The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Exceptional to hit rolls and damage bonuses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Exceptional to hit rolls and damage bonuses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DS-61-4
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Exceptional to hit rolls and damage bonuses Reply with quote

Hi,

Me and some friends have been playing a lot of WOD rpg's, especially Vampire: TM. In that set of rules, when you score a higher roll to hit than the difficulty, you get extra damage die. Do you think something like this would fit the D6 system? Better rolls = extra damage. I'm kinda new to this game and could use your experience.

Something like:

If the to hit roll beats the final difficulty score by a score of:

1-5 assign normal damage.
6-10 you get a 1D damage bonus.
11-15 you get a 2D damage bonus.
16+ you get a 3D damage bonus.

Or would that be too lethal? Maybe pips instead of dice?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already had a discussion on this.

Both to hit and to damage go by the same rules, and are subject to the same bonuses. If you allows extra damage on both to hit rolls, and to damage rolls, than it is now twice as likely to do extra damage.

The extra damage should only come from a bonus to the damage rolls. Not anything else.
Being able to hit very difficult targets is the bonus applied from very high hit rolls.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules allow to hit a specific location by lowering your dice pool by 1D. This raises the damage code by 1D. (or is this just my houserule)

I would not allow for automatic extra damage when it comes to high rolls. If a character wants to deal extra damage, if possible at all, he has to tell in advance and has to roll versus a higher difficulty set by the GM - no pain, no gain.

By the way: I think this system is to lethal. As i keep telling from my looooong experience as roleplayer - criticals are only good for the monsters. Who cares if a stormtrooper dies by a critical delivered from a player, when there are around 1 Billion left? But players might die from one good rolling by the GM. And if there is a relevant npc enemy, and he dies in the final showdown by a critical - would that session really be fun?
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system is designed to be quickly resolved and on the realistic side. You're not supposed to be fighting monsters, you're fighting people. People die like people. Tactics are more realistic, and fighting is more deadly. It's definitely a game where violence is not always the best solution.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the following house rule:

For every 10 points you beat the difficulty by the damage is increased by 1D. Note that this rule only works when fighting stuff on the same scale.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: