The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking submissions for new book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taking submissions for new book Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do pyro/cryokenesis I'm willing to let someone else take the reigns for designing that one. I'm a bit at a loss.

Quote:

Control Temperature
Control Difficulty: Easy
Required Powers: Hibernation trance, absorb/dissipate energy
This power may be kept up
Effect: When successfully activated, this power allows the Jedi a stricter control over her body temperature. By speeding or slowing her metabolism she is able to change her core temperature, thereby allowing her to be more resilient to environmental changes. Whether these changes are due to malfunctioning life support systems, or harsh wilderness temperatures, the Force user can withstand greater heat and cold than most beings.

Furthermore, the Jedi can also choose to control her surface body temperature to hide herself from heat-based sensors or hide from species that use heat detection as a primary sense.

In game terms control temperature allows the Jedi to add bonus dice to her survival or stamina skill rolls to live in much harsher environments than she would normally be able to. Alternatively, the Jedi may choose to control their skin temperature to add to their sneak skill roll to avoid being detected by heat sensors. In either usage, the amount of bonus dice depends on the Jedi’s skill roll. Using the power for both purposes in the same round requires an additional action with a +5 to the difficulty for each roll.

Roll beats .................Survival or stamina.....Sneak skill
difficulty by: .............skill bonus:.................bonus:
0-5..........................+2D ..........................+2D+1
6-14........................+3D...........................+3D
15-21.......................+4D.......................... +3D+2
25+.........................+5D...........................+4D+1

Please let me know if we need to change the chart.

I'm thinking about consolidating to one chart, and then starting the bonuses at +3D. My thought on that was that it takes two actions to either roll stamina/sneak and keep the power up. So, starting at +2D means there's no benefit.

Should it be 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D for both? There was also a suggestion for making this two separate powers. Does everyone else think this is necessary for such similar dynamics?

Quote:
Aquatic Force
Alter Difficulty: Easy for a bubble 1-2 meters in diameter (character scale); Moderate for a bubble 3-5 meters in diameter (character scale); Difficult for a bubble 6-9 meters in diameter (speeder scale); Very Difficult for a bubble 10-14 in diameter (speeder scale); Heroic for a bubble 15-20 meters in diameter (walker scale).
Required Powers: Telekinesis
Warning: If a character uses this power to harm a living being, he or she gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: This power was originally developed by Kit Fisto during the Old Republic. The original intent of the power was to clear out sub aquatic passages and submerged lava tubes. Kit Fisto was able to summon the power of the Force to create a great a sphere of surface tension that he could hurl in a direct line. The useful effect was that it cleared away all debris and loose material so the passage could be utilized for other purposes.
There have been reports that Kit Fisto may have used this power against droid soldiers and vehicles during the Clone Wars. However, these rumors have yet to be solidly confirmed.
In game terms, a Jedi using this power must be underwater to use this power. Using the power of the Force he creates surface tension that is under his limited control. He may hurl the shpere in the direction that he chooses. If the Jedi wishes to throw the aquatic force at a particular object, the gamemaster chooses the Strength of the structure or debris (the default strength of an object is 2D unless otherwise declared). The aquatic force does 4D damage, though the scale varies depending on the size of the aquatic Force.

Latest revisions on aquatic Force.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, there is, of course, another way to go about the fooling of sensors and such.

The Jedi uses (*gasp! an already existing power!) Telekinesis to either excite or slow down the air molecules around their body, keeping a volume of air with a constant temperature moving with them as they progress. The sensors detect the air, not the Jedi. In fact, the TK could maybe be used to make that volume of air actually more dense than it normally would be, making it 'hard,' so it acted more like a shield or somthing.

It would be a lot less stress on the body...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I'm not really fond of these extreme uses of the base TK to manipulate molecules and such. That's just not how I see the power. I think these sort of micro manipulations, if possible, should require a specific power. Otherwise almost anything can be reduced to an extreme use of TK:

- Control Another's Disease? Grasp at the viruses through TK and remove them from the body.

- Affect Mind? Gently compress with TK the target's brain in the memory area and he'll forget the last 10 minutes.

A bit silly, I know, but you get the point...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely. I understand completely.

I'm just the type who likes to find unusual ways to use the existing powers. A big part of that sprung from what seemed to me to be a huge gap in what was listed as a Force power and what I thought should be accomplishable through the Force. Since there wasn't a description for it, I kinda equated the lack as calling for an "Omni Power," as is found in DC Heroes, which basically mimics any power they list. I would take that concept further to the point where, within reason, the Force user concentrates on the result they want to accomplish (which is how a lot of the novels actually describe the Jedi's use of the Force in the first place), and then go from there.

Plus, if there's a way to use a new application of an existing power, it's one less thing we have to create.

But I'm also all for actually creating those powers as well. For those of us who are more technical-minded, it can be much easier for them to have a specific power mapped out, rather than to have to come up with different ways to use something that might not be applicable; at least, from a certain point of view. Wink

Yeah, I can be real easy to get along with... Laughing
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Isn't Yoda considered to be like one of the greatest masters of the Force? Maybe that was just a showing of his own abilities over that of Obi Wan and Mace. Perhaps using a saber was the only way they could channel the Force Lightning, but Yoda could do it bare handed. Makes sense to me anyways...

IIRC (and as i stated before) Joda not only absorbs the Lightning attack, but also redirects it against Dooku, while OB1 and Mace simply diddipate it through their lightsabers. Imho, absorbing the attack and repulsing it back should be much more difficult that simply absorb/dissipate it...
Ras
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are there any other ideas for new Force Powers, or any powers we should work on further, or should I send the finalized copy off to Gry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: