The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

If the Podrace scenario was being roleplayed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> If the Podrace scenario was being roleplayed...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: If the Podrace scenario was being roleplayed... Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from an article in Pyramid, the online gaming mag from SJGames. The premise is what the GM's (and article author) players would do if forced to play a scenario from The Phantom Menace:

GM: "Watto has the part you need, but he won't accept Republic credits. Looks like you'll need to pod race to get the money."

PLAYER: "I use my powers to make him accept them!"

GM: "Uhhh . . . he's immune. Looks like it's time to pod race."

PLAYER: "I ask him to tell me the name of the richest person he knows who isn't a Toydarian."

GM: "Uhhh . . . he knows Jabba the Hutt. And, um, that's all. The pod race will be starting soon . . ."

PLAYER: "I ask Anakin who else has money."

GM: "Er, Anakin doesn't know anyone. Podracepodracepodrace . . ."

PLAYER: "Hey, wait! There's a pod race starting, right?"

GM: "YES!"

PLAYER: "Great! I systematically use my Jedi Mind Trick on everyone in the stadium, trying to swindle enough money to buy that part. I'm more than willing to reimburse them with double that amount in Republic credits, and I'll even throw in a slightly used Gungan. I'll start with the gamblers; by definition they have to have money, right?"

GM: [long pause] "I hate you."

The line about the "slightly used Gungan" is what kills me.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

On a related note, my group once roleplayed a podrace and it was loads of fun! Quite tense and exciting. If and when I do an Ep1 book, I'll be sure to include a detailed podracing chapter...

And btw, the reason for my character to enter the race was good ol'-fashioned fame and fortune.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is there?

Except, of course, purchasing much-needed hyperdrives... Razz
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. He ended up actually winning the race, much to my GM's and fellow player's dispair. And with the winnings he bought a Mobquet Transport and started his own transport business.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were doing some serious damage to the party, I don't understand why your fellow players would despair at your victory; unless you left them in the dust and went off on your own, it would only benefit the group for you to get this vessel. Depending on the party's leanings and activities, a Mobquet Transport could spell the beginning of dozens of different adventure types.

So what was their beef, other than the fact that you won it and they didn't?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the things is: The podrace was really just a side-story to the adventure.

I was playing two characters in that adventure, a saboteur called Nitch and Lt. Kettch, a bio-enhanced ewok. Now, Kettch being an ewok that can fly a ship, started off as a NPC that none of the players much cared for. They disregarded him, offended him, and occasionally stunned him. In time he kind of grew on them a little and slowly migrated to being a PC.

Well, back to the race, through some shady circumstances, Kettch ended up in the race, though the other players were dealing with some other issues. Since the outcome of the race wasn't really important to the adventure itself and Kettch was only a glorified NPC, we all new that this thing would be "for real". Meaning that the GM would be absolutely impartial, anybody could win, and anybody could go up in flames. Each player was assigned a couple of NPC pilots to run, so basically it was the entire gaming table controlling about a dozen racers, all wanting to make sure the pathetic ewok didn't win the race. Also most players had placed sizeable bets on the other racers. Even the other character I was playing tried to sabotage Kettch's pod, but luckily failed.

So, that's why they were all really intent on not letting me win, but somehow I prevailed in the end. Huzzah! Of course, the also found it cool that I managed to beat them when the odds were so against me, and it made for a greta story arc.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowe wowe wowe! you need to stop at "bio enhanced ewok" there buddy.
I need to see some stats for that Shocked
Darth Von Zipper
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put this video game box into an adventure with pod races

http://vondan.com/dan/games/jundland/jundland.html

A friend made action figures of his Star Wars D6 PC's and I had some Photoshop Fun.

Eve Boonta, captian of “Team Boonta” is my campaigns Pod Race Champion. An NPC from Mos Desto on Tattooine, this town is full of hot rod speeders and pods right out of American Graffiti. There are five members and the overalls have logos for Tochi Station and Ronto Farms Dairy, Judy Jawa is the mechanic and a guy named Jorg in a plaid flannel desert robe keeps filming every thing.

http://vondan.com/dan/j-chicks/jedi_chicks.html
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst Beamem wrote:
wowe wowe wowe! you need to stop at "bio enhanced ewok" there buddy.
I need to see some stats for that Shocked

It's not really anything too fancy. If you read the X-Wing: Wraith Squadron books, you might remember the character. He's an ewok who was taken by Imperial Warlord Zsinj and subjected to bio-chemical experiments to enhance his mental abilities. These gruesome experiments made him able to speak basic and even pilot a starship (with the help of leg an arm extensors in order to reach the controls.) Mind that even though the RPG info on ewoks don't go so far, the books state that they are near-animal beings, around caveman-level, if you will.

Here's a pic of him:

Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I never read those books and thought the idea of a bio enhanced ewok sounded very cool.
Darth Von Zipper
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

If you read the X-Wing: Wraith Squadron books, you might remember the character. He's an ewok who was taken by Imperial Warlord Zsinj and subjected to bio-chemical experiments to enhance his mental abilities. These gruesome experiments made him able to speak basic and even pilot a starship (with the help of leg an arm extensors in order to reach the controls.)

And one of the rebel pilots was a Gamorian who had escaped from the same lab years before and was a math genius. Although he was always depressed because he figured he could never find a Gamorian woman who would understand him, he really should have introduced himself to the Gamorian ladies who escaped near the end and tore the Imperials to pieces with bare hands

http://vondan.com/dan/j-chicks/jedi_chicks.html
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my character has that same dislocation syndrome. Ewoks think he's a freak, humans think he's a cute freak. Can't get respect from nobody. That's why it was so cool that he managed to win the podrace, he finally got some well-deserved recognition, even though some reporters still played on the freak-factor...

However, Kettch (or Kolot, his real name) is nowhere near as brilliant as that Gamorrean pilot. He's just human-level bright, while that gamorrean could plot hyperspace coordinates in his head!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND he also simultaneously oversees space combat and lets his squadmates know when to juke and jink.

All while contemplating his next meal and writing his memoirs!

Ok, that last line is a bit over the top.

But the rest of it is absolutely spot-on. His mental faculties are OFF the charts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: