (for whatever reason)
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 24

Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: STAR WARS Galaxies: An Empire Divided Reply with quote

Okay, I might get myself in trouble with both Loc and the rest of you, but I wanted to run a small poll for those of you that have played STAR WARS Galaxies: An Empire Divided. I'm not sure if talking about this game is considered blasphemy by some or not. Wink It can't be any worse than discussing D20 *Gasp!* Now I've gone and crossed the line... Laughing

In seriousness though, please vote when you have a moment as I'm curious how hardcore RPG'ers view the game. I personally picked option #2 - I have had interest in the game from its initial release, but the game as described to me (from friends, reading reviews, etc.) just never sounded like it quite fit the STAR WARS universe as I imagined it until the release of NGE (New Game Enhancements). But now that the NGE has gone live, I have found new interest in it; enough that I actually installed the game and am playing the game. So far, it seems like the STAR WARS MMO (massive multiplayer online) game I have been hoping and waiting for. Very Happy Yes, I'm sure there are areas needing improvement, but gosh, it's fun! I'm having a blast so far!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's one option missing, which is the one I'd tick. That is:

NO - I have interest in the game and would have liked to play it, but paying a monthly fee (in dollars) to play a game is just not feasible.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked no, and the reason being is that I have yet to hear a truly good thing about this game.
Yes, it is Star Wars, Star Wars is good.

But it still uses a bizzarre game system, holding too stringently to Everquest MMO conventions.

It also has a problem with rendering and character customizations. There is an endless amount of character customizing, which the game takes forever to load when there is a large group of people.
Not that loading all of that detail does any good, because everyone is covered up in the same, identity squashing blech tan colored armor. It makes everyone look the same.

This I hear from people who have played it, and still play it.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, monthly fees aren't my favorite. Now when Empire at War comes out......well, let's just say I already have a copy reserved with my name on it.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, personally, I hold the same opinion of Star Wars Galaxies I hold toward all the other dollar sucking, online, cult-like games:
I refuse to buy a game for $20-$40 a pop, and then pay a monthly membership fee of $10-$20 just for the privelage of playing. I think this is the worst form of capitalism and corporate greed ever. I liked the good old days when Star Craft and War Craft included FREE battlenet access. Sure, the servers cost money to run, sure a nominal fee might be justified, but given that the fees are, in my opinion, over inflated and the game is essentially dependant on server access, it is nothing more than a scam to milk more money from honest gamers.

I would have considered playing otherwise.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love pen-and-paper rpg so much. It's probably the cheapest hobby in the world. Really! Think about it, all you need is a couple of books, some dice, pens and papers and you're all set for literally decades-worth of fun gaming! It's no wonder the RPG industry is always going bankrupt, it's just too damn cheap! Bless them! A single video game (just the game, not the console or pc to play it on) costs about as much as you'll ever spend on RPG material for a single system. And a video game will only last so long, you usually get tired of it after a couple of months and will only revisit it awfully sparsely. Now I've been gaming for a decade with my three or four SW books and it's still damn fresh and entertaining.

Thank god for rpg, most cost-effective hobby in the world.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/371943938/470015195rzzaVu

PS: Of course I'm not figuring the cost of coke and pizzas into this, otherwise it would be a whole different story.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I believe there's one option missing, which is the one I'd tick. That is:

NO - I have interest in the game and would have liked to play it, but paying a monthly fee (in dollars) to play a game is just not feasible.

Sing it, Gry!!!

(BTW- Loved the pic! Hilarious!!!)
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's why I posted this - to see how "old school RPG'ers" viewed it.

I understand the view on pay-to-play costs; I used to also hold a very strong personal opinion against this as well. Yes, there are the issues with bandwidth, rental fee (that's what happens essential - you pay rent for storing your virtual character), hardware upkeep, etc. but aside that there are the arguments of it's like spending on other forms of entertainment each month as a comparison. Why does someone play a monthly fee for a phone or <insert item here>? Simply put - they choose too.

I think the appeal is that a MMO brings (or trying to) the social gathering to a digital age - and age, sex, time of day, geography isn't a restriction - the internet is always "on". Playing multiple times a week "live" isn't feasible for me anymore, but I can get my RPG kick from playing SWG (it is STAR WARS - huge bonus that covers up flaws in my eyes Laughing ) or another MMO at the time I choose to, after the family is in bed, and not feel obligated to pack up my stuff, drive somewhere at a late hour at night to play for a couple of hours, then to turn around and come back home... well, that's more true for my situation than others. Smile

I don't usually play MMO's (I did try out City of Heroes for a short time - got to love playing as a completely customizable superhero, protecting the innocent) and only am giving SWG a try seeing if all the hyped changes are worth while or not. Thank you for the responses either way you view it. And I agree - that picture linked to is hilarious! (And partly true in my case too... Embarassed Laughing )
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleet Admiral Gry Sarth said it best.

In addition, I'd like to add that while a graphic interactive roleplaying game is a dream come true, the reality falls a bit short. I never did like the detached interaction. Too impersonal after a lifetime of traditional roleplaying. I've recently begun PbEM and found that rewarding also. It retains the traditional feel, and still allows me to keep up with work and home.

Oh well, if someone wants to spend $20 / month to play who am I to stop them? I'll just keep doing this sort of thing. 8)
DarthMustard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played SWG from a month after release. I was also in beta (for what good that was).

As soon as the NGE hit I left. To me, it was a half-baked FPS system. They had many things they updated that were fine but the combat and that over the shoulder cursor thing is junk.
Not to mention I don't particularly care for the fact that anyone can be a jedi. Heck, I had an issue with anyone being a jedi at all in the timeline.
It drew in the money from the players though so of course *Pfft* SOE/LA went with it.

I'm a dedicated MMORPG player. I love them if they have the things I like in them. SWG had it all up until the NGE. Now I'm a refugee. Sad

Well maybe not so much since I did restart up my D6 SW game. Yay! I'll have a truckload more fun with the books anyhow.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote isn't entirely true, as I've never played the game, infact I've never heard of it.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option that applied to me also wasn't available. So I picked option #3. In truth... I used to play SWG for a while but quit before NGE was released. I haven't really played NGE to have an opinion about it specifically, but I'm afraid that it won't fix the damage done by the earlier installments.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
themuffinman1201
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit once I saw jedi running around mos eisley...tired of the fee and the horrible interpretation of the star wars universe...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even vote, because I've never played it, but it was never available to me as an option. I don't have the money to buy the game, let alone the monthly fee, so it's really a moot point.

Don't get me wrong; I'd LOVE the opportunity to go traipsing around the SW universe, interacting with other people in this setting, and have whatever kind of character I want. I'm a visually-oriented person, so having that extra dimension playing out in front of me... But I certainly don't like the idea of the monthly fees. That's a real turn-off.
Zerin Caldorna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear, when Galaxies first came out, it was a great game with a rather steep learning curve. Then they released some patch that really dumbed the game down and thats what ruined it.
One of the guys I RP with used to play and he's always ranting about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: