The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers from the newer movies and games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Powers from the newer movies and games Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw the cave as anything DSP worthy. Yeah, he failed the test, but nothing else. Most Gamorreans are really pretty stupid, it wouldn't have hurt the "self-proclaimed Jedi Knight" to use some "Jedi Mind Trick".

>-q=p---
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Luke's Force Choking of the Gamorreans was to establish his new 'Tall, Quiet, and Dark Side' persona. It's very possible that he was in constant struggle with fear and anger until after Endor, but I'm not sure about that. He looked pretty calm and collected until Jabba's guard shot his hand. Oh well. It all turned out ok in the end. Smile

Regarding the cave, that was most likely a DSP. No anger, but there was a strong fear vibe going on. Of course if I was in a creepy cave and Vader jumped out at me I'd probably wet myself, but I don't have years of Jedi training and discipline either... Laughing
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose Luke's Force Choking of the Gamorreans was to establish his new 'Tall, Quiet, and Dark Side' persona.

Yeah, but c'mon we're not discussing on the script/storyboard-level. There was no such thing as DSPs in 1982/83, the system was created in 1987 to give gamers a system. Luke had found out, that Obiwan had lied to him, that Vader was his father and now he was becoming a really potent force user - the battle on the skiffs is the first occasion of the trilogy, where he seems to be the master of the situation. Not improvising, not being lured into a trap, not going "oops". Yet he was struggling with dark thoughts and then here he is: back on the grave of his old, innocent self: Tatooine.

He hadn't been able to save Han from being captured, he lost a hand, disappointed his mentor and he already knew, that the Rebel Alliance was about to face the most crucial battle of its history in less than a month; he would have to face Vader and probably kill him or get killed. He had to be successful. He was under severe pressure and got a bit out of balance! "

I see no reason why his behaviour in the cave was worth a DSP, but he was harming the Gamorreans, where he could have cheated them easily and later on the Death Star he gave in to his anger..."calling upon the dark side" in gaming jargon.

>-q=p---
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; ad nauseum.

You're correct that we're not talking storyboards, but we are in fact trying to make the movies fit within the WEG system and our own interpretations of it. I think Luke had his first brush with the Dark Side (it always looks more sinister when I capitalize it, don't you think? Very Happy ) in Yoda's Cave. To be metaphorical about it, Luke brought his own fears and insecurities into the cave with him, thus his duel with Vader posing as his "dark half".

There are many different ways Luke could have handled the Gamorreans. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that he could've just stunned them or beaten them senseless. Of course Luke didn't arrive with a weapon, but a Jedi is never unarmed. Of all the options open to Luke, he was shown using something that appeared to be Force Choke. Ok, it was in the movie and that's fine. My belief for the reasoning behind it was in my last post. Speaking about that or virtually any scene in game terms alters its ramifications. Since most players use the movies as examples, or at least lists of things-to-do, it's important for individual GMs to codify their personal interpretation of movie situations for balanced gameplay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: