The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Time Keeping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Time Keeping Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered how long it'd be before you saw that one! Wink

Personally I wouldn't think it's a result of nationality, but hey- that's just me.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. as far as I know, brazilians have a fame of being lazy and doing things half-arsed.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... that Adriana Lima has it goin' ON, man! Wink

Plus, the only Brazillian I've ever had experience with has been too busy working his butt off on Star Wars Sourcebooks for me to ask him if he's lazy or not... Laughing
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can call me lazy on the account of: Where do you find so much free time to do all this rpg stuff?
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I never thought about that... Hmm. Well, he was raised a farmboy so maybe that has more to do with it. And yeah, where does Gry get all this free time...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: Sleeping is for sissys. You can rest when you're dead.

Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my mom grew up on a farm with seven brothers and sisters. Don't be callin' e'm lazy...

My aunt could bale hay better than most of the guys she worked with!
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Calender and math Reply with quote

I've been trying to find/create a calendar, however I keep running into a problem. Every time I try to use the canon calendar, I keep coming up short. The math isn't adding up, and I'm not sure where I keep going wrong. Can someone help me please?

Sources:
https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/1400_opt_1/89e91e31050917.563f286d5165f.png
http://kotor.griffcrier.com/workbench/the-star-wars-calendar/
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What number are you getting?

Ten 35-day months, plus three 5-day festival weeks, plus three festival days: 350+15+3=368. IIRC (my books are packed away in storage), a year in the SWU is 368 days.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going off of the numbers listed in the sources. Thanks for clearing up the confusion though, I was racking my brain trying to figure things out.

I guess this just goes to show what you get for trusting the Internet.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ten 35-day months, plus three 5-day festival weeks, plus three festival days: 350+15+3=368. IIRC (my books are packed away in storage), a year in the SWU is 368 days.

Thanks. I believe that is laid out in one of the Tapani books.

jtanzer wrote:
I was going off of the numbers listed in the sources. Thanks for clearing up the confusion though, I was racking my brain trying to figure things out.

I guess this just goes to show what you get for trusting the Internet.

Hey, this is "the internet" too. The internet is a mix of information and misinformation. It's not all or nothing. A little research and some critical thinking go a long way.

In general, Legends articles on Wookieepedia tend to have more information than their Canon counterparts (somewhat because Canon is newer but also because Canon is "fluff light"). But this is the exception; the Canon tab of the Wook article you shared actually has better details. Below is the direct link.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_standard_calendar

Quote:
Its fundamental unit, the standard day, was based on one complete revolution of Coruscant. The planet took 368 standard days to make one complete orbit of its star, Coruscant Prime, a time period that became the standard year.

The year was divided into standard months and standard weeks. The length of a month, 35 days, was determined by the syzygy of Coruscant's primary moon Centax-1—the time it took to pass from one new (or full) moon to the next. The month was divided into seven weeks, each containing five days named after celestial bodies or historical inhabitants of Coruscant: Primeday, Centaxday, Taungsday, Zhellday, and Benduday.

There were 10 standard months in a standard year, which only added up to 350. Therefore, the "missing" 18 days were made up of three festival of fete weeks, plus three regular annual holidays. New Year Fete Week fell in the first five days of the new year, before the first month, while the Festival of Life fete occurred between the sixth and seventh, and the Festival of Stars between the ninth and tenth. The three holidays varied depending on the local culture. For example, Boonta Eve and Harvest Day were only observed on Tatooine.

Combine the above with the fact that Coruscant's hours in a day, minutes, and seconds are the same as in our real world timekeeping system, and you've got it all except for where the three single-day holidays are on the calendar and the names of the months (if they have names).

It wouldn't make sense for the single-day holidays to land in the middle of the week (thus making a six-day week), but I guess it is possible. If Boonta Eve (or more likely, "Boonta") is one of those holidays, then it could fall in between the third and fourth weeks of the fourth month, based on published TPM dating using this calendar.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: