The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion effects on cybernetics???!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Ion effects on cybernetics???!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Ion effects on cybernetics???! Reply with quote

Just running a possible senario in my mind, left me wondering what WOULD the impact be..

Basically the situation is this:

One of the players, has his character, with many cybernetics (6 cyber points worth iirc). A lobot attachment, something for memory enhancement and something else in the head.
Now, what would happen if say they are on a ship, and it trips off a ION Mine (like those from wraith squadron), that affects not only the ship, but everything powered INSIDE it?

1) would he get a roll to resist the damage based on HIS strength, or some given body for the implants?
2) what would the 'impact' to him be from each of the 'wound levels'... 1 control, 2 controls, 3 controls, shut down (ion damage).???
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that every piece of cybernetics would have a micro power cell... probably good for a VERY long time. I'd give the cybernetic limb a 2D Str to resist damage, since pretty much most ordinary objects have that level of strength to do that (like a blaster resisting damage). I'd rule that the limb would be anywhere from temporarily ionized for a few rounds (rendering the specific limb useless for that number of rounds) up to a "destroyed" result... in which case I might even say that the micro power cell had been overloaded and fused (rendering the limb useless until repaired), on the extreme end... depending on how much the damage roll beat the strength roll by.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add his strength to the body of the cybernetics to resist ion damage, sinc bioligcal forms inhibit and are unaffected by things like ionic and EMP pulses.

I also run ION and EMP like stun for electronics. His cybernetics would shut down or be rendered inoperable and all be considered dead weight on his form if a wounded result is made by the ion blast. Granted they can still recover from an ion blast... which I seem to have misplaced the rules for ion recovery.

But anyway, all benifits of those cybernetics, gone. And since it all hangs there, lifeless, he might even get a few penalties to having to lug around the weight of those tiems himself.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about cybernetics connected to the brain? Like many of those 'packages' from crakens threat dossier.. EG the slicers pack, the Johny mnemonic data storage pack, the lobot pack...?? Would anything happen to the brain of the chacter if they get shut down/fried??
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cyber was only ionized / shut down; there shouldn't be damage, as the electronic shut powers down (even if it was sudden.) But that still shouldn't affect the non-electronic tissue. If it were destroyed for a reason beyond baterry fried / unable to power up, perhaps damage could be caused by a malfunction of the unit; but that is severly conditional.

When a ship gets ionized, the characters inside it don't have to make soaks vs the ion blast, same situation in reverse for cybernetics; other that the character losing the use of the cyber, no big issue.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a character in a game who had a cybernetic foot get hit by an EMP/ion burst. I ran it a lot like Vanion suggested, counting the foot as having 2D resistance against ion damage. Against some other form of damage, I would probably have allowed the character the use of all his strength dice, but I figured for just a foot they probably don't have too many redundant systems making it more susceptible to this sort of damage. On a cybernetic replacement for a major organ, they'd probably have some sort of failsafe or more shock shielding to prevent damage from strong magnetic or electric fields, so in those cases I'd allow a full strength check as well (possibly even with a bonus). The effect was that his foot went 'unconscious' and gradually came back online, like when you sit on your leg funny and it goes numb. If it were a major organ going offline, I'd probably treat that as a mortal wound situation for the rest of the body.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
If the cyber was only ionized / shut down; there shouldn't be damage, as the electronic shut powers down (even if it was sudden.) But that still shouldn't affect the non-electronic tissue. If it were destroyed for a reason beyond baterry fried / unable to power up, perhaps damage could be caused by a malfunction of the unit; but that is severly conditional.

When a ship gets ionized, the characters inside it don't have to make soaks vs the ion blast, same situation in reverse for cybernetics; other that the character losing the use of the cyber, no big issue.

What about from a EMP, which IIRC fries the circuitry?

And i agree a regular ion blast does not affect the things inside the ship, but what about one of those ion mines (like the empion used in wraith squadron)...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion effects on cybernetics???! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just running a possible senario in my mind, left me wondering what WOULD the impact be..

Basically the situation is this:

One of the players, has his character, with many cybernetics (6 cyber points worth iirc). A lobot attachment, something for memory enhancement and something else in the head.
Now, what would happen if say they are on a ship, and it trips off a ION Mine (like those from wraith squadron), that affects not only the ship, but everything powered INSIDE it?

1) would he get a roll to resist the damage based on HIS strength, or some given body for the implants?

Yes, it would be a combination of his strength and the 2D of the Cyberwares strength I feel. Armor may or may not help, depending on the armor. I feel the Ion pulse of a wepon is too focused so it would only directly affect the cyberware in the location of the body that was hit.
Quote:
2) what would the 'impact' to him be from each of the 'wound levels'... 1 control, 2 controls, 3 controls, shut down (ion damage).???

I would say a 1-control ion result would reduce the effectiveness of the implants (if more than one implant in a location, then one becomes completely useless, the others aren't effected yet). Reduce the effectives bu 25%. On two controls the cyberware becomes 50% useless, or is half effect from ion damage (or 2 pieces in one body location are shut down). A shut down result would fry all of the cyberware in the locationhit until he could get to a cyberdoc and have the circuits reset or repaired.
Quote:
What about cybernetics connected to the brain? Like many of those 'packages' from crakens threat dossier.. EG the slicers pack, the Johny mnemonic data storage pack, the lobot pack...?? Would anything happen to the brain of the chacter if they get shut down/fried??

I would agree with others that this would only effect the cyberware, and the character would lose all benefits from such packages. However, given the way the Human brain works, and that it became used to the presence of such cyberware I could justify making a moderate to difficult willpower or stamina roll or suffer the effects of -1D stun until one is passed, due to disorientation.
Quote:
What about from a EMP, which IIRC fries the circuitry?

And i agree a regular ion blast does not affect the things inside the ship, but what about one of those ion mines (like the empion used in wraith squadron)...

I am unfamiliar with the point of reference, but as you describe it here I would say an EMP mine would affect all of the cyberware (use the 1-control, 2-control, etc... to determine how many individual pieces of cyberware are fried). I would also say if it completely fries the circuitry then the cyberware needs to be overhauled by a professional before it would work again. I am not sure of all of the effects of the EMP mine you describe.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage. Did you ever see Oceans 11, or GoldenEye? Both films have great examples of EMPs, though from what i know on them, the temp effect that they used in O11 was wrong...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kage. Did you ever see Oceans 11, or GoldenEye? Both films have great examples of EMPs, though from what i know on them, the temp effect that they used in O11 was wrong...

Yes, I have seen Ocean's Elleven, and parts of Goldeneye (didn't care for golden eye). It's not that I am unfamiliar with EMP, it's I am unfamiliar with the Wraith Squadron and the Empion references, so i do not know exactly what it does. Also, although from the descriptions of Ion weaponry in Star Wars, although Ion weapons do contain a strong EMP element, they are far more focused.
As for the temporary/non-temporary effects of EMP, it has a lot to do with variables and changing technology. Now a days, more and more electrical systems are being shielded against emp and electrical surges to a lesser degree (especially high end systems), and though an EMP will still disrupt them, chances of permanent damage are reduced and they often just need to be reset (which in and of itself can take days sometimes, depending on the system). As for Tech in a Galactic civilization with extensive space travel and weapons and equipment everyday that generates huge amount of radiation and magnetic noise, I feel they would have better shielding, and so would usually be "resetable". In the end though, it is up to the GM.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the novel, there were these mines, which acted as a 'pull the ship from hyperspace (gravity pulse) and contained both EMP and ION blasts, to disable the ships they hit. While not permenant, they were knocked out a lot more than a normal Ion bolt... And piggy (the gamorean, who had cyborg implants to speak and do other things) was severly schroked up....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that description, I'm guessing a broad based EMP to knock out weaker, lower tech, and unshielded type electronics, as well as foul sensors, with a powerful Ion surge to disable more resistant systems such as those on most interstellar craft.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, what about droids and stun grenades or blasters set to stun, as well as being on a ship that got an all systems down on the ion effects?

I had a PC that is a droid that looks like a human, but has no idea he himself is human. Two things happended during the adventure. one he was in a y-wing that got toasted by ion cannons, and I had him disabled. Granted he is in the second phase of prototypes and has a reset feature, that allows him to turn back on with - dice till repaired by the corporation.

Two, he was charging some possible bounty hunters in armour, but during the round his charge included three grenades being throwen in front of him. 2 ion and 1 frag. The ion was what messed him up, though in the description of that particular grenade it might have been more of sensory disruption. Also would changing the blaster to stun have an effect on a droid?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i remember of the rules and novels, droids are imune to stun bolts/grenades, though i coould see "guri like" synthetics being vunerable to them, somewhat... like say starting the damage at 4 above the chart (as it is, but add 4 to all numbers)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: