The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help with starting adventure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Help with starting adventure.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Help with starting adventure. Reply with quote

Hiall,
this is my first post here, and i need to do a brief introduction:

I played many RPGs in my life, and recently put my hands over some WEG SW books.
I decided to call my old fellows players to arms again and start playing some SW for a change (played MERP in the last 15 years, more or less).
Since i never used this system i'll have to study a bit the game mechanics, and i'll have few time to build up an adventure myself.
All i need is some help in deciding wich adventure from the original WEG ones is best fitted for a group of completely novice players, starting from level one. Keep in mind i'd love to start from the immediate start of the rebellion, or maybe some years before (just to give my friends some good reasons to hate the New Order), but if this is not possible, i'll revert to wichever published adventure can fit.
Thanks in advance!

Rasputiza
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of points and queries:
1) Game mechanics is simple. Once you start GMing, you'll see what I mean.

2) What adventure supplements do you have?

3) You still play MERP? Awesome.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
Couple of points and queries:
1) Game mechanics is simple. Once you start GMing, you'll see what I mean.

Yes, i got a glimpse of that, but i still have to try it on the "field" Smile

Quote:

Well, right now i don't have a list with me. I'll report back later this evening with a precise listing.

Quote:

3) You still play MERP? Awesome.

Thanks, actually my party disbanded some time ago ( due to Real Life (tm) issues mainly ). I practically played MERP only in these late years (even if i had a bit of many others systems now and then).
It's not the easiest system out there, but it's quite deep, imho. Plus i added some house-rules, not to talk about the magic system taked out from rolemaster (the rest of it we agreed to leave it alone... Wink )

I'll report back later, in any case.
Thanks
Ras
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:

I realized i can make a list out of the material listed in the Rancorpit main site.
Here it is what i have (Journals excluded), i divided them roughly between sourcebooks and adventures:

Rulebook (2ndEd RnE)
The Star Wars Sourcebook
Imperial Sourcebook
Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
Deathstar Technical Companion
Galaxy Guides from 1 to 9
The Star Wars Rules Companion
Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
Gamemaster's Kit
Planets of the Galaxy (Vol. 1 & 3)
Thrawn trilogy books
Dark Empire Sourcebook
Tales of the Jedi Companion
Platt's Starport Guide
Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
The three Tapani Sector sourcebooks
(I left out most of technical sources)

Campaign Pack
Tatooine Manhunt
Strike Force: Shantipole
Battle for the Golden Sun
Otherspace (I & II)
Graveyard of Alderaan
Scavenger Hunt
Crisis on Cloud City
The Far Orbit Project
Domain of Evil
Isis Coordinates
Mission to Lianna
Flashpoint: Brak Sector
Classic Adventures (vol. 1 to 4)
Goroth: Slave of the Empire
Classic Campaigns
Shadows of the Empire:
Secrets of the Sisar Run
Instant Adventures
The Black Sands of Socorro
Operation: Elrood
(I left out the journals)

Where do you suggest i start from?
I would like to start my players as independent cargo freighters/adventurers and slowly build up their involvement into the Rebellion.
Every hint is welcome.
Thanks in advance
Ras
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your list I would suggest the following for possible first time adventures....

Tatooine Manhunt (this was my groups first)
Crisis on Cloud City (mainly becouse this is a familer place for movie fans)

After you knock those out the rest will be snap. And youll probly start makeing up your own.

Good luck and good gameing Wink
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Tatooine Manhunt was my group's first published adventure too. You really settle comfortably into the universe. You're on a timetable, counting down. You have a Clone Wars legacy. You're in and around Mos Eisley with a bunch of ANH background characters. And you got tons of bounty hunters.

Some of the original background source from the adventure are mentioned in other media over the years.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i see that you both agree with Tatooine Manhunt.
I read briefly the adventure and it seems it could be the right one.
My only concern is that the players should start with a Rebel affiliation.
I suppose i could rearrange them to be mercs hired by the rebellion, with not every detail already cleared out.
I'd prefer an adventure wich starts from a smuggler/hired hands situation, and later develops into a more rebellion sided one, but if this is very difficult to find, i could still rely on Tatooine Manhunt.

Thanks a lot for the help though
Ras
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most, if not all, of WEG's ready-to-play Adventure books are tailored for a Rebel group. If you want something different, you should perhaps look at the adventure hooks provided in GG6-Tramp Freighters and other books. They might not be as fleshed out as an adventure book, but with a little work, it gets the job done.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Most, if not all, of WEG's ready-to-play Adventure books are tailored for a Rebel group. If you want something different, you should perhaps look at the adventure hooks provided in GG6-Tramp Freighters and other books. They might not be as fleshed out as an adventure book, but with a little work, it gets the job done.

Yes, good suggestion, thanks.
I'll try to flesh something out of that, and then send them as "hired hands" directly into "Tatooine manhunt". From where i'll consider them enlisted in the Rebellion... Smile
Thanks
Ras
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in all my years of playing and running this game I have had exactly one player actualy be in the rebellion Confused

So just use any adventrue you want and mix it up a little, so thay dont have to evin care about the rebellion aginst the Empire if thay dont want too.

thats my advice anyway 8)

Good gaming too ya!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Tatooine Manhunt is an excellent choice. It was my group's first published adventure also. All those bounty hunters on the cover made it a "must buy".

So, how did your first adventure turn out?
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i had my first glance into an adventure.

Since i had not the entire party with me, i decided to run an "on the fly" one on Tharsis planet (i needed the right hooks to get my players together).
The time is immediatly after the destruction of the first Death Star (nothing revolutionary, here). Tarsis is a sort of ghost world. With rubbled buildings (partly a rest of the Sith bombardment wich took place in the Kotor era), fighting gangs of crime lords, and with the Empire barely present to collect a 20% of criminal incomes.

One is the indebted human owner of a battered freight ship wich needs to get a cargo of delicate biomembranes to Kessel trying to pay her debt to a Tarsis Crime lord (wich happens to be the villain of the adventure found in the Gamemaster Handbook sourcebook: the next one i plan to play). She was formerly a scout for a corporation, but was fired due a massive financial crisis of her employers.

The other two are a force sensitive Cathar (a tribute to Kotor Juhani) Industrial spy/Saboteur, who found herself enslaved after her Gang Leader was killed (and the organization destroyed or swallowed by the winning faction).
She was rescued by a weird mechanic (an exceptional, but lunatic and drug addicted one), wich asked for her as payment (and filled in the difference) after a particularly well done work. He was dumped on Tarsis by his last employer (a wealthy and arrogant space merchant) after he brought a quarrel (about 2nd class spare engine parts he refused to mount on his ship sub-light engine) almost to blaster muzzle point. Don't ask me his race (he's not human) because i cannot remember the name (he chose the race yesterday evening just before beginning to play).

They both needed to "change air", and were in desperate need of a lift. They found the scout and accepted to be hired as mechanics and general servicemen for the passage and food.
Now they managed to fix the engine of the freighter (by scavenge some parts from a crashed ship), break the breathing mask of the mechanic (he's at -1D ATM), and retrieve some misterious data disks and chips from a smuggling compartment of the relict, among rotten away Kessel Spice. I guess this will be the hook of the next adventure (and not the data inserted in the ship, as in the original one).

Next two players i hope they'll have some combat capability (otherwise the party will soon become minced meat, imho), something like a mercenary, and a though spacer looking for a new ship after he got bored of the old one. They'll have to be human (since running a party of 80% aliens should not be easy during the empire era), or a Human and a Droid, but i don't want to push my friends too much in a direction: we'll see.

Ras

BTW: I didn't use sripts Wink
BTW II: after next adventure i'll start the "Tramp freighters" one, as you suggested.
Thanks again!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely got some excellent groundwork for a Fringe campaign. Nice job on the planet Tarsis. Good imagery. Very Happy
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
You've definitely got some excellent groundwork for a Fringe campaign. Nice job on the planet Tarsis. Good imagery. Very Happy

Thanks, actually most inspirational stuff came from WEG modules, Kotor, and past gaming esperiences that i tried to fit in just not to feel being merely copying the original modules...
...i guess i'll rely over modules for a long time in the future (at least till i haven't fully understood the rules...), and rely over brief hand made situations to make the transition over to adventures look less dumb and ordinary than a mere order from a Rebel officer... Smile
Ras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: