The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cathar and d6: any house rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cathar and d6: any house rules?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Cathar and d6: any house rules? Reply with quote

Hiall,
i'm starting a new group, a new campaign and, well, it's my first campaign as gamemaster as well.
I have some kind of fascination with KOTOR, and i would like to include a Cathar player.
Does anybody knows if there is any house rule that covers this race? Such as special abilities attributes and skills dice, and so on?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who will help!

Smile
Ras
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:

Cathar
Home Planet: Cathar
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D/3D+2
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 1D/4D
STRENGTH 1D/4D
TECHNICAL 1D/3D+2
Special Abilities:
Claws: Cathar have claws that do STR+1D damage.
Move: 12/14
Size: Large
Source: Ultimate Alien Anthology (pages 28-29), Power of the Jedi Sourcebook (pages 65-66)
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Here ya go:

Cathar
Home Planet: Cathar
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D/3D+2
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 1D/4D
STRENGTH 1D/4D
TECHNICAL 1D/3D+2
Special Abilities:
Claws: Cathar have claws that do STR+1D damage.
Move: 12/14
Size: Large
Source: Ultimate Alien Anthology (pages 28-29), Power of the Jedi Sourcebook (pages 65-66)

Ouch, i must have missed these two sources: are they from WEG or FAN based?
Thanks again: it's the second time you come to my rescue! Smile
Ras
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are WEG based. The pages are included in the quote Very Happy

Quote:

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a regular knight in shining armor... 8)

And actually, those are Wizards' d20 books, which I converted to D6. Bear in mind that Juhanni (that was the name of the Cathar in KOTOR, right?) looks quite different to how Wizards depicted the Cathar.
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bear in mind that Juhanni (that was the name of the Cathar in KOTOR, right?) looks quite different to how Wizards depicted the Cathar.

Indeed, and I've always attributed that to different races within the species.

More Cathar info:
Wookieepedia entry on the Cathar
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yeah, I'm a regular knight in shining armor... 8)

And actually, those are Wizards' d20 books, which I converted to D6. Bear in mind that Juhanni (that was the name of the Cathar in KOTOR, right?) looks quite different to how Wizards depicted the Cathar.

Hmm, do you have any source to suggest where to find a method for conversion of stats (in this case: race stats) so that i can avoit bothering you on the forums? Wink

Thanks again for the Juhani info...
Smile
Ras
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can find a very good guideline for d20 conversions over at The Rebellion website.

However, if you simply download my Aliens Stats book (available at the first thread under Tools) you won't really need to, as it contains all the aliens.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, you can find a very good guideline for d20 conversions over at The Rebellion website.

However, if you simply download my Aliens Stats book (available at the first thread under Tools) you won't really need to, as it contains all the aliens.

I did, i read, and i must say you did an awesome work!

BTW: i notice that GG (Galaxy Guides) 14 and 15 are FAN based, i'm sure the official ones arrived to 12 (Alien encounters?). Wich guide should be the n. 13? A WEG one? A Fan one? Or was it left out to avoid an "unlucky" number? Wink
Ras
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

GG 13 is supposed to have been a "Gamblers and Scoundrels" book that apparently fell off the face of the earth. Therefore, when I do an Ep1 book, I plan on naming it GG13.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Alien species balance, Juhani, and stealth Reply with quote

Not to criticize, but those stats for Cathar remind me of one sticking point I have with many West End Games alien stats. Using the Cathar ones above as an example, almost any set of human character attributes will fit, assuming they didn't max out Knowledge or Technical - and in my experience, few players do - and they get an extra +1D of brawling damage and 2m of movement speed as a Cathar. Of course, that's not enough to unbalance things, but there are worse examples among WEG aliens. The ubiquitous 1D/4D range allows for a bit more min-maxing with characters, though.

But this is not intended as criticism. I just finished re-writing all of my self-converted alien species to balance such issues, so it's on my mind.

On a more relevant note, the Wizards of the Coast site had this to say about Juhani-

(QUOTE)
Juhani is a member of a somewhat stealthier subspecies with the ability to alter the pigments in their fur very quickly, thus creating a sort of instant camouflage (50% concealment as per a stealth field generator, above, except that it grants no bonus to characters using sensors to detect the Cathar). Using this ability requires focus and concentration on the part of the Cathar, who must use an attack action to activate or maintain this ability. This subspecies has less prominent claws than its larger relatives, so they do not have natural weapons (as per the Cathar species traits).
(END QUOTE)

That's from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20060126jc81, and I'd interpret the stealth as a +2D bonus to
Sneak that lasts as long as the character takes an additional -1D penalty on all other skill rolls. But that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: