The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A question of scale...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> A question of scale...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: A question of scale... Reply with quote

Q1: When does a combat ship cease being a Starfighter and become a Capital Ship?
Q2: The same question for Transports, as I would imagine big Bulk Transports would handle more like Capital Ships that Starfighter-scale craft.

A good friend of mine Fiendrunner once made a house rule of 50 meters being the limit for Starfighter-scale vessels - regardless wether they were a combat ship or a transport.

In the case of a Bulk Cruiser it's laden mass is more like a Capital Ship.
Q3: Would you still use Space Transports as the piloting skill though?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can give you a fair answer based on stuying ALL of WEG ship stats for my "Starships Stats" book.

Questions 1 & 2 are the same, there's no differentiation between transport and combat ships, when it comes to scale. Since the rules for when a ship ceases to be starfighter scale and becomes capital scale were never really established by WEG, there's a fair amount of contradiction, with a few starfighter-scale ships bigger than some capital-scale others. But taking in the whole lot I can safely say that the switch between starfighter and capital-scale occurs somewhere around the 80 meters mark.

Question 3: The vast majority of capital-scale bulk transports still use the Space Transports skill. There are only a few exceptions like the Bacta Transport or the Quasar-Fire Bulk Cruiser, but their small number can be attributed to WEG inconsistency.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter how big a ship is when you are trying to decide what scale to use. The scales are simply a rules mechanic that cut down on the number of die you have to roll for the larger vehicles and starships. If I wanted to I could list Star Destroyers as starfighter scale but the number of die I would have to roll (22D or more for hull? I don't have my scale chart with me) would make running the Star Destroyer really inconvienent.

The Skipray Blastboat is a common cause of confusion. It is only 25m in length but listed as Capital. WEG says this is due to power output, which is true it packs some capital scale weapons. When people complain about this fighter I say just treat it as Starfighter scale. This means you will roll 8D+1 for hull instead of 2D+1.

Another example is Jabba's sail barge. It is big but it only uses speeder scale if I remember correctly. It is very lightly armored and doesn't possess enough die to warrant going up to walker scale.

So don't worry about how big it is. Look at how many die you have to roll when it's starfighter scale and if this is too many adjust it to capital scale accordingly.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing scales affects the ship more than just removing excess dice from Hull rolls. You should also keep in mind that if you make a ship Capital-scale (and its weapons are of the same scale), it'll also have a harder time hitting smaller vessels.

I agree that there are some freaks, the biggest of which is the Blastboat. But if you look at all of WEG's ships and their scales, you'll see that what I said in my previous post holds true.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my own question along these lines. when converting speed between scales, particularly Space to Move. Now there is a chart in the SER&E, but it did not make sense to me (P129). well, is there an equation to get from space, to meters so its easy to see the range of weapons in space Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For weapon ranges, usually 1 space unit equals 100 meters. However when converting speeds from Space to Move it's better to search for an official ship with the same Space score and use its Move stats.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
i have my own question along these lines. when converting speed between scales, particularly Space to Move. Now there is a chart in the SER&E, but it did not make sense to me (P129). well, is there an equation to get from space, to meters so its easy to see the range of weapons in space Razz
This is really tricky. In a rules Q&A of the 2nd Ed Gamemaster handbook it says some ships with the same Space might have different atmospheric speed due to hull aerodynamics. I would just do what Gry said and find something close.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, some ships have a notable performance difference in space and in an atmosphere. However that is a very rare thing which can be ignored most of the time...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
For weapon ranges, usually 1 space unit equals 100 meters. However when converting speeds from Space to Move it's better to search for an official ship with the same Space score and use its Move stats.

True, though i have seen some weapons where it was 1Su = 200 meters.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts ppl, they are, as always, appreciated.
Smile

I have another question that fits within this thread.

The stats for Slave I in GG15-Attack of the Clones lists the stats for Seismic Charges, but fails to indicate a scale. I know that this usually indicates the scale is the same as the vessel it is being carried on, but with the amount of damage they caused to even quite large asteroids in the movie, would they really be considered starfighter scale? I just can't imagine a Corellian Corvette's hull soaking all the damage from one of those things.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, those stats are based on the official Wizards' d20 stats, and I even souped it up a bit, a direct conversion would put the max damage at 8D, not 10D.

That said, I agree that they look like they could do a lot more damage. They tear through those asteroids pretty well (though one can wonder how those asteroids compare to a ship's hull and shields, I believe they are much more fragile). Playing out your example, a seismic charge going off at point-blank against a corvette would be 10D versus 12D (if the corvette has its shield up properly). That's not very likely to tear through it, though it has a chance of lightly damaging it.

I for one don't think that's too wrong. But it's your game, if you want them more powerful, be my guest. You could add some 3D to the damage, or change it to Capital scale and reduce 3D.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gry for the additional info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: