The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whole slew, part 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Whole slew, part 2.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Whole slew, part 2. Reply with quote

New Slew of questions…

For a brief background. Sparks/Game base 7 are the ones who run the star wars at Gencon, and they have their own house rules, campaign modules, equipment etc.. One of the more popular is a drink called BLUE STUFF. This blue liquid is highly flammable and potent. A quarter of a pint can drop a full size Wookie.
Now on to the questions.

First:

In the first of the 2 sessions, I threw a full-size military water canteen, full of the stuff at a dark Jedi, who (stupidly) used his light saber to 'parry it". As the bottle got cut we broke for a half hour food break, while the DM consulted with other dm's to get a sort of consensus on what would happen. The gist is:
1) Is a light saber capable of igniting things?
2) If so, would it have done so to this liquid??????

What about gunpowder/Blasting powder??

Posted by Kayle Skolaris over on the holonet.
One of the light saber practice techniques in Fragments From the Rim is to light candles with one's saber without harming the candles themselves. So according to WEG, yes, a saber can ignite flammables.

Side question, asked by Generic Jedi
What do other game masters do, say, if a player wants to cut through a bulkhead of a cap ship or something. Deny the opportunity, or have little happen unless they have really high force skills to back the damage up?

Next question:
Ok, in the X wing vs. Tie games (and all the other ones of it's kind), we see several missile types: Standard Concussion, standard proton torp, Advance concussion, Advance torp, Heavy rockets and Space bombs.
The standard 2 are those used in the RPG. But what would the stats and such be for the others??????

Next questions (as they are all linked):
Would you allow a player, who made say, a character ‘tree’ of who he will play once his current character dies, to have a Will, passing on the belongings from his current character, to the replacement? What about if he makes his next character a family member?

One of the suggestions we had from several websites for this, was if it was allowed, place a bounty on the new characters head equal to 50% greater than what they got ‘willed’. So if a character got willed 10000 credits, and a 35000 credit ship (totaling 45k) he would have a 67500 bounty.

Next question:
Roughly 5 years ago, I ran a 13 month long game (not truly a chronicle, but close). We had 7 players (4 male, 3 female), and it was set in the Pre-yavin era (Jedi purges was in effect). Of the 7, 2 were Jedi, one of each sex. They were playing brother and sister (and interestingly were actually brother and sister in real life). When I started, I made it known that as the purges were going on, all Jedi would be hunted down for killing or conversion. BUT, when it came time for me to spring 2 of my Jedi hunter groups on the party, the Female took it personally, saying I was deliberately just picking on her. She threw a hissy fit, and I just made it into the entire group was now hunted.

How would you have handled it?
FOR NOTE> Of the 3 times that this has happened, she was the only one that was female…

One of the questions asked of me, on this, from Frzz Drumbar;
Your Jedi hunt sounds perfectly reasonable...Did your hunt fail to search for her brother?
She was hunted three times before? I didn't understand that. was she hunted to the exclusion of the other Jedi. Was she not being discrete? Did she bring this on her at all?

My response to it –
She was the 23rd in the family who became Jedi, 1 of 2 of her generation. After getting a Jedi historian to check her family, she found out that it skips every 3 generations, and he family is strongly tied to Alter powers, but sucks at sense powers (I gave a +1D to alter rolls, and -1D to sense rolls). She was, prior to the start of the Jedi purges looking to get "involved" with another Jedi, thinking (as she put out) that if she got preggers by a fellow Jedi, her kids would be stronger. Well, didn't happen by the time the first group of Jedi hunters came..... Heck, she even tried to get her brother once.

As for her brother, he wished to turn and become one of the hunter groups. Last game we played, it came down to a show down between her and him. AS for her overusing her force powers, HELL YES! Every little situation that the party came up to, she was putting force powers to use.

As for why she was hunted many other times, she always got out of the combat by running her chicken s*** a** away, while leaving the party to fend for themselves. The second time this happened, I straight up gave her a DSP, the third time, she got another dsp and was ambushed by the purger group's back up.

Next question:
I know in the states, that everyone who is an adult, is registered, and can be called upon to be a member of a jury. But what about in the Star wars galaxy?
Would they have the body of their citizens in a database and 'randomly select for jury duty?
Would you go along??
Has anyone thought of using a Jury/courtroom setting for a game?

Next question:
In the Corellian Trilogy, we see Tendra Rissant, using an old Radionics (earth style) communication system that gets through the Center point Jamming field. We also see that most communications rigs do not normally ‘receive’ them, but can be sometimes tuned that low. Also, most consider them to be so low key as to not bother with them. But in a jamming field, imo they would be a lot more useful than trying to crack it.

Next question. Since many artillery/walker scale blasters and such, have a big blast radius, would this not make it EASIER to hit someone? As you don’t have to hit them. You just have to get the bolt close to the person.????

One of the comments for it, from Tao
You could treat it like a grenade like weapon, where the further out, the less damage.

Next question. Concerning escape pods.. (well actually has 4 in it):
I have wondered several things on these...
1) What of their standard 'kit out', is survival gear.
2) How far they can travel.
3) How potent their communication beacon (for the SOS message it sends out)
4) how much air/fuel it carries

One of the comments on it from Slave_1
As stated above, I tend to use it more for a plot device. There is always "Just enough" to get by on (Mostly)

My reply:
But what happens if in one mission/session, they get given 2 weeks (by your plot device), but in another its only 3 days... How do you justify that??!

Continued in part 3!~
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you allow a player, who made say, a character ‘tree’ of who he will play once his current character dies, to have a Will, passing on the belongings from his current character, to the replacement? What about if he makes his next character a family member?

First, to allow this I'd require the player to have a VERY detailed backstory for each character. He can't just say, "Oh, this is Joe X's favorite nephew. Joe died and left him a tricked-out YT-2400 and fifty thousand credits. NO WAY. I'd require him to come up with actual backstory telling everyone exactly WHY he was Joe X's favorite nephew, some of the things they did together, so it would be obvious why Joe would leave such a valuable gift to this player (and so on down the line as well.) I'd also be very likely to have the new character incur a debt for any mods made over the stock stats. If not that, then perhaps a hefty transaction fee for transferring ownership... This will prevent one player from Connor MacCleod syndrome (from the Highlander movies, for the uninitiated), which will cause jealousy and emnity with the other players. Heck, I had a GREAT backstory for a character of mine who saved the son of a guy in the smuggling group my character grew up in. My character and the son (another player's character) became best friends, and the other character has been traveling with mine and teaching me how to pilot starships, primarily the modified YT-1930 that my friend's father gave me. I still had to deal with over 300,000 credits' worth of debt for the mods to the ship- which by the way were covered in my backstory. I don't say this as a complaint, because I think it's perfectly reasonable. The debt covers the mods to the ship; I could have had the stock ship free and clear. Instead, I altered my backstory to fit the GM's ruling, and we just rolled on from there. This kept the other players in the group from thinking I was getting over and above what I should have been able to start with, and it added a valuable ship to the entire group's stash of equipment.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roughly 5 years ago, I ran a 13 month long game (not truly a chronicle, but close). We had 7 players (4 male, 3 female), and it was set in the Pre-yavin era (Jedi purges was in effect). Of the 7, 2 were Jedi, one of each sex. They were playing brother and sister (and interestingly were actually brother and sister in real life). When I started, I made it known that as the purges were going on, all Jedi would be hunted down for killing or conversion. BUT, when it came time for me to spring 2 of my Jedi hunter groups on the party, the Female took it personally, saying I was deliberately just picking on her. She threw a hissy fit, and I just made it into the entire group was now hunted.

For this one, you specifically warned them that they were operating during the Purge, and that they WOULD be facing Jedi Hunter teams. If she couldn't handle that, she should have changed template types. It didn't help that the brother wanted to change over to the dark side either. I don't know how soon or far into the campaign he decided this/actually changed sides, but once he did, it would DEFINITELY have been all about her. I also don't know if you warned her that such prolific Force use would certainly bring the hunters on en masse- at some point I would have, just to give her the chance to tone it down. If she didn't want to use some common sense, however, then the results were on her, and you did just fine.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... I love these.

Quote:
First:

In the first of the 2 sessions, I threw a full-size military water canteen, full of the stuff at a dark Jedi, who (stupidly) used his light saber to 'parry it". As the bottle got cut we broke for a half hour food break, while the DM consulted with other dm's to get a sort of consensus on what would happen. The gist is:
1) Is a light saber capable of igniting things?
2) If so, would it have done so to this liquid??????

It all depends on the nature of the flammability of the liquid and the container. The lightsaber itself produces extreme heat, but for some flammables that is not enough for combustion. Second, does the container produce flame when it is cut? Eeven on the smallest amount like glowing embers, red hot metal, et cetera. If this is a flammable drink, I doubt it will explode, but will certainly work like any alcohol fire.

Gun and blasting powder, BOOM!

Quote:
What do other game masters do, say, if a player wants to cut through a bulkhead of a cap ship or something. Deny the opportunity, or have little happen unless they have really high force skills to back the damage up?

My position, they can cut through anything, end of story. Now, wether or not this means any real damage was done to the capital ship is another story, as a tiny hole is entirely inconsequential. There would still be all the rolls for damage, and he may not cut all the way through the hull to breach it, if it is an attack roll. If he slices at the hull, I roll like an attack. If he puts the saber all the way through and is attempting to cut the hull, it is merely a skill roll to determine if he cuts properly, and a damage roll to see how long it takes.
But there are so many ways this can go, really.

Quote:
Ok, in the X wing vs. Tie games (and all the other ones of it's kind), we see several missile types: Standard Concussion, standard proton torp, Advance concussion, Advance torp, Heavy rockets and Space bombs.
The standard 2 are those used in the RPG. But what would the stats and such be for the others??????

Well there is no one set of stats for the standard types in the RPG, now is there. As for heavy rockets, generally concussion missile damage, with no fire control bonuses. Space bombs, like what the TIE Bomber uses, I beleive. I could be wrong.

Quote:

Now this all depends upon the laws of the home systems of each character, banking traditions and customs of whoever is really holding the money, and circumstances each character is in. As the buck gets passed from character to character, a brand new zany situation can occure. I would not require a detailed backstory for every single connection, just all information pertinent to the transaction. As the money travels down the line, new complications will build up along the way.

Quote:
She threw a hissy fit, and I just made it into the entire group was now hunted.

I have never had a female in my game toss the gender card at me. And if it ever happens I will not stand for it, but kindly re-iterate that; Number one, she is not the only girl there, so singling out women for anything certianly isnt the issue; Two, she is playing a jedi, and she is being hunted, she was told it would happen before game; Three, if she doesn't like a completely reasonable situation she had fair warning about beforehand, she can quit playing. Either her, or get a new character that will not be hunted.

Quote:
I know in the states, that everyone who is an adult, is registered, and can be called upon to be a member of a jury. But what about in the Star wars galaxy?

In the united states, only those registered to vote are called upon to jury duty. And every country has it's own laws and customs regarding this. I would make it the same for the star wars galaxy, depending upon the laws and customs of the characters home system.
Anything from jury duty, to taxes, manditory mating with the insect queen, family tribal rituals, et cetera. There are many possibilities for this.

Quote:
In the Corellian Trilogy, we see Tendra Rissant, using an old Radionics (earth style) communication system that gets through the Center point Jamming field. We also see that most communications rigs do not normally ‘receive’ them, but can be sometimes tuned that low. Also, most consider them to be so low key as to not bother with them. But in a jamming field, imo they would be a lot more useful than trying to crack it.

But a structured radio signal always stands out on the sensors over regular space noise. At least IRL and in my games it does.

Quote:
Next question. Since many artillery/walker scale blasters and such, have a big blast radius, would this not make it EASIER to hit someone? As you don’t have to hit them. You just have to get the bolt close to the person.????

If you are attacking at the lower scale, it will always be more difficult. Just select a target your scale that your target happens to be inside of. Than roll for the characters save against damage to that area. Like a capital ship completely bombarding one acre of land to kill the infantry, rather than trying to individually target the infantry.

Quote:
I have wondered several things on these...
1) What of their standard 'kit out', is survival gear.
2) How far they can travel.
3) How potent their communication beacon (for the SOS message it sends out)
4) how much air/fuel it carries

1) One emergency space suit for each occupant.]
2) usually within a system area of space or more.
3) Usually out to a sector.
4) anywhere from a week to a month.

It all really depends upon make and model. The Ghtroc escape pods can be used like short range landing shuttles. There is another model that holds only one person and can only go from orbit to planet, or just float through space, and only lasts a week.

As for that persons plot device, again, each make and model of Escape pod is diffrent, and while I try and set a week as the minimum survivability, not every pod is going to be up to code.

How did I do?
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahhh... I love these.

I know. it is why i have come up with so many over the years to ask...

Quote:
Gun and blasting powder, BOOM!

What would you set the damage at?? For my situation, the gm, who did both the canteen of blue stuff and the gunpowder, set it at 4d/3d/2d/1d (the latter for burning).

First Dark Jedi (the one who got the blue stuff), due to a great roll, took 23 damage, while he only soaked with a 9!!!
Second dark jedi (the first of 3 that got the gunpowder) took 44 (5 rerolls on the wild die) but made a 37 for his soak (still took a wound!)...
Third took only 13 damage and soaked it all, but the gm still applied a 3d penalty for the rest of the round, due to 'flash blindness.
Fourth, took 30 damage (3 rerolls) and soaked with 5!!! (sucky roll).... Unfortunatly he was also carrying a backpack with 8lb of detonite, which the gm ruled exploded due to the flames.... and i was in the first 'blast radius' catagory... i almost died!

Quote:
I have never had a female in my game toss the gender card at me. And if it ever happens I will not stand for it, but kindly re-iterate that; Number one, she is not the only girl there, so singling out women for anything certianly isnt the issue; Two, she is playing a jedi, and she is being hunted, she was told it would happen before game; Three, if she doesn't like a completely reasonable situation she had fair warning about beforehand, she can quit playing. Either her, or get a new character that will not be hunted.

I don't feel she was tossing the gender card, but maybe i might have given that thought, with the comment on she was a female... I put that in, as on the holonet someone asked for more info on the lass.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you handled the damage for an explosive well.

But if the Blue Stuff was a drink, and merely supposed to be flammable like alcohol, 3d damage for a couple rounds while it burns unless exitinguished would be better. Maybe less.
Unless you had them drinking an explosive...
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most others agree, with what the gm set it at...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Blue Stuff question goes, the container need not even produce a real flame, per se. Almost always, when we see a lightsaber shear through metal, there are sparks. This can be enough to ignite the liquid, but not necessarily. You'd have to determine a flash point for it. I've seen guys putting their cigarettes out in diesel and jet fuel. Your normal joe would be diving for cover, but if you know that it takes an extremely high temp to ignite it, you can fake people (especially nOObs!) out and have them ducking every which way but where you are. Could actually be used to your advantage.

Now, I'm not saying that you should necessarily go and figure out the exact temperature it'd take to ignite the substance. But you (and the GM) ought to come up with a general agreement on what kind of stimulus is going to be required to light it BEFORE you roll.

Then light 'er up! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: