The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TK and grenades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> TK and grenades. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that one is a heck of a lot different from what we see in the games...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue that... I was just showing where there was a literary precedent for it. As has been discussed elsewhere, personal shields of that nature are indeed very temporary; they're meant to get you out of a scrape when you've either been surprised or forced into a situation where you're severely outnumbered. Kinda like a holdout blaster; it's almost more a desperation move than a normal piece of battle attire.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be very difficult to create a Kyle-Katarn style personal shield, the technology has been around since the days of the Sith War. The key problem would be expense. You're pretty much carrying around a portable deflector shield. If Droidekas can do it, for personal combatants it's not much of a stretch.

The reason why your average soldier wouldn't carry it around is expense an impractability. I'd say it would work for 10 minutes per battery pack ( Hence why katarn always needs to go rooting around for them) and that the base generator would cost you upwards of 40,000-60,000. This coupled with the fact that any piece of battlefield artillery would simply blast it to pieces, makes it impractical for normal military applications. A mercenary or bounty hunter unusually interested in his own protection would be able to take it of course.

I'd give it these stats

Personal Shield generator
+1D to STR, Energy
Ammunition: 10 minutes per powerpack
Any hit reduces the duration of the current powerpack by 2 minutes. Any damage that successfully acheives a wounded result drains the shield generator of power.
Activation: Activating the generator is a standard action, and can declared as a reflex action, as dodge. Turning on the generator requires an Easy Shields check.
Reloading: Reloading the generator with a powerpack is an action that requires an Easy Shields check.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being an easier thing for the Droidekas to have them since they already have a power source built-in. Much easier than having an external power source strapped to you somewhere.

As for the stats... I am wondering if a bit of lightsaber technology could be added in here. As long as the shield sustains no hits, could the energy expended be collected and recycled in a similar manner to the lightsaber blade? It would extend the life of the shield, but any hits scored would reduce the life as already determined.

Thoughts, anyone?
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough about the generator. The reason why the shield life is so small is so that you don't need a huge generator. I suppose a merc could carry around a huge pack to get the Droideka effect and big shielding bonues. Not like most of them don't do it already anyway.

As to the lightsaber technology thing, absolutely not. They would have incorporated that into normal capital ship shields if that were possible. Combat shields eat a serious amount of energy, that is why only planetary generators are capable of sustaining them full time. I suppose you could explain that''s how Kyle Katarn's worked, but a sustained shield generator is out of keeping with SW in general.

Keep in mind the shield generator doesn't allow you to parry lightsabers, since it doesn't mould around a weapon or hand like Star Trek shields. Then again, I suppose you could technically say you ARE parrying lightsabers, that's sort of where the 1D protection is coming from.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder then about the stats on the force dome on Drongar in the novel "MedStar II: Jedi Healer." It says in there that the force dome protecting the Rimsoo from the indigenous airborne spores uses crystals just like the ones in a lightsaber, although much larger. I know it's not a defense dome, and allows air and rain to pass through. But what are the limits on such a device, then?
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is really obscure. I haven't really read any of the prequal novels, so I wouldn't know.
And from the context, a weather shield is something very different from a ray shield. Particle shields go on every spacefaring vessel and are presumably not as advanced as ray shields.

Ray shields are only used in combat and block energy. Anything that has a rayshield usually throws in particle shields as part of the bargain. Kyle Katarn's shield, specifically did not block physical attacks. So you can imagine that particle shields are based on a different principle than ray shields.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: