The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Best Introduction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Best Introduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Best Introduction Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you had found certain types of campaigns or playing styles (miniatures vs. ad hoc pencil and paper) to be better than others types for introducing first-time roleplayers to the Star Wars RPG and or roleplaying in general? What things do you think best help new players to "feel the force" and get pulled into the universe.

Interested in you ideas.

Long Live SWD6
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the best way to introduce a new gamer to Star Wars RPG, is to create a simple adventure that's chock full of the best-known Star Wars things.

Don't start with an adventure on a remote agricultural planet on the western arm of the tapani sector, where competing Gree nobles are trying to find a lost Caamasi artifact before the CSA gets to it.

Start on Mos Eisley, Tatooine. With a cantina browl, followed by a brush-up with some tuskens. And later trying to liberate a battered freighter from the docking bay where stormtroopers have it impounded.

It might not be terribly original, but it'll help your inexperienced players feel like they are in the Star Wars universe they know. Don't bother much with the rules in the beginning. Simply pick difficulties and tell them to roll it. Higher - sucess. Lower - failure. Show them how easy the system is.

One thing. Don't let new gamers play Jedi, they'll get terribly frustrated by how WEG handles them.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A route I once took is to begin with the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away"... and then hit play on the Star Wars theme in the background, while improvising a new text about the evil empire combatting the heroic rebels... While the overture fades out, my virtual camera pans down, and I describe a raging space battle... A Star Destroyer and hundreds of small but lethal TIE Fighters vs. a few smaller Rebel capital ships, a couple of X-Wings and other fighters and one simple looking but surprisingly well-armed Space Hauler locked in deadly combat.

I focused descriptions on the hauler and introduced the characters that were hanging on tight in the cockpit... Trying desperately to survive the imperial onslaught. All that with three complete roleplaying novices (my cousins). We had a total blast that evening and especially the music I carefully prepared for running in the background added to the feel and immersion. I also had a very good day improvising and describing. It just went well... ^_^

But I 100% agree with Gry there, Star Wars roleplaying IMHO lives on familiar things, places, characters, etc. It doesn't have to be a "Mos Eisley Cantina Brawl" (Any party in existance who didn't have one of those?) but the little things count... Cameo appearances by remotely familiar characters for instance, like the blue Ortholan musician from Jabbas palace that sold our Defel his worn-out space suit, or other small stuff like a wanted poster of Leia, Han and Luke.

And yes, Jedi are for experienced players. And even I get frustrated with mine, especially since it takes HEAPS of character points to get the skills anywhere close to what you want (need?) them to be. And our GM is kinda stingy in that regard...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and be original, but throw in the Star Wars feel.
For me, aliens and droids were everywhere. And fantastic technology existed but was so subtly integrated into daily lives that the fact it's all being mentioned suddenly makes Star Wars look almost on par with the crazy world of Star Trek.

Seriously, when Aunt Beru was preparing food they had no idea what she was using. There are freaking high tech things everywhere that are just subtly picked up, used for whatever, and than not seen again as they have served their purpose. That's how tech should be advanced, the world is amazingly convenient, fast, and easy.

...until that cantina brawl, that as fast alright, but not the other things.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: