The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would this be too outlandish..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Would this be too outlandish..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Would this be too outlandish.. Reply with quote

OK. Had another of my daydreams about the party getting into hot water.

Say they went to planet X. It is in the outer rim, and so can be considered backwater, but is well known as a holiday resort with GOOD security. The party, for what ever reason, tries to take in their big weapons, which the security at the space port denys them without the proper form. They shrug, and make it seem obvious they have not got that form/don't know what it is.
They return to their ship, where one forges forms for each of them, then they wait for the security shift turn over for the next guy to be there, to try the forgeries on.

He WAS given a full turn over (inc the camera footage) of the pcs, as possible miscreants, to watch out for.
The party then shows up, saying they got the new forms. He challenges them to give a reasoning for them being his security monitors detected no communications from the ship, whether via ships or personal comm units. They then try to con him.

Would it be feasable/outlandish to say it simply does not work, with what he sees there??

If they then try to force their way past/shoot it out, or otherwise try to resist arrest (as imo trying to pass obviously forged paperwork is a big crime), what would be a good punishment...?
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If forgery was detected and proven: at the very least a hefty fine, likely imprisonment, of course confiscation of the wepons in question and of the tools to forge the documents with and if they can't pay their fine, confiscation of their ship and personal belongings as well. High security planets uphold their security by harsh laws and strictest controls and are usually not the people to toy around with.

Then again, this is Star Wars and should probably focus on different stuff and if things like that make the players groan and it serves no greater plot idea you had in mind, might as well just let em in...

For instance, we had a Jedi try to get past security with her lightsaber once on a vacation planet and she conned the security guards into believing this was really a medication dispenser... Security was not overly tight, so she really managed to pull it off. On tighter security worlds she would have not managed that feat cause baggage controls usually consists of specialized droids that would immediately detect an "ancient ritual weapon" that is highly illegal in imperial space.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
For instance, we had a Jedi try to get past security with her lightsaber once on a vacation planet and she conned the security guards into believing this was really a medication dispenser... Security was not overly tight, so she really managed to pull it off. On tighter security worlds she would have not managed that feat cause baggage controls usually consists of specialized droids that would immediately detect an "ancient ritual weapon" that is highly illegal in imperial space.

That's one good way to handle lightsabers in Empire Era times. Another is simply not to worry about them. Most sources I've seen (including novels) state that weapons detectors most often register lightsabers as some sort of shaving device, and therefore don't go off when one passes through their sensor arc. I personally would subscribe to this notion, especially given the rituals a Jedi goes through when constructing a lightsaber. The way they use the Force to meld the parts into something that's much greater than their sum could very logically alter the physical components in such a way that weapons detectors are no longer a problem, if indeed, they ever truly were.

And if that's not enough of a reason to have lightsabers be immune to the detectors, consider this: an Imperial Grand Inquisitor touches down on Planet X. He's following a lead given him by the Emperor about a possible rogue Jedi. He tracks that individual to a cantina with strict rules about weapons. Now, remember that lightsabers are now considered rare, so technically any manufacturers wouldn't need to include recognition software for them. Anyway, the Grand Inquisitor strolls through the door of the cantina...

...only to have the detector blare out that a weapon has been detected, drawing all eyes to the door.

The Emperor would be MOST displeased with having the investigation of one of his operatives possibly compromised because his weapon set off an alarm. I could therefore see it as very possible, if not likely, that he would have at least pressured the manufacturers (if not bought them out and taken them over) to eliminate any detection protocols for lightsabers, if they were ever there in the first place.

Now, understand that this is coming from someone who's never seen stats for a weapons detection unit, so all I'm going on is what I've read and believe from my own "certain point of view." If there really are stats out there, I'm sure Gry knows where they are and could point me in their direction. Even WITH the stats, however, my opinion still stands. It just makes for a little more steady flow in that part of the adventure.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Akari about the following.

Quote:
If forgery was detected and proven: at the very least a hefty fine, likely imprisonment, of course confiscation of the wepons in question and of the tools to forge the documents with and if they can't pay their fine, confiscation of their ship and personal belongings as well. High security planets uphold their security by harsh laws and strictest controls and are usually not the people to toy around with.

Seems to be the way to do it.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:

Then again, this is Star Wars and should probably focus on different stuff and if things like that make the players groan and it serves no greater plot idea you had in mind, might as well just let em in...

My thoughts on it, were for making a module, where part of it, is tracking down a rebel turn coat, that decided to use this planet to hide out on. And i was thinking of making the weapons restrictions/security measures, HIGH as heck, to not only show that not all backwater worlds are pushovers, but also to try and get the players thinking of alternate ways to do things. Not always relying on their big guns and such...
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very fine idea Garkhal! I actually hoped for something like this on our holiday trip but nothing happened unfortunately... Gets players to think more and use their inborn abilities to the fullest.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
A very fine idea Garkhal! I actually hoped for something like this on our holiday trip but nothing happened unfortunately... Gets players to think more and use their inborn abilities to the fullest.

Exactly! This is the point where those players who've deigned to give their characters upgraded levels in skills such as those that fall under Knowledge and Technical can really shine. Someone with a high Bureaucracy skill, for instance, might be knowlegeable enough to know of a loophole in policy that would allow the PCs their weapons, or at least a downgraded assortment. (Or might at least be able to do enough lawyering to keep them out of the brig.) This is also the place where a slicer can come in really handy. Forged permits (as long as they're up to specs) can pave the way for privileges not enjoyed by lesser beings. A timely slice into the local system with fresh orders calling for backup over in sector 7G might at least thin out the ranks the PCs have to deal with. Perhaps rather than forged permits, he sets you up with complete Imperial credentials. That way, you'd at least have "authorization" to carry any Imperial-issued weapons.

The point is, this scenario will either force your players to start assigning CPs to non-combat skills, or reward those who have already because the adventure will then be showcasing their skills, and since they'll be doing the bulk of the work, they'll earn the bulk of the CPs as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: