The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New to dsp or not to DSP...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New to dsp or not to DSP...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: New to dsp or not to DSP... Reply with quote

Ok boys and girls. Came up with a new conundrum for DSPs..

1) Party is on Planet X, where the local rebs are in a fight with the local imps. BUT for reasons not apparent (yet) to the party, as loing as the rebs keep the fight on the gorund, so do the imps. The party, deciding to ignore the ranking rebel officer's request for help (as the pcs are not members of the rebellion, just mercs hired for the mission, he cannot technially order them) to remove the wounded to another facility with their ship). Instead they ask about the imps base, and set out to destroy it using their ship. Several rebels try to warn them against this (as THEY know what the reprocussions are) but the pcs keep cutting them off, or shutting them up.
They head off to the imp base (and are easily detected, being the only thing in the air that is not an animal), and the imps send off their own fighters to the rebel base to blow IT UP>>>>..... The party either decides to not check sensors, or ignores the 'blip' they may see on it, that would show the imp fighters. They, through what ever means destroy the imp facility.
When they get back, they see the rebel base also destroyed......

A) would they get DSPs for by their actions of going to the base, it promoted the strike against the rebs?
would they get one for willfully ignoring the wounded?

2) Party is in enemy hideout # 6825-=3q8725=zfdvd-b under the trade city of BHYUI. While in there, they decide to play with some of the BBEG's toys/consoles, and activate it;'s reactor core's self destruct sequence. Knowing the blast of the reactor is enought to level the city, they decide to Get the heck out of dodge, not even bothering to go for their gear (back at home base) or even their ship...
NO ONE warns any of the locals or even any of the other spacers. Then the reactor explodes.....
Should they get a DSP (or two).....

For number 1, answer for
1- table of all non force sensitives
2- table of mixed force sensitives/non force sensitives but no force users
3- table of mixed FS/NFS but has a force user (or two)
4- table of all Fs (with or without force users)...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A. While amazingly stupid, the characters did not know what they were doing was bad. Yes they should have listened, yes they should have thought it out, but there is still a big difference between murder and manslaughter.....the same type of thing applies here. I would ask yourself if you think their actions were inappropriate for the game type. If they are expected to listen to clues, ect then let them know they F***ed up. I recommend having the rebels stop hiring them, have other orgs not be interested in hiring them out either; after all - their current rep is as rebel sympathisers who can't even pull off a simple job. Give them some time to soak that in, and then have someone offer to pay for their services, have him trust them and slowly reintegrate them into the bigger picture. This is best handled through RPing reprecusions than mechanical ones.

1. B. Here, I hold the three groups NFS, FS, and FU to different standards. Regardless of the mix at the table they each have a different expectation. I would say the Jedi did wrong unless that character has good reason for their actions. For example: Not responding because he "doesn't take orders from rebels" is bad; where as "I thought taking down the imperial base would stop the fighting, resulting in less death. It was one life or several." is acceptable. I ouldn't even worry about the others - NFS and FS. You can have reprecusions in game though, perhaps the wounded person was important to the storyline somehow.

SIDENOTE:

Why didn't the rebels go running out of the base as soon as they realised what was coming?

2. Yes for all. They ran away only carring for themselves; not cool. Hundreds, or thousands.....possibly hundreds of thousands died because of both their action and their inaction.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, both were dreamed up kind of 'what ifs'. As to the running away, that imo would just prolong their suffering, as they would still eventually get caught in the blast radius of a proton bomb...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garkhal, I just want to say, I love it when you present us with these. These are fun.

1) I would only give DSPs for ignoring the wounded. They could have helped the wounded THAN done their stupid plan. Secondly, their stupid plan would not have earned tham too many CPs after the game. That is for any mix of FS, NFS, and force users.

2) They did not intentionally start the reactor, no DSP for that. But they did choose to not tell anyone of their folly.
A general burst transmission warning through communication relays, with coordinates for scan to see the problem if anyone does not beleive them, and than just keep running, and they could have gotten away with little consequence to themselves.
But, they lifted no finger to help, and let people die... that is 1 DSP for everybody.
to finance my 'vette!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Boomer on that as well. 1 DSP for ignoring the wounded. If they knew what they were doing with the reactor, then 1 DSP should be given, if they did not try to help people get out of the blast radius. I think it is best to think of the force in black or white. Every action, or inaction, has a price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Boomer...
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSPs should be given for evil actions, not stupid ones.

For #1, I would have warned a force-sensitive PC about leaving the wounded. No DSP, just a warning. The PCs should have listened to the rebels, but since there were no aircraft in the combat, it makes sense to assume that neither side had decent air strength. I would have let the PCs know about the air situation as soon as they got to combat.

#2: Once again, evil, not stuid. They probably didn't mean to set off the reactor, and even if they warned anyone, would anyone beleive them? Now, there should be some role playing repercussions, but no DSP.

In general, DSPs should be given for blatantly evil or selfish acts, a PC can never have more than 6 and survive.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second Boomer as well. These scenarios are thought-provoking and fun.

Sometimes it's enjoyable to work up to 6 pages of blah-blah-blah over an issue! Wink

I concur with the "DSPs for evil actions, not for stupidity" vote. Yes, consequences are harsher for Jedi because of their closeness to the Force and their constant temptation to turn to the Dark Side. But if they were either stupid or insanely dense, I wouldn't give them DSPs. Definite RP consequences, coupled with a distinct lack of CPs at the end, but not DSPs.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do you determine if they were being willfully selfish (like in that latter case) or stupid? IMO the former one WOULD warrent a dsp.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, there's no reason why the Imperials didn't blow up the base before.

#2, how long did they have untill the reactor exploded? They might have been in panic-mode, which tends to override common sense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and answer those questions is going to be hard, as it was a dreamed up hypothetical.... But here goes..

#1. Like i said, the reactor was there, most likely for their power source, so they would not be noticed taking power from the national grid.

#2. Lets say half an hour. Enough time for them to flee the base and just get outside the city, with say 4-6 rounds to spare... IMO that is at least enough time to get out some sort of warning...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 1: No one gets a DSP. What they did is not evil. They may get thrown out of the Rebellion or even on the Rebellion's list of wanted criminals

Question 2: Everyone gets a DSP; force sensitive or not. Mass murder is a crime against the force. The PCs get a DSP for the same reason the Imperials get one for the destruction of Alderaan.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.a.) Ignoring the wounde - Only possibly the force sensitives or force user would I even consider for a DSP for this. Even then, I woul dprobably forgoe it as it is not an inherently evil act.
1.b.) Precipitating the attack - No DSP, as this was not an act intentionally performed, nor is it intentionally evil. I would definately have the republic/rebel alliance out for them for this breach of sanity. I could not justify a DSP for this.

2) A qualified Yes. Force Sensitives and Force Users would receive a DSP for their reckless acts. They should have made every effort to disarm the device, or warn the civillians and inhabitants of the city to allow them to escape.

When you keep asking "a DSP or two" keep in mind, it is 1 DSP per scene, barring the use of Sith technology or powers of the dark side. Regardless of the outcome of any act, the most DSP a character will be granted in a single scene is 1.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for the second one, as i have seen some times, people getting 2 for extremely haneous acts...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I asked for the second one, as i have seen some times, people getting 2 for extremely haneous acts...

The only time I feel a character should receive multiple DSP in a single stroke is when they burn a force point in anger or for evil, while using a force power to harm, then they would maybe get 2 (one for the Force Point, and one for the Force Power).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: