The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventure idea I want to run by you guys...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adventure idea I want to run by you guys...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Adventure idea I want to run by you guys... Reply with quote

Hello, I lurk all the time, never really post, but I love this site.
Anyways, recently started Gm'ing for the first time, although I go back a long way as a player to D6... way, way back...

Anyways, I am working on a story idea for my pc's, and I wanted some input as too whether or not you think the idea is silly, cliche or whatever... here goes...

The heroes were employed once upon a time for a legitimate shipping company operating out of Alderaan, turns out, it got destroyed when they were out on assignment, and they came back home to an asteroid field...
By default, they kept the ship they were working with, although now the company's owner's son wants to track down the ship, and the rest of the fleet that survived... he isn't a very good guy, and was at odds with his father, but he is the rightful heir, and he'll use anything at his disposal to find the "thieves" that made off with the ships (this is background info, not yet relevant to the plot).

Anyways, my pc's work for a Twilek "crime boss" who in reality is working with the Rebellion, he has a fortified asteroid base in the Hoth asteroid belt, and he runs a Rebel safe-house there, for guys that need to hide out for a while from the authorities. He is out of the way, and well hidden from prying eyes. He does do shady dealings, and gun running, and spice running, etc. but all for both him and the alliance to benefit with cash, in the end he feels he is hurting the Empire with his illicit trades and so forth...

So, months after the destruction of the Death Star, while the rebellion is scouting locations for a permanent base, he discovers that very close to him, on the planet Hoth, a pirate slaver gang has carved out a small base in the ice... Now obviously, he feels they are too close to him and his turf for his taste, and would like to take them out. So, he offers the Rebellion a chance to use that base that's already there, as a starting point for them to build theirs. The catch is that the rebellion doesn't want to directly be involved in the process. They don't wan't to give themselves away in case things go awry... That's where the PC's come in. They get hired to fly into Hoth, and take out the pirates and their infrastructure, maintaining both the pirate fleet and base intact for the Rebels to take over, and keep building on. (The base as it stands now is small, but a good starting point for the Rebels, and they can begin expanding it into the Echo base from ESB down the line) It makes the crime boss get rid of a problem too close to his base, while helping the Rebellion at the same time....

All he asks is that the pirate ships go to the rebellion, and they can keep whatever booty they find....

What do you think? As a player would you find it interesting?

Last edited by ebertran on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm calling it "All your Echo Base are belong to us".

The geek in me couldn't help it...
Skaff Toxian
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds interesting, in my mind. Just if not you add anything on the way like a twist or a turn or something, it might become an "deal with this then come back to me and get a new mission" adventure. Which I ain't fan off. But if you or your players make a little twist or something, this could turn into a good game.

It is definately a good starting point and a solid plot.
Dask Rowan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Throw in some unexpected turns that really take you into Hoth. Such as a hidden temple beneath the snow or a secret group of guerilla imperials who are hordeing Wampas to fight each other where the survivors will be sent to off world mining and various slavery facilities.
#500. Rock on.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

I know, getting ahead of myself.... hehe
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a pretty good idea for an adventure. It's always nice to tie your players actions to the movie events, when you have the chance. The only real problem I see is if one of your players is very well versed in the Star Wars cannon, in which case he might be put off by this scenario. That's because it's been established that it was Luke Skywalker and some others who scouted the location of Echo Base, and it was built by expanding some natural caverns, not a pirate's hideout. However, if your players don't know that, the pirate scenario is perfectly plausible.

And I'd also take these other suggestions of adding some slight twist to the proceedings. At some point in the adventure being stranded on the icy plains and having to fight off Wampas and the lethal cold sounds like fun.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions... they are not that deeply versed in the lore....

The first encounter deals with the characters rounding up a bunch of tauntauns to use as transportation to sneak up on the base...

could be funny....
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, i wonder if we may use it for our campaigns (i'm running a campaign during the rise of the empire era, an year or so before SW IV)...
Ras
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it.
Would you rather wait for me to finish? or take the idea and tun with it for your own....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
That's because it's been established that it was Luke Skywalker and some others who scouted the location of Echo Base, and it was built by expanding some natural caverns, not a pirate's hideout.

You could perhaps tailor the story line so that your characters have indeed found a pirate's hideout on Hoth. This base of theirs is found in a natural cave system they discovered, but are not equipped properly to be enabled to make a complete survey of the entire system. The pirates therefore simply are using a small fraction of the caves, their concerns being mainly to not be detected and not freeze to death. This being the case, the pirates would be ripe for being wiped out by your PC party... who themselves are not equipped for the kind of in-depth scouting required to properly search the caves, let alone giving suggestions for expanding them. You can have the party deal with the pirates, perhaps some of the local wildlife, perform a perfunctory survey of the cave system, and turn the data over to...

...Mr. Skywalker himself! This will give your party the chance to rub shoulders with a major player, perhaps even join him in the survey (which could be a completely separate leg of this adventure!) of the cave systems, deal with some more wildlife, perhaps find some pirate treasure, and make history as part of the team who scoped Hoth out for the Rebels.

I'll admit that I'm not well-versed enough in the lore to know specifically WHO was responsible besides Luke for this action, but I think it would make for some really good adventuring.

Thoughts, anyone?
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently using the "early Hoth setting" and, as a stickler for continuity, I did a lot of research. Here's an assortment of random stuff I remember -- I don't have the notes in front of me.

Major Kem Monnon (not seen in ESB) was the chief architect of the base itself, responsible for figuring out the layout and overseeing who did what. (IMC he was assigning various PCs to laser-cutter duty, droid maintenance, etc. in-between adventures.) In The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, there's a very very informative article about the construction of Hoth base written from Monnon's perspective. Monnon is also mentioned in the indispensable Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy book (reprinted in Complete Locations).

Shawn Valdez -- seen in the "he might have forgotten to check in" scene -- was the "evacuation officer." He probably would have run drills from the first day Hoth was in use as a central base, even before its completion.

Remember that the snowspeeders seen in the movie aren't operational as of the beginning of the movie. (IMC they used a different model of airspeeder at first, and when they started crashing at moderate altitudes due to the cold, they realized they had a problem.)

Though Luke, Han and the other Rebellion All-Stars were constantly jetting to and from Hoth, IIRC I read somewhere that General Rieekan would have strongly discouraged excessive traffic in and out of the system (for obvious reasons).

I would not use wampa attacks until very shortly before ESB, since (in the cut scenes) they attack the base and IIRC nobody really expected it. But that's me.

And for what it's worth, I've always felt that the base as seen in ESB was still quite new -- newer than the EU stuff implied (it's probably Marvel Comics that's mainly to blame).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: