The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial Arts Styles!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Martial Arts Styles!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Martial Arts Styles! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I wanted to start a post here for us to create "styles" for the optional rules in the Rebel SpecForce Handbook. Feel free to discuss and post your ideas for styles here, for my part I plan to work on Teras Kasi, basing it both on the d20 and on Star Wars Galaxies... I'll post my ideas when I get them written up, and you guys give me suggestions or post your favorite styles Smile

Edit: IF you really like a real world style, create it but rename it to be star warsy... for example... maybe Praying Mantis Style Kung Fu might be Genosian Martial Arts or something like that...
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
blackjack
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here's spark's spec op's rules thought you might like it

Special Skill Rules – SpecForce Martial Arts: To help maintain game balance within the Sparks campaign the rules governing the SpecForce Martial Arts skill have been changed. First we have split the SpecForce Martial Arts skill into two separate skills, one for offense the other for defense. The offensive skill will remain a specialization under Brawling where the defensive skill will become a specialization under Brawling Parry and will be called SpecForce Martial Arts Parry. Due to this split the possible techniques that can be learned have also been split between offensive and defensive styles (see list below). Secondly the character being trained must learn the “basic” techniques before others can be learned. For the offensive skill the character must learn Punch (Very Easy difficulty; inflicts Strength + 1D damage) and Kick (Easy difficulty; inflicts Strength + 2D damage). For the defensive skill the character must learn Weapon Block (as outlined in Rules of Engagement book). The general rules for learning techniques still apply. The character learns one technique for each full die code SpecForce Martial Arts (or Parry) is raised above the Brawling (or Parry) skill. The third change involves the learning of these skills. Both the offensive and defensive specializations are learned at the same time as if they were one skill. But due to the unique nature of this skill and the training required, player characters can no longer train other characters. This skill must be learned from an NPC at a seminar or interactive. Also before they receive this training the character must enlist in the Rebel military service (characters whom already know this skill will not have it removed). These focused techniques are then only shared with other members of the Rebel military ranks.

Offensive Techniques
Disarm – Moderate: disarms the target character.
Elbow Smash – Very Easy: adds +1D to damage roll.
Flying Kick – Difficult: adds +2D to damage roll and incorporates one move action; failure means you are off balance and your opponent gets a free attack at no additional multiple action penalty.
Foot Sweep – Moderate: trips opponent, which must remain prone for the remainder of the round.
Hold/Grapple – Moderate: grapples the opponent; every round the character must make an opposed Strength roll to continue to grapple opponent.
Instant Knockdown – Moderate: knocks target down; to stand the target must wait one round or suffer multiple action penalties.
Instant Stun – Moderate: stuns target for one round.
Instant Wound – Difficult: causes a wound to the target.
Kick (required second) – Easy: adds +2D to damage roll.
Multiple Strikes – Moderate: make a second attack that deals 3D damage with no multiple action penalties.
Nerve Punch – Very Difficult: renders an opponents limb (arm or leg, specified prior to the attempt) unusable for 3D rounds; any item held in the limb is dropped; if the target difficulty is exceeded by 15, then the opponent is rendered unconscious.
Punch (required first) – Very Easy: adds +1D to damage roll.
Silent Strike – Difficult: the character must be within arms reach of the target and remain undetected; the character can instantly kill or render unconscious (character’s choice) their opponent.
Spinning Kick – Moderate: adds +1D to damage roll; reduces targets defensive roll by 5; failure means you are off balance and your opponent gets a free attack at no additional multiple action penalty.
Shoulder Throw – Moderate: hurls target to the ground causing 3D damage.

Defensive Techniques
Blindfighting – Very Difficult: (reaction) character ignores the effects of blindness.
Flip – Moderate: (reaction) hurls target to the ground causing 3D damage.
Headbutt – Easy: (reaction) inflicts Str + 1D damage and can be used if bound or held.
Instant Stand – Moderate: return to a standing position after being tripped or knocked down without suffering any multiple action penalties.
Power Block – Moderate: (reaction) successful parry inflicts Str + 1D on target.
Reversal – Opposed Strength or Martial Arts roll: (reaction) breaks targets hold and character can employ a hold/grapple or other technique without multiple action penalties.
Weapon-block (required first) – Opposed Martial Arts vs. Melee Combat: blocks a melee attack; negates melee weapon to unarmed combat bonus.
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... not bad, although I more am looking for styles that will limit the number of moves you learn based on a theme, unless you want to pay extra for moves out of your chosen style.
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
blackjack
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i thought you might like it . it's from a group called sparkforce ,and i do find that i do like it but as for coming up with new one's im kind of lost on that one i could try and come up with new names and group these skills to gether
i do know that there was talk of taking some skilles like Instant Stun /Instant Wound/ Nerve Punch/ Silent Strike, and make it so you have to make a knowledge alien species role to hit the right spot or it would faile but that was a thought they had .
by for now
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack wrote:
ok i thought you might like it . it's from a group called sparkforce ,and i do find that i do like it but as for coming up with new one's im kind of lost on that one i could try and come up with new names and group these skills to gether
i do know that there was talk of taking some skilles like Instant Stun /Instant Wound/ Nerve Punch/ Silent Strike, and make it so you have to make a knowledge alien species role to hit the right spot or it would faile but that was a thought they had .
by for now

Yes, it's interesting rules variation, although I think the current rules just limiting by style would suffice. I'll show you what I mean when I finish writing up my version of the Teras Kasi... basically if you have the WotC hero's guide you can look up their styles (all of which are just "feats" making up styles from the novels... I don't think they actually created any of them.) and easily see what "tecniques" to use...

Also, that "knowledge alien species" roll isn't a bad idea... Although most species would be similar enough, I'd say maybe easy for most, harder for some...

To "one up" that idea, maybe allow a "moderate" alien species roll to maybe add an extra die of stun damage to your attack, like for example if you are attacking a twi'lek, you might roll and then be allowed to attack their lekku (head-tails) for extreme pain, as traditionally, the lekku are erogenous zones, so they end up being a much bigger target for a "crotch kick" effect.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the martial arts rules I use. I didn't create them...a guy on SWRPG made them and gave me permission to post it on my personal forum so I don't think he'll mind if I post it here.

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3I85GGU7JBG3L06OKK949SCT6L
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
Here are the martial arts rules I use. I didn't create them...a guy on SWRPG made them and gave me permission to post it on my personal forum so I don't think he'll mind if I post it here.

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3I85GGU7JBG3L06OKK949SCT6L

Ok, cool. Thanks. You might make sure that the file credits him and links to his website, then ask him if he minds full distribution with the credits. He shouldn't mind, as long as he's credited, to support his fellow West End fans, but it's always best to be sure.

EDIT: Ok, downloaded it and gave just the first half page a look over, and I kinda like what I saw... Don't have time right now for a full read, but the treatment of it as an advanced skill might be a good way in some campaigns. I'll try to finish up my Teras Kasi write up sometime this weekend or early in the week and get it posted.
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jen'tara Rhee I'll try to finish up my Teras Kasi write up sometime this weekend or early in the week and get it posted.[/quote]

Not sure why I didn't get it done that weekend, but right now... I'm not too inclined to care. I was a creature handler on SWG, you see. Luckily I wasn't playing at the time of release of the new expansion due to finanicial reasons, or I'd be screaming to the Better Business Bureau like all the other CH that bought that expansion...

For those that don't know, they released an expansion November 1st that added a bunch of new content for Creature Handlers (among other things, but it has a LOT of creature handler content... every CH almost bought it, with the idea of "Finally! The love and appreciation we have always wanted... an expansion almost totally for us!!!") then the very next day. After all the credit cards were charged... the "new iconic professions" were announced. On November 15th, they are completely redoing Star Wars Galaxies to be more like Battlefront. There was a profession missing. Creature Handlers. When asked, the developers said, "Yes, creature handlers only make up 1% of the population, they are being removed, as they are not Star-Warsy".

That 1% thing is a lie, previous "astromech" reports put us a lot higher, and the release of an expansion like ToOW should have increased that number... not dropped it to 1%.

I wouldn't be mad at LucasArts and Star Wars in general, if I didn't know how very much of a controlling interest LA has in SWG. SOE isn't doing this alone. LA is very much a driving force behind it. It might not be ALL them... but it's definitely not ALL Sony.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a definite problem that I've come by in the past. Having to use the brawling parry skill and the specialization for martial arts under it. Having to raise two skills.... I like the adaptation, though I tend to have specific flow for how you can aquire skills:

Instant knock down
Instant stun
Instant wound
Multiple Strikes or silent strike

for instance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i know sparks has it, where you can only get a skill every FULL dice you get over your base brawl, in the RSFMA. And you have some order. You have to learn punch, then kick. After that you are free to pick what you will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: